Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 03, 2013, 05:29:18 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on August 03, 2013, 08:44:41 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2013, 05:15:56 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on June 02, 2013, 06:41:22 AM
Quote from: Faust on May 28, 2013, 12:59:32 PM
Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on May 27, 2013, 01:12:40 AM
Dunno if anyone's mentioned Girl Genius, I haven't read it in a while.
My ex turned me on to it.

Haven't read it, its a webcomic yeah?
Yes.
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104
It's fun in a very pulpy mad science kinda way.

I'm still on the hunt for copies of Transmet. Currently volumes 0, 1, 2, 3 and 7 are in my possession.

Amazon, if the brick & mortar stores don't have it.
in to much pain to go check but I think I actually have everything now.  fucking Spider  :argh!:

What happened?

PT'd too hard this week. It hurts to stand fully erect.

Cain

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 03, 2013, 04:48:37 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on August 03, 2013, 02:30:07 AM
Quote from: Faust on August 03, 2013, 12:10:29 AM
My favourite single issue in the whole series was frenchies shaggy dog origin story.

I'm currently reading some of Garth Ennis's Section 8 comics. One of them clearly isn't super powered and is just an overwieght mexican rapist, he's called bueno excellente which is all he ever says in the comic.

The only Comic of Ennis that I didn't like was Crossed. It seemed like Gross for gross sake with little Characterisation. At least there is meat to his gross with the Boys and the like.

Did section 8 get their own spinoff? Man, I really gotta catch up on comics. Dog Welder is the most well developed super hero in all of comics.

haven't read Crossed or Boys but might pick up the latter if I can find them. Currently reading his Kev stuff from the authority.

btw, Dok. Warren Ellis's Ocean was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. Picked up Orbiter and No Hero as well. Good stuff.

Superhero shit is crap.  Hence why I liked The Boys.

Garth Ennis actively hates superheroes, he finds characters like Captain America insulting to the likes of real life soldiers who fought in world war two.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 06, 2013, 03:29:27 PM
My favourite single issue in the whole series was frenchies shaggy dog origin story.

I'm currently reading some of Garth Ennis's Section 8 comics. One of them clearly isn't super powered and is just an overwieght mexican rapist, he's called bueno excellente which is all he ever says in the comic.

The only Comic of Ennis that I didn't like was Crossed. It seemed like Gross for gross sake with little Characterisation. At least there is meat to his gross with the Boys and the like.

Did section 8 get their own spinoff? Man, I really gotta catch up on comics. Dog Welder is the most well developed super hero in all of comics.

haven't read Crossed or Boys but might pick up the latter if I can find them. Currently reading his Kev stuff from the authority.

btw, Dok. Warren Ellis's Ocean was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. Picked up Orbiter and No Hero as well. Good stuff.

Garth Ennis actively hates superheroes, he finds characters like Captain America insulting to the likes of real life soldiers who fought in world war two.

Yeah, that was made pretty evident, especially in the Ardennes scene.

I agree with him absolutely.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 06, 2013, 05:40:56 PM
Quote from: Faust on August 06, 2013, 03:29:27 PM

Yeah, that was made pretty evident, especially in the Ardennes scene.

I agree with him absolutely.

Well it makes sense, most comics have been written by antisocial nerds who never saw combat (prophet Jack Kirby was a notable exception). They are idolised Jock monstrosities that these people envisioned the war to be fought by, that was when they weren't just used as propaganda.

Bobby Campbell

This is great, Faust!

I will for sure try out the new Wonder Woman, Irredeemable, and Hickman's FF.

I finished Grant Morrison's Action Comics run yesterday and holy shit it is one of the craziest pop mythos stories imaginable! It seems like it kinda sucks and is incoherent for like the first 9 issues (I bailed on it for over a year, only revisiting it recently out of morbid curiosity) and then this "5th dimensional" plot device kicks in and it turns out to have been awesome all along. I'm not even recommending reading it, because it's so much inside baseball, but damn it was an intense reading experience! (I already know it's not most cats' saucer of milk, but it blew my hair back something fierce)

Dan Slott's Spider-Man run continues to delight, from amazing to superior, the only book I actually follow as it comes out.  I was mostly a Spider-Man kid and this run really pays off all of that useless continuity I've got stuck in my head from 20 years of reading comics.

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye rules pretty hard.

Though my fav comics as of late have been Tiny Titans & Superman Family Adventures. (Kids comics by Art Baltazar & Franco)  Reading these w/ my kids has been the best thing ever. The art is this virtuoso display of candy colored simplicity and the writing is simultaneously kid friendly silliness and DC universe metafiction. They love it, I love it, and suddenly I find myself remembering what got me into this nonsense to begin with.

Faust

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on August 08, 2013, 02:03:12 AM
This is great, Faust!

I will for sure try out the new Wonder Woman, Irredeemable, and Hickman's FF.

I finished Grant Morrison's Action Comics run yesterday and holy shit it is one of the craziest pop mythos stories imaginable! It seems like it kinda sucks and is incoherent for like the first 9 issues (I bailed on it for over a year, only revisiting it recently out of morbid curiosity) and then this "5th dimensional" plot device kicks in and it turns out to have been awesome all along. I'm not even recommending reading it, because it's so much inside baseball, but damn it was an intense reading experience! (I already know it's not most cats' saucer of milk, but it blew my hair back something fierce)

Dan Slott's Spider-Man run continues to delight, from amazing to superior, the only book I actually follow as it comes out.  I was mostly a Spider-Man kid and this run really pays off all of that useless continuity I've got stuck in my head from 20 years of reading comics.

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye rules pretty hard.

Though my fav comics as of late have been Tiny Titans & Superman Family Adventures. (Kids comics by Art Baltazar & Franco)  Reading these w/ my kids has been the best thing ever. The art is this virtuoso display of candy colored simplicity and the writing is simultaneously kid friendly silliness and DC universe metafiction. They love it, I love it, and suddenly I find myself remembering what got me into this nonsense to begin with.
I've always meant to read Grant Morrison's  run on Justice League. I read His batman stuff and I enjoyed it up until Batman inc. It was meant to be good, and comes soon after his less than graceful departure from Marvel so he put a hell of a lot of effort into it.

I have Matt fractions hawkeye I just haven't read it yet. I don't know anything about it other then the art looked gorgeous enough to buy.

On the DC front I started out reading all the titles of the new 52. I am down to just Wonder Woman. Tiny Titans and superman family adventures look adorable tough.

Doktor Howl

Fucking superheroes.   :argh!:

Perverts with no genitals, wearing spandex, and wrestling in the streets.  Decades-long rehashes of the same plot points.  Superman is, what 75 years old, now?  How many times has he been dead?  HUGE plot points become smoothed down, soap opera-style, until they are tiny blips. 

IT'S CRAP.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 02:39:48 PM

Perverts with no genitals, wearing spandex, and wrestling in the streets.  Decades-long rehashes of the same plot points.  Superman is, what 75 years old, now?  How many times has he been dead?  HUGE plot points become smoothed down, soap opera-style, until they are tiny blips. 

IT'S CRAP.

Depends entirely on the writer.
There are once off stories that are excellent (superman Red son, Batman the long halloween). Jonathan Hickmans fantastic four was its own thing.
There are about five to ten exceptions maximum but they exist.

Cain

And there is Deadpool.

But that aside...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2013, 02:45:52 PM

IT'S CRAP.

There are once off stories that are excellent (superman Red son, Batman the long halloween). Jonathan Hickmans fantastic four was its own thing.

Actually, my main point of contention is the whole publisher-owned franchize.  You get some good writers, you get some bad writers, but the stories are too rehashed for the old fans, and incomprehensible to the new fans.

My view is, a story has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  Then you go do new characters.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 02:55:41 PM

IT'S CRAP.

Actually, my main point of contention is the whole publisher-owned franchize.  You get some good writers, you get some bad writers, but the stories are too rehashed for the old fans, and incomprehensible to the new fans.

My view is, a story has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  Then you go do new characters.

Yeah, Theres only one meandering series that is actually good consistently and that's Hell blazer. Everything I've listed was its own story start to finish encapsulated.
Publisher owned franchises are horrific. if you look at how many good writers the big two have fucked over in their history its obvious that its an ugly ugly industry.

If I ever write a comic I'd self publish because the alternative would make me resent characters I've enjoyed since childhood.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2013, 02:59:51 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 02:55:41 PM

IT'S CRAP.

Yeah, Theres only one meandering series that is actually good consistently and that's Hell blazer. Everything I've listed was its own story start to finish encapsulated.
Publisher owned franchises are horrific. if you look at how many good writers the big two have fucked over in their history its obvious that its an ugly ugly industry.

If I ever write a comic I'd self publish because the alternative would make me resent characters I've enjoyed since childhood.

One of the interesting things is that they fuck EVERYONE over.  10 years ago or so, Marvel stopped overprinting.  That meant that stores would only get what they preordered, with no reorders available.

Given that most stores operate on a margin measured in angstroms, that means that they had to ONLY carry the big name shit (ie, franchize material), because that's usually a reliable seller, and if they don't have it, the customers will go somewhere else.

Which means that unless you're Warren Ellis or the like, your product is not going on the shelf through Diamond, because 90% of the stores can't afford to carry you.
Molon Lube

Faust

Its a bit more malicious then that, they are deliberately giving first choice of trades, wider selection to non comic book stores such as Eason's and Waterstone's(Barnes and nobel in the us?) in an effort to gain a foot hold on more credible retail outlets, deliberately undercutting small comic book stores who have supported them for the last 70 years.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2013, 03:29:31 PM
Its a bit more malicious then that, they are deliberately giving first choice of trades, wider selection to non comic book stores such as Eason's and Waterstone's(Barnes and nobel in the us?) in an effort to gain a foot hold on more credible retail outlets, deliberately undercutting small comic book stores who have supported them for the last 70 years.

Here, they almost signed an exclusive with WalMart.  Yes, they were almost that stupid, in their trying to find a way to cut Diamond out of the picture.

The fact that they wised up gives me a sad.  I would love nothing more than to watch Marvel collapse, especially after the "pay back" debacle.  They are rotten people, and bad things should happen to them.

Molon Lube