News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

They should, but you have to understand they are already failed companies, DC went bankrupt and Time warner Bought them out.
Marvel went bankrupt and Disney bought them out.

Now Evil movie execs are reaping the rewards of the intellectual properties that those two companies never realised could be so lucrative, or if they did realise it they never had the talent to pull it off.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2013, 04:09:04 PM
They should, but you have to understand they are already failed companies, DC went bankrupt and Time warner Bought them out.

Now Evil movie execs are reaping the rewards of the intellectual properties that those two companies never realised could be so lucrative, or if they did realise it they never had the talent to pull it off.

Watching them try to bill Stan Lee $1 Mn for having "overpaid him for value delivered" was pretty funny.

They also tried to bill Warren Ellis $20K.  They didn't get the money in either case.  I would have paid to be a fly on the wall when Warren Ellis talked to them.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2013, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2013, 04:09:04 PM

Watching them try to bill Stan Lee $1 Mn for having "overpaid him for value delivered" was pretty funny.

They also tried to bill Warren Ellis $20K.  They didn't get the money in either case.  I would have paid to be a fly on the wall when Warren Ellis talked to them.

And he is one of the writers who is still more amicable with them. Which goes to show what they did to the rest.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 03, 2013, 04:46:58 AM
Quote from: Faust on August 03, 2013, 12:10:29 AM
My favourite single issue in the whole series was frenchies shaggy dog origin story.

I'm currently reading some of Garth Ennis's Section 8 comics. One of them clearly isn't super powered and is just an overwieght mexican rapist, he's called bueno excellente which is all he ever says in the comic.

The only Comic of Ennis that I didn't like was Crossed. It seemed like Gross for gross sake with little Characterisation. At least there is meat to his gross with the Boys and the like.

Won't read Crossed.  Worst thing is, the writers that took over the franchise are even worse with the gratuitous gore.

Yes, The Boys had a story.  It was dark and it was awful, but it was still an outstanding story.  Crossed is just people getting chopped up, and is a further reason that you should keep that maniac Ennis on your side of the pond.

Loved the Boys. I was kinda hoping from more from Mallory but I can't really complain. Quite liked the first Crossed Run too, the salt reveal was fucking hilarious/horrible. Some of the stuff produced from the webcomic isn't bad either, but it is becoming an exercise in "how fucked up can we make this". Looking at you Latham.

Other Recommendations without reading the thread:

Strange tale/Legend of Luther Strode - What happens when the ultrabody magazines in the back of comic books works.

Ferals - Replace the crossed with Werewolves and you're done. Latham with his own story so it's not trying quite as hard to shock for the sake of it. Still not above pulling that shit though. 

Punisher/Fury MAX - The first punisher MAX run is stunning. No superhero bullshit, and tales that make you twitch. Fury MAX is just as good, if not better due to the subject matter handled.

Supergod - Grant Morrison. Read it.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Faust

Supergods, was grant Morrison book on the history of the comic book industry, where he unfairly praises people who stole other peoples work. He Fairly rips into marvel for being an awful company, while sucking off DC (it was written a year or so before they pushed him out). if it was written now I would expect it to be a hell of a lot nastier.

He's a good study (always the apprentice never the master) of other writers works and has interesting opinions on those. But he also pads the study with self indulgent tripe about his childhood, the book is quite good if you skip these entirely.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2013, 05:24:50 PM
Supergods, was grant Morrison book on the history of the comic book industry, where he unfairly praises people who stole other peoples work.

Oh, okay.  Supergod was a Warren Ellis series that more or less sucked my ass until it blistered.

Supergods, though...I'll give that a read.

Incidentally, Ellis was rimjobbing DC in the early part of the last decade, too.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Quote from: Faust on August 08, 2013, 05:24:50 PM
Supergods, was grant Morrison book on the history of the comic book industry, where he unfairly praises people who stole other peoples work. He Fairly rips into marvel for being an awful company, while sucking off DC (it was written a year or so before they pushed him out). if it was written now I would expect it to be a hell of a lot nastier.

He's a good study (always the apprentice never the master) of other writers works and has interesting opinions on those. But he also pads the study with self indulgent tripe about his childhood, the book is quite good if you skip these entirely.

My bad, I did mean this one. If anyone cares I'll throw up a quick review at some point but the above is pretty accurate.

Back with my library and I'll also mention:

Farscape - Surprinsgly good run. If you liked the show, it'll give you more of the same. There's a Scorpius run/mini that's pretty classy too.

Stitched - Ennis Afghan Zombies. Started strong, now going who the fuck knows where. Could go either way.

I'll assume Preacher/Y/Scalped have already been mentioned and widely known for quality.

A God Somewhere - Sort of a retake on superman, but more focus on the humans around the individual. Gets pretty fucked up but quite a compelling tale if you can get into it.

My Friend Dahmer - Guy went to school with Jeffrey Dahmer. Wrote a comic about what he was kind. Very honest take on what he was like as a kid from a peer perspective.

Clive Barker is still penning Hellraiser Comics, quality varies hilarious from issue to issue. Even page to page sometimes when it seems an artist has quit on him. Again. He's doing a new thing called "Last Testament" as well, looks OK. If you like to zone out to crappy horror stuff every now and then.

Will read thread before making any other suggestions
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bobby Campbell

Faust, these Hickman Fantastic Four books are outstanding!  Thanks for recommendation!

Pope Pixie Pickle

I bought the trade paperback "India" from Hellblazer today. :)

I NEED MOAR JOHN CONSTANTINE.

I forgot how much I missed the old bastard.

Faust

Quote from: Pixie on August 14, 2013, 03:35:41 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of the writer for those final few arcs. I love how he ages the characters and has him settling down but I found the magic realism had become out and out fantasy. none the less he carried the arc to a decent ending that satisfied me, something I never expected for the end, I couldn't see a good way of doing it.
none the less, I would recommend hellblazer to everyone. start to finish, all 300 issues not only are there some amazing stories in there, the comic reads as sedimentary layers of comic book history and evolution.

Faust

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on August 14, 2013, 03:19:43 AM
Faust, these Hickman Fantastic Four books are outstanding!  Thanks for recommendation!

I know it's unexpected isn't it. I never liked the fantastic four comics before reading Hickmans run with them. If you like Nathanial richards, you should read S.H.I.E.L.D, he and Howard Stark are the fictional characters in that, apart from them its a superhero comic about a lot of the historical great artisans.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Faust on August 14, 2013, 08:28:57 AM
Quote from: Pixie on August 14, 2013, 03:35:41 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of the writer for those final few arcs. I love how he ages the characters and has him settling down but I found the magic realism had become out and out fantasy. none the less he carried the arc to a decent ending that satisfied me, something I never expected for the end, I couldn't see a good way of doing it.
none the less, I would recommend hellblazer to everyone. start to finish, all 300 issues not only are there some amazing stories in there, the comic reads as sedimentary layers of comic book history and evolution.

I am going to start buying the trades from the start, I think.

Faust

The first volumns are good but are a product of their age, Good writing but very 80ies. It doesn't hit its stride until its timeless brilliant run by Garth Ennis. Every writer brought something cool to the character though, the only one I didn't like was Brian Azzerello arbitrarily killed him off at the end of his run (lord knows why).

The next writer just negates that with John sitting in the pub telling the story to his mates "Of course I didn't die, but thats a story for another day". Which while funny shouldn't have had to have been done.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Faust on August 14, 2013, 04:52:08 PM
The first volumns are good but are a product of their age, Good writing but very 80ies. It doesn't hit its stride until its timeless brilliant run by Garth Ennis. Every writer brought something cool to the character though, the only one I didn't like was Brian Azzerello arbitrarily killed him off at the end of his run (lord knows why).

The next writer just negates that with John sitting in the pub telling the story to his mates "Of course I didn't die, but thats a story for another day". Which while funny shouldn't have had to have been done.

The Ennis and Delano runs were the ones I read most of.