News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

They are my favourite. Warren Ellis's run was hard to read (because of the levels of horror), but that was kind of the point of his arc, If you are reading them in order, make sure to get your hands on the single issue "Shoot" about schoolyard killings. It was written before Columbine to be published like three weeks after, obviously DC didn't go for it, which is a shame it is excellent.

http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=10078
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on August 14, 2013, 07:47:46 PM
They are my favourite. Warren Ellis's run was hard to read (because of the levels of horror), but that was kind of the point of his arc, If you are reading them in order, make sure to get your hands on the single issue "Shoot" about schoolyard killings. It was written before Columbine to be published like three weeks after, obviously DC didn't go for it, which is a shame it is excellent.

I have Shoot in a collection of one offs by various authors.  I'll get the name of the collection and the publisher, if you guys want.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Wolfgang Absolutus

I was reading the new Animal Man run and it was actually quite good except that his wife is really just the worst. She reminds me of skylar from breaking bad.
Thinking and Breathing are my main occupations.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 14, 2013, 07:57:19 PM
Quote from: Faust on August 14, 2013, 07:47:46 PM

I have Shoot in a collection of one offs by various authors.  I'll get the name of the collection and the publisher, if you guys want.
It was eventually reprinted, everything in that collection was originally banned or shitcanned for whatever reason.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=shoot%20warren%20ellis

Faust

Quote from: Wolfgang Absolutus on August 14, 2013, 08:43:10 PM
I was reading the new Animal Man run and it was actually quite good except that his wife is really just the worst. She reminds me of skylar from breaking bad.

When it crossed over with swamp thing it was kind of rubbish, it took way too long to get where they were going. But Animal man having a comic at all is great, he's overlooked so often.

Pope Pixie Pickle

There was the one-shot that was either by Delano or Ennis that was set in Belfast and Constantine's love interest was part of it. It went into racism and irish nationalism and such. I cannot for the life of me remember the title but it was really good.

Faust

Quote from: Pixie on August 15, 2013, 04:03:52 AM
There was the one-shot that was either by Delano or Ennis that was set in Belfast and Constantine's love interest was part of it. It went into racism and irish nationalism and such. I cannot for the life of me remember the title but it was really good.
Yeah that was Ennis, Kit was a good character she had a quiet strength to her and was one of the only characters to successfully give John the heave ho before he ruined her life, Ennis is from Northern Ireland himself so  I'd Imagine a lot of his run was based on personal experience.

Faust

I just finished Blue is the warmest colour (Le bleu est une couleur chaude) by Julie Maroh.

It's a really touching story about a woman who's partner has died, recounting when they first met via entries in her partners diaries. The art is washed out, willowy, using colour sparsely and characters are drawn with long lean bodies with beautiful emphasis on lips and eyes.

The entries recount the deceased first relationships and hesitant, slow to develop homosexual relationship with her partner. The strange thing is you can instantly connect to the girl and understand her hopes and feelings, but our point of view character her lover is the mystery who is gradually developed to us. Normally when it's recounting the deceased its exploring their lives.

I love this book. It sad without being depressing, and is completely enjoyable.

I'm looking for other books by her and I'm finding Skandalon, but I fear it may not have been translated from French yet, which I can barely speak and would be frustrating to read without grasping it all.

Apparently there was a movie of this this year that the author was unhappy about because it sensationalises the sex scenes, so I'll probably give it a look even if it's not been adapted well.

Faust

Incidentally, there is a Constantine series coming out, not to unfairly judge it but there's a lot of ways it could be awful like the Keanu film, here's hoping they don't fuck it up...

Ben Shapiro

Currently reading the TMNT reboot where everyone was reincarnated into turtles that were experimented by Baxter stockman to be used by Krang to conqueor Dimension X and taken the shredder on earth. They make everything  plausible in this series. There's a reference to reincarnation being realistic. I'll dig it up later today.

Also everyone has their own personality. No cowabunga party time bullshit.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Faust on October 14, 2013, 12:42:46 AM

Incidentally, there is a Constantine series coming out, not to unfairly judge it but there's a lot of ways it could be awful like the Keanu film, here's hoping they don't fuck it up...

I'll give it a look anyway. I do enjoy a bloody good moan about inaccuracies, so it'll keep me engaged even if it sucks.

The Good Reverend Roger

Garth Ennis, The Boys - Roger gives it a 9.5/10...It lost .5 due to the unnecessary drama between Wee Hughie and Starlight (which had no reason to go on for 5 books, and started to drag the story down).

Garth Ennis, War Stories, volumes I & II - Roger gives it an 8/10 as a whole, with two of the stories (D Day Dodgers and the one about The Nightingale) getting a solid 10/10.

Grant Morrison, Flex Mentallo - Roger gives it a 7/10.  Surreal, fun, but too much whining by the real life dude.

I also read Wormwood by Frank Templesmith (all 3 trade paperbacks), but it's a little too complex to write a simple score for, so later this morning I'll write it up proper.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 14, 2013, 03:22:00 PM

I also read Wormwood by Frank Templesmith (all 3 trade paperbacks), but it's a little too complex to write a simple score for, so later this morning I'll write it up proper.

Templesmith's one of my favourite artists. It is so eerie and claustrophobic, very much perfect for the horror genre while being adaptable enough for other kinds of stories. He did the art for Doctor who and it was gorgeous but just as creepy as any of his other stuff.

Bobby Campbell

Finally finished Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run and man was it awesome! I think I'll try some of his creator owned stuff.

Probably will continue on to Matt Fraction's Fantastic Four/FF run as well, especially since he's got Bagley & Allred along w/ him.

Reading Morrison's Doom Patrol run now, took me several tries to get into it, but I'm hooked now.

Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo's appearances on Kevin Smith's "Fat Man on Batman" podcast have persuaded me to keep up w/ their Batman run.

David Mazzucchelli's Asterios Polyp was really cool and super inventive.

The kids really like Aw Yeah Comics, except when there is a fill in artist, they scream "that's not Art Baltazar!"

Oh I really should finish "The Boys."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on October 14, 2013, 03:44:18 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 14, 2013, 03:22:00 PM

Templesmith's one of my favourite artists. It is so eerie and claustrophobic, very much perfect for the horror genre while being adaptable enough for other kinds of stories. He did the art for Doctor who and it was gorgeous but just as creepy as any of his other stuff.

Wormwood is Templesmith's writing, too.  The writing's not phenomenal (as in Fell and Choker), but the artwork is probably his best to date.

Basic premise:  A strip club is a front for a group of immortal women who guard a gate between universes.  Wormwood is a patron of said strip club, and the women's supervisor with regard to the gate.  Wormwood is a millenia-old worm that animates corpses, and rides them around as a body.  He has a robot sidekick modeled after a third of ZZ Top, who has handy attachments and a lust for his own set of genitals.

Oh, and the leprechauns.  Ho ho ho!