News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Campbell

Oh cool... now we're really talking!

I don't think it's necessary to take down super hero comics so that more literary forms can arise, in fact a case could be made for allowing the former to subsidize the latter, but it's a point very well taken that I would do well to make more of an effort to discover and support better comics.

It is pretty dumb that I'm all caught up on Superior Spider-Man but not Private Eye, etc.

Roger, I didn't know you wrote comics! That's awesome. Are they available for reading?  I'd love to check them out. I learned those same lessons via self publishing, though perhaps not as quickly or definitively.  I'm still at it, more so than ever even.

I plan on trying a little bit of everything... (Except paying artists in advance and paying for large print runs... Never again.)

• I just figured out how to set up 'pay-what-you-want' digital downloads on my website. 

• I just submitted my first comic to Comixology.  I'm not so much into their DRM or price point, but it's a non-exclusive distribution agreement, so I figure it's worth a try.

• I acquired a few used laser printers, so I figure I'll get back in the mini comix game and also acquaint the editors of every publisher I can find w/ samples of my work.

• I'm developing a comic w/ a fairly well known writer, so I figure maybe I'll try to go the FreakAngels.com route w/ that, tho slightly updated.  Free weekly updates - > collected into digital issues for cheap -> hopefully eventually into printed graphic novel?

• I like the idea of Print on Demand, but only if I own the printer.  The problem w/ going through a third party is you either end up charging the reader an exorbitant price just so you can get a couple pennies, or you charge them just a high price and get nothing.  My main regret from my print years is I wish I had used the money I payed for printing services and instead bought my own commercial printer.  I could have used it as part of my graphic design business, and if for some reason someone wanted to buy a copy of Suburban Legend Comics #3 or whatever, I could just open up the pdf and hit "print."

Faust

Cool Bobby,

Same offer I made roger stands for yourself or anyone else who wants. If you want to advertise on the front page just give me a shout.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on October 16, 2013, 02:07:34 AM

Oh cool... now we're really talking!

I don't think it's necessary to take down super hero comics so that more literary forms can arise, in fact a case could be made for allowing the former to subsidize the latter, but it's a point very well taken that I would do well to make more of an effort to discover and support better comics.

It is pretty dumb that I'm all caught up on Superior Spider-Man but not Private Eye, etc.

Roger, I didn't know you wrote comics! That's awesome. Are they available for reading?  I'd love to check them out. I learned those same lessons via self publishing, though perhaps not as quickly or definitively.  I'm still at it, more so than ever even.

Hard copy only.  PM me for details.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: Faust on October 16, 2013, 10:31:15 AM
Cool Bobby,

Same offer I made roger stands for yourself or anyone else who wants. If you want to advertise on the front page just give me a shout.

That's awesome, thank you very much!  I'll absolutely be in touch.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on October 16, 2013, 01:19:17 PM

Hard copy only.  PM me for details.

Will do!

Bobby Campbell

Holy shit, The Manhattan Projects fucking rules! So much so that it's interfering w/ my life.  I'm reading it when I shd be sleeping or working...

Hickman has range! His FF stuff was pure gee whiz fun, uplifting, and wholesome.  This is quite different! Though complimentary.

The art is what puts it over the top for me.  Pitaara is like the perfect mix between Frank Quitely & John McCrea, but also something all its own.  I need to loosen up my cartooning... relax/unleash/enjoy...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on October 17, 2013, 05:04:35 PM
Holy shit, The Manhattan Projects fucking rules! So much so that it's interfering w/ my life.  I'm reading it when I shd be sleeping or working...

Hickman has range! His FF stuff was pure gee whiz fun, uplifting, and wholesome.  This is quite different! Though complimentary.

The art is what puts it over the top for me.  Pitaara is like the perfect mix between Frank Quitely & John McCrea, but also something all its own.  I need to loosen up my cartooning... relax/unleash/enjoy...

If a writer can make superhero shit interesting, then their other work is probably gonna rock.

Just saying.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chelagoras The Boulder

i recently went back and reread House of Mystery. I'd forgotten how well-written it was, and even the big twist towards the end(fake spoiler alert: the butler did it, Vader is Luke's father, there's a lot you can learn from a good piece of ham) still felt clever and appropriate, havign read it through already. It's the same kinda thing i felt reading novels as a kid, where you can reread the story and find new things you like about it

Vertigo was the first publisher to make me wanna read a series all the way through and i find stuff like HoM and Sandman and Lucifer excels at delivering deep, personally engaging stories without having to compromise fun for story or vice versa.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Faust

House of Mystery was the first Vertigo Comic I started collecting. It was awesome though tapered off a little over the last few issues. Apart from it's overarching story I loved each issues once off short with its different artists.

It got me reading Madame Xanadu, which was also great but axed to make way for the risible justice league dark.

Chelagoras The Boulder

God, i was so pissed when they ended Hellblazer to bring Contantine into JLD. The first several issues were just him being a coward and refusing to play nice with people. I don't think that DC has the subtlety to do what made Hellblazer great in the first place, which is small personal horror. Constantine was never meant to pyew-pyew it up with alien gods in capes, his is the story of a fucked-up hard-drinking cockney monster, not a kinda shady conman who just happens to also does magic.

Also, Books of Magic without Neil Gaiman was shit.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Drop a gigantic ton of cash on Miller's Sin City?

PD, I ask your opinion.

LMNO

Storylines can often get a bit repetitive.  Also, the themes align closely to the artistic style: Mostly black and white, with the occasional splash of color.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 22, 2013, 07:22:20 PM
Storylines can often get a bit repetitive.  Also, the themes align closely to the artistic style: Mostly black and white, with the occasional splash of color.

I'm okay with B&W.  But if it's Miller getting lazy, I'm not buying a million fucking volumes.

Faust

definitely buy tge first rwo before rushing out to get the lot. I enjoyed them but never felt inspired to read more.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on October 22, 2013, 07:28:36 PM
definitely buy tge first rwo before rushing out to get the lot. I enjoyed them but never felt inspired to read more.

Okay, will do.  That's within my "experimentation" budget, and is definitely better than what was recommended to me by Frank the Bastard.

For which I shall extract a hideous revenge that will be the stuff of LEGEND.

Faust

It's a safe bet, they are all disconnected, overlapping stories so it will give you a flavour and if you enjoy it good, if you leave it than at least you wont feel like your missing out on the stories.

I feel I tarnished my own impression of it before I read it; The Robert Rodriguez film was one of my favourite when it came out, and it's one of those rare cases that I preferred the movie to the book.

One of the comics I didn't read for the Gender Though Comics books course was Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

I'm at issue six now and it's interesting, I like how much she reminds me of the drill sergeant from full metal jacket and I like how the comic is so far centred around six strong women.

I'm not sure what to make of the time travel aspect of this first arc; It centres around a group of strong female pilots down behind enemy lines.

On the one hand it portrays the Womans Airforce Service Pilots (wasps) as incredibly badass an passionate about duty and service in a war period... But they are saved by a fictional superwoman from the future. Garth Ennis once called the idolised manchilds vision of Captain America's false role in WWII the most insulting thing that could be done to the veterans who served, but I think in this instance it's handled differently enough because even Captain Marvel is in awe of these pilots.

The arc even ends on her competing against one such pilot for both her powers and her right to exist through a simple race back to the falling plane that acts as the link to the past.