News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

The reporter side of him gets largely ignored. There have been one or two good stories that use it as their overarching narration but it was a biographical piece as opposed to hard hitting journalism.

Though it's not quite an assange parallel they also did a under police watch because of death threats from the mob. But it was just a comedic style story with him distracting them flying off and saving people and then flying back before anyone notices.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Chelagoras The Boulder

I mean it seems like he could do more damage to lexcorp reporting on things he sees as superman. he regularly busts up his lairs, he can just write about stuff he sees, and then cite himself as a source since everyone in the world thinks clark kent and superman are two different people anyway. Hell, if he just kept a smartphone in those spandex undies and took a moment to take pics of the stuff Lex Luthor gets up to, Lexcorp would be a memory. See also, Wayne Enterprises and Batman Inc. having far more potential for dogooding than batman alone.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

I took off my safety glasses at work today, but everyone still recognized me.

I feel ripped off.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Faust on December 09, 2013, 03:04:23 PM
The reporter side of him gets largely ignored. There have been one or two good stories that use it as their overarching narration but it was a biographical piece as opposed to hard hitting journalism.

Though it's not quite an assange parallel they also did a under police watch because of death threats from the mob. But it was just a comedic style story with him distracting them flying off and saving people and then flying back before anyone notices.

Another idea I was playing with was some kind of actual ethical dilemma that superpowers are irrelevant to. Finding info that Evilcorp is spying on you in horribly invasive ways but also uses that info to ensure hospitals are staffed appropriately for various emergencies that superman causes, Donates to widows and kids of goons etc. Exposing it does good but highlights harm done by superman so what does Kent do?

This has probably been done, I can't say I'm that familiar with what's been done with superman. Probably everything by now.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Chelagoras The Boulder

I've also thought about the possibility of what of that bs time reversal power Christopher Reeves Superman had. What if the Superman we see as impossibly moral and righteous was just the side superman let us see? Like what if most the time, superman was an impulsive misanthropic jerk who's first impulse was to smack the shit out of everybody, and then he just reverses time so he never has to face consequences for it Like this:
Clark Kent's Boss: Kent! what is this shit? i wouldn't wipe my ass with this article you handed in!
*Clark bitchslaps his boss so hard his head twists right off*
*Superman flies off, reverses time*
Clark Kent's Boss: Kent! what is this shit? i wouldn't wipe my ass with this article you handed in!
Clark Kent: Oh, i'm sorry sir! i'll have a rewrite on your desk by the end of day!
CKB: You'd better, Kent! or it's your ass!
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 09, 2013, 11:59:27 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 09, 2013, 03:04:23 PM

Another idea I was playing with was some kind of actual ethical dilemma that superpowers are irrelevant to. Finding info that Evilcorp is spying on you in horribly invasive ways but also uses that info to ensure hospitals are staffed appropriately for various emergencies that superman causes, Donates to widows and kids of goons etc. Exposing it does good but highlights harm done by superman so what does Kent do?

This has probably been done, I can't say I'm that familiar with what's been done with superman. Probably everything by now.

I don't think it's been done. The closest I can recall is Lex Luthor running for and successfully becoming president and getting away with all manor of nasty shit because it went through official channels.

Superman could be the ultimate whistle-blower but because unlike fighting endless variations of space monsters, the stories wouldn't sell.

If you like the idea of a superman who completely failed and despite his superpowers was basically impotent as a hero you should read Irredeemable.

Junkenstein

I went through Irredeemable/incorruptible a while ago, and for the life of me I can't recall how it ends.

I'll give it another read.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 10, 2013, 09:55:48 AM
I went through Irredeemable/incorruptible a while ago, and for the life of me I can't recall how it ends.

I'll give it another read.

Incorruptable doesn't end well. To be honest both titles taper in quality towards the very end. But I liked the final conclusion of Irredeemable.

Junkenstein

Well it's got my interest enough to revisit it.

On another topic, been reading Red Team by Ennis. Exactly what you expect from a cop kill squad and Ennis.

Faust

Is it Good? I'll wait for it to reach issue 12 before reading it.

He seems to be getting weirder or just less restrained with his newer stuff. I've mentioned I loved the boys but couldn't stomach crossed.

I'm actually working my way through his 90's Hitman run, Section 8 are an amazing superhero team. I love his even more blatantly racist portrayal of the French in it with Jean de Baton-Baton and the mexican rapist Bueno Excelenté. They aren't exceptionally powerful but they have spirit: When they realise they can't beat Lobo (because he actually has superpowers) they have him date raped and blackmail him with photographs into leaving earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_%28comics%29

Junkenstein

6 issue run, currently on 5. I'd say give it a read. Much less extreme than crossed (Though I can also recommend the webcomic, that's been a surprisingly good thing, with much less focus on the crossed and more time spent with survivors dealing with day to day bullshit) I'd try the first issue and you'll know whether you're reading the next 5. 

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 10, 2013, 12:21:00 PM
6 issue run, currently on 5. I'd say give it a read. Much less extreme than crossed (Though I can also recommend the webcomic, that's been a surprisingly good thing, with much less focus on the crossed and more time spent with survivors dealing with day to day bullshit) I'd try the first issue and you'll know whether you're reading the next 5.

Awesome. I'll pick up the trade, I think Dynamite publishing are quick enough about that after a series ends.

LMNO

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 09, 2013, 11:52:00 PM
I mean it seems like he could do more damage to lexcorp reporting on things he sees as superman. he regularly busts up his lairs, he can just write about stuff he sees, and then cite himself as a source since everyone in the world thinks clark kent and superman are two different people anyway. Hell, if he just kept a smartphone in those spandex undies and took a moment to take pics of the stuff Lex Luthor gets up to, Lexcorp would be a memory. See also, Wayne Enterprises and Batman Inc. having far more potential for dogooding than batman alone.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."