News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raz Tech

So I picked up the new lady Thor comic.  Still too early to tell if it'll be any good, but it doesn't seem bad so far.  The only thing I don't understand is that Marvel insisted that this was not something that should be called Lady Thor, because she is, in fact, Thor.  Because she has the hammer and all that.  At the same time, though, actual dude Thor,  son of Odin and stuff, is still very much around, generally getting his shit ruined because he doesn't have a hammer.  So this lady Thor who should be referred to as actual Thor even though actual Thor is still a thing confuses me, at least until they give her a name.

hooplala

Quote from: Raz Tech on October 13, 2014, 07:41:37 PM
So I picked up the new lady Thor comic.  Still too early to tell if it'll be any good, but it doesn't seem bad so far.  The only thing I don't understand is that Marvel insisted that this was not something that should be called Lady Thor, because she is, in fact, Thor.  Because she has the hammer and all that.  At the same time, though, actual dude Thor,  son of Odin and stuff, is still very much around, generally getting his shit ruined because he doesn't have a hammer.  So this lady Thor who should be referred to as actual Thor even though actual Thor is still a thing confuses me, at least until they give her a name.

It's gods, man.  Who can figure gods?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO


BadBeast

If you turned up to a fight where everyone wath armed with gunth, and all you had wath a fuckin' Hammer, you'd be Thor too.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel


Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BadBeast on October 17, 2014, 11:01:04 PM
If you turned up to a fight where everyone wath armed with gunth, and all you had wath a fuckin' Hammer, you'd be Thor too.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

hooplala

So people are all worked up over Benedict Cumberbatch possibly playing Dr Strange...  :?

Seems reasonable enough to me.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on October 28, 2014, 07:13:56 PM
So people are all worked up over Benedict Cumberbatch possibly playing Dr Strange...  :?

Seems reasonable enough to me.

Maybe. He is a really talented actor and can do a diverse range. Buuuut.... What I am afraid of is the fat cats saw Sherlock and just want him to do that for doctor strange. I love his personality and mannerisms for Sherlock but I wouldn't like that for Strange.
I guess it depends on who's directing and what they encourage him to bring to the role.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

People get worked up about Benedict Cumberbatch full stop.  He's either the best thing since sliced bread or worse than Hitler and Stalin's secret love child (his true identity).

Mostly this is because of the Internet Outrage Machine that is Twitter and tumblr, and their delicate sensibilities (read: batshit insane priorities, and insistence that the personal is always political), and the internet outlets that create clickbait to capture this audience.

LMNO

I don't think I've ever made it through an episode of Sherlock before falling asleep.

Cain

#324
It's a pretty ridiculous show.  The main cast are good....very good, considering the preposterous rubbish that comes out of their mouths and the necessity of keeping a straight face while saying them.

It's rather like the Harry Potter films in that respect - great actors stuck in uninspiring and ridiculous roles.  But it panders to its obsessive, 20 something, internet social media plugged in fanbase, and so it flourishes, despite treating its viewers with no small contempt with regard to plots, explanations and common sense.

Edit: the first season was actually mostly pretty decent.  The second was more of a mixed bag, and the third was just outright insulting.

Eater of Clowns

Yeah, that was my impression of it. Admittedly I fell for Moffat's trick of characters speaking in rapid technobabble on both Sherlock and Dr. Who for a while before I realized that no believable explanation was being conveyed and the characters were barely actually having a conversation. It's like if you took Sorkin's dialogue and removed any depth or wit from it at all.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Quote
the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2014, 11:42:32 AM
It's a pretty ridiculous show.  The main cast are good....very good, considering the preposterous rubbish that comes out of their mouths and the necessity of keeping a straight face while saying them.

It's rather like the Harry Potter films in that respect - great actors stuck in uninspiring and ridiculous roles.  But it panders to its obsessive, 20 something, internet social media plugged in fanbase, and so it flourishes, despite treating its viewers with no small contempt with regard to plots, explanations and common sense.

Edit: the first season was actually mostly pretty decent.  The second was more of a mixed bag, and the third was just outright insulting.
In short more of a Dr who spinoff then Torchwood.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Chelagoras The Boulder

saw The Constantine pilot yesterday and I am cautiously optimistic. Sure they changed Chas and i keep looking for a cigarette in John's mouth, but the actor seems to have the attitude mostly right: angry, snarky, and just this side of broken. it's about as good as i expected from a major network treatment of the source material and it looks like they're going to set up some cool storylines from the comics (fuck yea Zed!) so for the time being I willing to give it my three episode test: it gets three episodes to not fail, and if it passes that, its all gravy.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Bobby Campbell



Holy shit! Pax Americana is incredible. Frank Quitely doing a mix of Steve Ditko/Dave Gibbons panel grids along w/ JH Williams style layouts, and Morrison doing a condensed recursive story structure. Whew!

You'll probably have to have read Watchmen to get most of the references.

For meta-context: Pax Americana features characters from Charlton Comics, a company DC bought in the 80's, and were originally the characters Alan Moore was going to use for Watchmen, but DC didn't want him to ruin them, so they had him make up new versions of those characters. So Morrison does a Watchmen pastiche using the original versions of the characters.

Though of course I'd like a book by my fav writer & fav artist, but still! Highest possible recommendation.

Ben Shapiro