Poll

How do you feel about the announced D&D 5th Edition (SURPRISE!)?

WHAT? I NEED IT NOW!
2 (12.5%)
Ummm... don't I already have 4E, Pathfinder, and nonD&D games to play?
7 (43.8%)
Meh.
0 (0%)
Double Meh.
4 (25%)
Fnord.
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Official D&D 5E Announcement  (Read 23761 times)

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
Re: Official D&D 5E Announcement
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 04:01:22 pm »
for what it's worth, the D&D Next rules kick ass

still need some stuff ironed out, but I love the direction they went.

Can't be worse than 4th ed <--- personal preference, of course.

Still, I am a grognard, and I shall stick with Pathfinder.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

• Slimy Thing Who
  • Deserved It
  • QUEEN BITCH OF FLYERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2013, 04:29:38 pm »
4e convinced me to give GURPS a chance.
Overheating Pheremone Pustule of Last Saturday's Jiggle Fun| _xgeWireToEvent: Unknown extension 131, this should never happen.

Don't fucking judge me, I've got tentacles for a face.

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »
you guys tempt me to write out my opinions of 4th ed... but then I realize we already did that earlier ITT, and it's generally a waste of time trying to convince people on the net that your favorite RPG isn't trash.

I tried GURPS for the first time this summer... LOVED the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RPG. Aside from that, didn't like the system much. Probably wouldn't play it again unless we revisit TNMT. I didn't realize tabletop combat could actually move slower than 4th edition.  :p

Anybody actually tried the D&D Next rules? Would be curious to hear people's reactions. We played with it a bunch a few months ago at a variety of levels and everybody in my group seemed pretty satisfied. I will be happy if they can hold back from repeating their 3rd edition mistakes.

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 05:52:33 pm »
you guys tempt me to write out my opinions of 4th ed... but then I realize we already did that earlier ITT, and it's generally a waste of time trying to convince people on the net that your favorite RPG isn't trash.

I have - since that time - rethought my position.  I don't think it's trash, I just don't like it personally.

I tried GURPS for the first time this summer... LOVED the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RPG. Aside from that, didn't like the system much. Probably wouldn't play it again unless we revisit TNMT. I didn't realize tabletop combat could actually move slower than 4th edition.  :p

GURPS is best done without figs, etc.  And it is a lot of clunk.

Anybody actually tried the D&D Next rules? Would be curious to hear people's reactions. We played with it a bunch a few months ago at a variety of levels and everybody in my group seemed pretty satisfied. I will be happy if they can hold back from repeating their 3rd edition mistakes.

I'm not going to for 3 reasons:

1.  I have too much invested in Pathfinder (if they ever are so foolish as to launch a 2nd ed, I already have enough gaming material to last me about 300 years, and I'll just stop buying new stuff).

2.  Pathfinder does everything I need it to do.  The game system is actually irrelevant to the quality of a campaign, if you think about it.  I just want a system that I am comfortable with, so I can concentrate on the campaign, rather than worrying about learning a new ruleset.

3.  My players would hang me higher than Haman.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

• Can't breathe anymore.
  • Deserved It
  • wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 08:12:20 pm »
for what it's worth, the D&D Next rules kick ass

still need some stuff ironed out, but I love the direction they went.

HWiGS really wanted in on that, but they were giving him the run-around and all kinds of bullshit, then his car went up and the stuff he needed was inside, and he couldn't be part of it anymore.  He probably won't be selling much of it when it really hits the street next year, because two of his competitors have already got beta groups and people know to go there instead. 
If someone does the ďFine, youíre right, Iím clearly a terrible person, Iím Satan, Iím the worst person alive, I should just dieĒ thing in response to criticism of their harmful behavior, they are trying to manipulate people and flip the situation around so that they look like a victim.

As a neuroscientist I have to disagree with the perception that anyone is doing mathematical modeling of cognitive intelligence, yet; intelligence as an economist defines it, yes, but economists are worlds away from actual cognition.

Although it is outside the purview of this organization to offer personal advice, we can say -- without assuming any liability -- that previous experience indicates (and recent market studies corroborate) that given the present condition of the marketplace, continuing with your present course of action is likely to result in substantial in

Don Coyote

• Token Welshman
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 09:40:41 pm »

I'm not opposed to 5e, but I will not be giving WotC my money for a game product that as as I have seen does nothing new or interesting enough to warrant supporting WotC and Hasbro. I'm much more inclined to give them my money in exchange for reprints of modules and supplements for older editions. But more importantly I'd rather my gaming dollars go to support smaller companies that are producing much more interesting things, or at least things I find much more interesting.

PopeTom

• Discordian Pirate
  • Deserved It
  • Doing it for the hawt wyminz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »
And D&D 5th Edition is a go.

First product available mid-July.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/starterset
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 Ī 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

The Good Reverend Roger

• Horrible Bastard
  • One-Armed Jizz Moppers
  • Deserved It
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2014, 07:17:57 pm »
And D&D 5th Edition is a go.

First product available mid-July.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/starterset

6th edition betas in mid-August.   :lulz:

Cramulus

• Deserved It
    • View Profile
    • Cramul.us
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2014, 08:40:33 pm »
I'm psyched. Been loving 4e, but it's getting a bit threadbare. And I can't go back to 3.5/pathfinder.