News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

9 Ridiculous Cooking Myths You Probably Believe (Cracked)

Started by AFK, January 10, 2012, 09:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I'm sure I've heard some reason (around here) for searing meat, and it had nothing to do with moisture and everything to do with a reaction that changes the flavor and texture of the meat's outside.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 10, 2012, 10:01:06 PM
I'm sure I've heard some reason (around here) for searing meat, and it had nothing to do with moisture and everything to do with a reaction that changes the flavor and texture of the meat's outside.

That's absolutely right. Cracked missed that bit and jumped right to not searing at all, which is also bad advice, for exactly the flavour and texture reasons you name.

A lot of instructions, however, state to do the searing right at the start to "seal in the moisture". And that's a myth. You can also slowly heat the steak to the right temperature of done-ness, and then sear it (very hot and short) or even use a blowtorch to create a nice brown outer "crust". This is what's done with sous-vide cooking, for instance. But you could also heat the steak in a low-temperature oven.

An important aspect of keeping the moisture, is to let the steak "rest" for a few minutes after it's done. When it is hot, the muscle fibres change and sort of "wring out" the moisture, and if you cut it then you get the "bleeding" steak effect. When it cools down a bit the fibres re-absorb (some of) this moisture, so it stays better put when cutting. I'm assuming they often recommend covering the steak with aluminium-foil during this period not only to keep it hot, but also because the re-absorbing process probably takes some time.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

A steak should be left to rest for AT LEAST 10 minutes. A large roast should be left to rest for 30 minutes to an hour depending on how big it is.

And the name of the reaction in question is the Maillard Reaction. And anyone who eats a fucking steak that isn't fucking seared on the outside should fucking just go eat at McDonalds for the rest of their fucking life.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

And anyone who thinks that sous vide is an acceptable method of cooking meat should probably never tell me that in person. It's the 2nd quickest way to get me to start a fistfight for no good reason.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

DECI4

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 10, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
. I'm assuming they often recommend covering the steak with aluminium-foil during this period not only to keep it hot, but also because the re-absorbing process probably takes some time.

They are wrong about covering the steak while resting because of carry over cooking.
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
My-my-my-my music hits me so hard makes me say oh my Lord
Thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme and two hyped feet
It feels good when you know you're down
A superdope homeboy from the Oaktown
And I'm known as such
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

I told you homeboy u can't touch this
Yeah that's how we're livin' and you know u can't touch this
Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
You got it like that now you know you wanna dance
So move out of your seat
And get a fly girl and catch this beat
While it's rollin' hold on pump a little bit
And let me know it's going on like that like that
Cold on a mission so pull on back
Let 'em know that you're too much

Yo I told you u can't touch this
Why you standing there man u can't touch this

http://i.imgur.com/EiZZK.jpg

DECI4

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 12:32:40 AM
And anyone who thinks that sous vide is an acceptable method of cooking meat should probably never tell me that in person. It's the 2nd quickest way to get me to start a fistfight for no good reason.

Then you are both ignorant and a fool. Do some reading and some eating and you can cure the former.
And I'm known as such

You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
So move out of your seat

Kai

I told my father about sous vide recently. He's a long time food microbiologist and quality manager for one of the largest food manufacturing companies in the country. He said that it sounded incredibly risky, and that he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: DECI4 on January 11, 2012, 01:43:38 AM

Then you are both ignorant and a fool. Do some reading and some eating and you can cure the former.

I'm sorry, which restaurants have YOU been the head chef at? Chez HotPocket, of course, doesn't count.

Oh, and any grillardin worth his tongs would know to remove the steak from the grill/pan/oven/broiler an entire degree of doneness before the target temp in order to account for the continued internal cooking that happens while the meat rests. Which, of course, happens whether you cover the meat or not.

But please do keep arguing with me about a subject that I have basically (and quite successfully) devoted my entire adult life to in a professional capacity. :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Squid Diddimus

DECI4

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 02:52:40 AM

I'm sorry, which restaurants have YOU been the head chef at? Chez HotPocket, of course, doesn't count.

Oh, and any grillardin worth his tongs would know to remove the steak from the grill/pan/oven/broiler an entire degree of doneness before the target temp in order to account for the continued internal cooking that happens while the meat rests. Which, of course, happens whether you cover the meat or not.

But please do keep arguing with me about a subject that I have basically (and quite successfully) devoted my entire adult life to in a professional capacity. :lulz:

Please. No professional cook would cover resting meat with foil. If you can't see how that would affect carry over cooking than you are a moron. Looks like you spent your entire adult life not being a very technical or proficient cook. Let me guess, middle aged steak house chef?
And I'm known as such

So move out of your seat

DECI4

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 11, 2012, 02:36:49 AM

I told my father about sous vide recently. He's a long time food microbiologist and quality manager for one of the largest food manufacturing companies in the country. He said that it sounded incredibly risky, and that he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Then he wouldn't eat at many of the finest restaurants in the world. If any of you are really interested in the subject I suggest reading Thomas Kellers "Under Pressure".
And I'm known as such

So move out of your seat

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: DECI4 on January 11, 2012, 06:05:04 AM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 02:52:40 AM

Please. No professional cook would cover resting meat with foil. If you can't see how that would affect carry over cooking than you are a moron. Looks like you spent your entire adult life not being a very technical or proficient cook. Let me guess, middle aged steak house chef?

I never said they would. I merely pointed out that the continued internal temperature rise will occur regardless of that.

Of course, almost every professional cook in the world will put his finished dish under a heat lamp with a reflective metal hood. But that's different, right? :lulz:

And do you really want me to list my professional qualifications/resume? I think it's an incredibly pretentious appeal to authority but if you're one of those idiots who thinks that authority stems from position then I'll be happy to oblige.