News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

NH anti-evolution bill even more bizarre then I thought

Started by Thurnez Isa, January 12, 2012, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

I was digging around reading about it, and most of it was standard it's-just-a-theory-damn-it and the-columbine-shooters-believed-in-evolution. You know standard stuff. And I came across this weirdness

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-zimmerman/creationism-in-new-hampshire_b_1177163.html

QuoteAs ridiculous as all of this is, it doesn't compare to the looniness that defines the second anti-evolution bill. This one, introduced by Republican Jerry Bergevin, also demands that evolution be taught as a theory (as if there's any other way to teach it), but it goes much further. It would require that public school science classes be dramatically expanded to explicitly include politics and religion. Bizarrely, Bergevin demands that students be taught about the personal opinions, opinions unrelated to science, of the scientists, from Darwin to the present, who are responsible for the theory of evolution. Just so you know I'm not making this stuff up, here's what the bill requires students learn: "the theorists' political and ideological viewpoints and their position on the concept of atheism"

Isn't this the same kind of "Your opinions on science determines your ideological and religious opinions" arguments that some of the more crazy atheists use? Wonder who picked it up from who.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Nephew Twiddleton

New Hampshire's an odd state. I can't really make sense of the people that live there.

At any rate, that's ridiculous. It's a freakin science class. I don't know what's so hard to accept about evolution, even the Catholic Church accepts it as fact.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Fuck it.

500 hundred years of rationalism hasn't made the species smarter.  Let 'em wallow in their beliefs. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2012, 05:34:04 PM
Fuck it.

500 hundred years of rationalism hasn't made the species smarter.  Let 'em wallow in their beliefs.

When someone decides to be an ignorant dumbfuck, more power to 'em.  I do, however, object to spoonfeeding stupid to a captive audience of kids.  Bad enough they've stopped teaching them to think, but clogging their brains like this is nasty.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 12, 2012, 05:30:55 PM
New Hampshire's an odd state. I can't really make sense of the people that live there.

At any rate, that's ridiculous. It's a freakin science class. I don't know what's so hard to accept about evolution, even the Catholic Church accepts it as fact.

I think for people like bergevin science and religion are so intermixed he can't even imagine a world were science isn't directly related to atheism and opposed to his one world view. I don't think he sees evolution as something that even falls in the realms of facts, let alone a scientific theory. Cause if he accepts science as way of investigation then there can't be just one world view that encompasses all aspects of life. Which excludes his world view.

or is just trying to keep the monkeys stupid as to maintain social control.
That works too.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 12, 2012, 06:36:07 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2012, 05:34:04 PM
Fuck it.

When someone decides to be an ignorant dumbfuck, more power to 'em.  I do, however, object to spoonfeeding stupid to a captive audience of kids.  Bad enough they've stopped teaching them to think, but clogging their brains like this is nasty.

Welcome to the 21st century.  Please keep your arms and legs inside the car for the entire duration of the ride.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cramulus

That's from New Hampshire? weird. My impression of them is that they're fiscal conservatives, not social conservatives. New Hampshire is the second least religious state in the union. The average NH republican is more pro-choice than the national average. So I doubt it'll pass.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 13, 2012, 02:15:28 PM
That's from New Hampshire? weird. My impression of them is that they're fiscal conservatives, not social conservatives. New Hampshire is the second least religious state in the union. The average NH republican is more pro-choice than the national average. So I doubt it'll pass.

Every state has its yahoo congressmen.

In Arizona, they run everything.   :horrormirth:

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cramulus on January 13, 2012, 02:15:28 PM
I love NH, but they've got some special crazy there. You have to remember that a lot of the population in the southern part of the state is folks who really want to be in Boston but don't want to do things like pay taxes or way too much for a tiny apartment. The further north you go, the more redneck-y it gets, but the population density also goes down to next to nothing.