News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Scalloped Turnips

Started by PeregrineBF, January 13, 2012, 05:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeregrineBF

Just made this, from http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/scalloped_turnips/
Scalloped Turnips Recipe
Ingredients
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
4 cups peeled, sliced turnips
2 Tbsp flour
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
Method

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 1-quart casserole. Melt 1 Tbsp butter and lightly sauté onions until just wilted.

2 Layer a third of the sliced turnips in the casserole dish; top with a third of the onion; sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of flour, 1/3 teaspoon of salt, and one grind of pepper; pat with dollops from 1 tablespoon of butter. Repeat this layering twice.

3 Mix milk and cream together and pour over the turnips. Cover and bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes, then remove cover and bake for another 30-45 minutes, or until tender and bubbly.

Yield: Serves 4.

Definitely a good recipe.

The Good Reverend Roger

Turnips are not people food.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

AMEN!  Turnips are just dirt sausage. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

The rest of the recipe looks good.

I (well, Freeky) ought to try it with potato.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

That's a fucked-up recipe. Why wouldn't you just make a bechamel and pour it in the dish with the turnips and onions?

I mean, unless you like your sauce to be lumpy and flour-ey.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I thought something was off, there. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've always made scalloped potatoes by sprinkling flour between the layers. Every recipe I've seen calls for it to be done that way. I don't know why, but it always turns out fantastic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Huh.

TBH I've never even tried making it that way. Always just used a bechamel and par-boiled/cooled/sliced potatos. Of course, my method is much easier in a restaurant context because it takes less time and involves stuff that's usually already been prepped. I'll have to try it the "normal" way. If I were to indulge in baseless speculation, I'd think that possibly that way works out OK because of something to do with the starches that are also present in the potatos/turnips? I dunno.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 13, 2012, 04:55:12 PM
Huh.

TBH I've never even tried making it that way. Always just used a bechamel and par-boiled/cooled/sliced potatos. Of course, my method is much easier in a restaurant context because it takes less time and involves stuff that's usually already been prepped. I'll have to try it the "normal" way. If I were to indulge in baseless speculation, I'd think that possibly that way works out OK because of something to do with the starches that are also present in the potatos/turnips? I dunno.

I think this is part of it, the other is the veggies are raw.  I have a few different recipes for scalloped vegetables, in all of them, if the veggies are not pre-cooked then you sprinkle flour, if they are pre-cooked the sauce is made aside and poured over....

Sir Squid Diddimus

Turnips and milk doesn't sound good to me.

Down south we eat em with butter s&p. That's usually it.
Unless you roast them, in which case olive oil is fine.

I love turnips.