News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

[NOMENCLATURE]: Crust Kids or "Crust wave."

Started by navkat, January 16, 2012, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

ARE YOU SAYING I CALLED ROG A RACIST? BECAUSE I THINK IT'S MIRACULOUS THAT YOU CAN READ MY MIND NOW. MAYBE YOU'RE MY TWIN FLAME AND WE SHOULD GET MARRIED AND MAKE ASSHAT BABIES NOW.

East Coast Hustle

No, I'm just saying that you had to stretch really far to find a way to make any of this relate to racism.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

the fact that it is a ridiculous stretch is what made it appear readily to me as a joke from the outset...
actually, i guess before she explained it, it just seemed like a nonsequitur joke.

LMNO

In my twenties, I dropped out of college, moved to Maryland, joined a few bands, worked the occasional dishwashing job, slept on counches and in vans, did a lot of drugs, and basically didn't make any meaningful contributions to society. However, I was always fully aware that I was still a priviledged white kid at heart, and was just slumming for a while.  Eventually, I went back to school, and look at me now.

Still, those couple of years were a hell of a lot of fun.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 17, 2012, 04:46:44 PM
In my twenties, I dropped out of college, moved to Maryland, joined a few bands, worked the occasional dishwashing job, slept on counches and in vans, did a lot of drugs, and basically didn't make any meaningful contributions to society. However, I was always fully aware that I was still a priviledged white kid at heart, and was just slumming for a while.  Eventually, I went back to school, and look at me now.

Still, those couple of years were a hell of a lot of fun.

I went from a fairly posh White privilege childhood to a private in the infantry.  That was a shock.  It was also a hell of a lot of fun (with the odd bit of horror and/or terror).  My son is doing something similar right now.  Sometimes you have to take a break and live for a while, before rejoining the program.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I think the thing with this for me is that there are so many people out there who are truly homeless, without food, without clothing, with no way to bathe and they have nowhere to turn to.

These kids have homes to go to, they aren't truly doing anything except saying "Fuck you" to their parents.  They aren't trying to find themselves or make a political statement.  They're just being brats.  It's one thing to take whatever version of the "grand tour" works for you and another to just not give two shits.

I did the same as LMNO after my first year and a half of college.  I dropped out, tried a lot of different things, worked in a lot of insane places and dated a load of innappropriate men.  Funny thing is, I always preferred eating, indoor plumbing and being clean to perpetuating the "fuck you" to my parents.  So I didn't last very long and went back to work and back to school after realizing mom and dad had not lied, money did not grow on trees..... :lulz:

navkat

I ran away because they were abusing the crap out of me. After the beatings stopped, the mind fuckery continued. My folks actually made my sister drop out of school at age 16 because my mom had my baby brother and couldn't be bothered with child care.

It's almost worse for kids now in spite of raised abuse awareness. These days, running away to stay on someone else's sofa is a big taboo for the adults. If you're a grown single person letting someone else's kid sleep on your sofa, you're questioned as a possible creep over kindness. If you're a parent, stepping in to help say, your son's girlfriend, you generally back down after the threats are made because you have your own kid to worry about.

The foster system is a disaster, it's no longer possible for a kid to emancipate and support himself so what's shitty is that mixed into these groups of "bums-by-choice" are probably some kids that didn't choose this and never really had a shot. They'll find themselves alone when their crusty pals eventually get bored of grandstanding about lack of healthcare that's never been a real problem until they turned 21, no support for artists/musicians and oppressive police presence that wouldn't really apply to their white asses if they would just stop picking fights outside of Sidney's and make their flea-bitten dogs stop shitting on the sidewalk.

Notice the conspicuous low ratio of multicultural crusties, BTW? These are not the desperate and optionless.

You have some in any city that claims for itself a "bohemian" element. These kids would be flat-out made to be uncomfortable in a city like Mobile so they do not exist here. We have plenty of issues with real poor people getting shit from the police.

Cramulus

WHAT IS THE DEAL with this website? http://www.hipsterrunoff.com

I've been scanning it, trying to make sense of it - is it sarcastic or not? And it's so jammed with hip buzzwords, parts of it are opaque to me. It's very mysterious.

kingyak

Socioeconomic tourism's not really a new thing, there are just new and stupider ways of going about it. I had pretty much the same reaction to On The Road that most people seem to be having to the link in the OP.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: kingyak on January 17, 2012, 09:31:44 PM
Socioeconomic tourism's not really a new thing, there are just new and stupider ways of going about it. I had pretty much the same reaction to On The Road that most people seem to be having to the link in the OP.

I'm presuming the book because I don't think the movie is out yet...  But yeah, I can see where you are coming from.

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, Kerouac always struck me as a slumming douchewart.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

navkat

Hipster Runoff has been a subject of amusement and ire for me for a few years now. It's ironic trolling that's ironic in that at some point, it starts to become that which it mocks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 07:41:42 PM
Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 07:40:09 PM
Crust Kids are usually upper-middle-class wankers who have homes to go to, people who love them, college funds they don't want to use and have opted to live like drug addicts and filthy bums.

Jesus.

Well, I suppose it takes all kinds to fill the monkey house...But this is the best slap in the face the world's poor have seen on a cultural level, since the invention of the Turduken.

I have nothing to add to this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 08:21:42 PM
It's kool. I realize I have a somewhat odd way of connecting these things and not everyone sees what's in my head when I'm taking for granted that they do.

FTR my friends and I have a longstanding running joke of saying "WHY ARE YOU RACIST AGAINST...?" when it's a topic that has nothing to do with race.

-Nigel (racist against Canadians)

(Also, couldn't help noticing that there is not one single nonwhite person in all of those "crusty" pics, probably because people who actually understand the lack of privilege want nothing to do with such a dumbass privilege-based pretending-to-be-poor hipster scene lol)

PS thanks for sharing that bit of hilarity/annoyance
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The comments section is a lulzmine of stupidity.