News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

[Feel free to ignore] unlimited navkat rave/music thread

Started by navkat, January 16, 2012, 08:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

navkat

Peace: Keep the peace. Encourage peace. Make peace. Do things that encourage peace daily and in all of your dealings with your fellow ravers.
Love: Give it. Have some in your heart. Do things that make it--like exchanging KandE bracelets and caring for others.
Unity: We are a family. Look out for your fellow worshippers in Dance. Keep your eyes open for those who aren't handling their shit and help them handle their shit. The same way you'd take the keys from a drunk friend, you stay aware of your fellow partyers and make sure no one's overdoing themselves. Bring someone water and insist they sit down if they look like they're losing themselves. Be a self-sufficient society that doesn't need cops called and no one going home in an ambulance.
Respect: Let people be who they are. Encourage acceptance of people's identity and choices--so long as those choices aren't hurting people. Respect those around you who may not identify the way you do--this includes non-ravers who have the right not to have your music, tastes, drugs, etc imposed upon them. Pick up your trash. Don't create filth.

navkat

http://www.livingart.com/raving/articles/article11.htm

QuoteA RAVER'S MANIFESTO

(author unknown)

Our emotional state of choice is Ecstasy. Our nourishment of choice is Love. Our addiction of choice is technology. Our religion of choice is music. Our currency of choice is knowledge. Our politics of choice is none. Our society of choice is utopian though we know it will never be.

You may hate us. You may dismiss us. You may misunderstand us. You may be unaware of our existence. We can only hope you do not care to judge us, because we would never judge you. We are not criminals. We are not disillusioned. We are not drug addicts. We are not naive children. We are one massive, global, tribal village that transcends man-made law, physical geography, and time itself. We are The Massive. One Massive.

We were first drawn by the sound. From far away, the thunderous, muffled, echoing beat was comparable to a mother's heart soothing a child in her womb of concrete, steel, and electrical wiring. We were drawn back into this womb, and there, in the heat, dampness, and darkness of it, we came to accept that we are all the same. We came to accept that we are all equal. Not only to the darkness, and to ourselves, but to the very music slamming into us and passing through our souls: we are all equal. And somewhere around 35Hz we could feel the hand of God at our backs, pushing us forward, pushing us to push ourselves to strengthen our minds, our bodies, and our spirits. Pushing us to turn to the person beside us to join hands and uplift them by sharing the uncontrollable joy we felt from creating this magical bubble that can, for one evening, protect us from the horrors, atrocities, and pollution of the outside world. It is in that very instant, with these very realizations that each of was truly born. We continue to pack our bodies into clubs, or warehouses, or buildings you've abandoned and left for naught, and we bring life to them for one night. Strong, throbbing, vibrant life in it's purest, most intense, most hedonistic form.

In these makeshift spaces, we seek to shed ourselves of the burden of uncertainty for a future you have been unable to stabilize and secure for us. We seek to relinquish our inhibitions, and free ourselves from the shackles and restraints you've put on us for your own peace of mind. We seek to re-write the programming that you have tried to indoctrinate us with since the moment we were born. Programming that tells us to hate, that tells us to judge, that tells us to stuff ourselves into the nearest and most convenient pigeon hole possible. Programming that even tells us to climb ladders for you, jump through hoops, and run through mazes and on hamster wheels. Programming that tells us to eat from the shiny silver spoon you are trying to feed us with, instead of nourish ourselves with our own capable hands. Programming that tells us to close our minds, instead of open them.

Until the sun rises to burn our eyes by revealing the dystopian reality of the world you've created for us, we dance fiercely with our brothers and sisters in celebration of our life, of our culture, and of the values we believe in: Peace, Love, Freedom, Tolerance, Unity, Harmony, Expression, Responsibility and Respect.

Our enemy of choice is ignorance. Our weapon of choice is information. Our crime of choice is breaking and challenging whatever laws you feel you need to put in place to stop us from celebrating our existence. But know that while you may shut down any given party, on any given night, in any given city, in any given country or continent on this beautiful planet, you can never shut down the entire party. You don't have access to that switch, no matter what you may think. The music will never stop. The heartbeat will never fade. The party will never end. I am a raver, and this is my manifesto.

navkat

http://hermetic.com/bey/taz3.html#labelTAZ

The Temporary Autonomous Zone, Ontological Anarchy, Poetic Terrorism
By Hakim Bey
THE TEMPORARY AUTONOMOUS ZONE

Pirate Utopias
THE SEA-ROVERS AND CORSAIRS of the 18th century created an "information network" that spanned the globe: primitive and devoted primarily to grim business, the net nevertheless functioned admirably. Scattered throughout the net were islands, remote hideouts where ships could be watered and provisioned, booty traded for luxuries and necessities. Some of these islands supported "intentional communities," whole mini-societies living consciously outside the law and determined to keep it up, even if only for a short but merry life.

Kai

I still don't see the responsibility. Never did, not even when I was with Kai'enne.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

navkat

navkat

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 16, 2012, 09:25:57 PM
I still don't see the responsibility. Never did, not even when I was with Kai'enne.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I wish you got a chance to see what I see.

There's a lot of shitbirds who are just looking to get fucked up and don't care what they take or how they treat others. There are also those of us who choose to passively keep this park clean for others to discover as well.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 09:14:31 PM
Our enemy of choice is ignorance. Our weapon of choice is information.

While I'm all about letting Ravers dance until their joints disintegrate, and more power to 'em, what exactly are they doing to combat ignorance?  What information are they imparting or sharing?

As far as the whole hiding from the world thing, I'm okay with that, because 99% of the population does that anyway, only they use the television.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 09:29:12 PM
Catharsis through music and dance.
Revolution through unabashed hedonism.

I'm okay with the catharsis thing.

I don't see the revolution, though. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Though I gotta say, I'd rather have kids dancing at a rave than attending a Young Republican conference or joining the teabaggers.

Not that they'd have 'em, of course.  I've never seen a fat raver, and you need some cushion before the wingnuts will have you.

Faust

Calling hedonism revolution is insulting and degrading to hard working hedonists everywhere.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 09:14:31 PM
Our enemy of choice is ignorance. Our weapon of choice is information.

While I'm all about letting Ravers dance until their joints disintegrate, and more power to 'em, what exactly are they doing to combat ignorance?  What information are they imparting or sharing?

As far as the whole hiding from the world thing, I'm okay with that, because 99% of the population does that anyway, only they use the television.

Erowid.com
Bluelight.ru
DanceSafe.org

You have to understand that the roots of this thing started when the internet was new and revolutionary in and of itself. The sharing of information, the spirit of educating others was (and still is) a big deal. "Here's the scientific end of what you need to know about the stuff you're putting into your body" was (and to some degree, remains) a big part of this culture.

The rest of it is passive. Racism isn't tolerated. Homophobia is detestable. Nerds, geeks, books and the exchange of informed ideas are lauded.

None of this is much different than what we do right here, on this forum. We occasionally get dicks and retards who just think walking around with the five-fingered hand tattooed on their ass is "cool as fuck, man." The dance scene gets its share of the same sort of people who get it but don't really "get it." Human garbage disposals who will eat any thing you put in front of them and play with glowsticks all night, go home with some "hot raver chicks" and then proceed to act like assholes in their daily lives: nothing changed, no message learned.

The rave is nothing more than another vehicle. I'm not so naive that I believe I'm somehow superior to anyone else who has found these truths in other ways and I'm smart enough to know that those of us who are capable and hungry for this level of understanding would and will find it with and without a 4/4 beat, 303 and a bunch of sweaty ravers dancing next to us.

But it's a community...and it makes it just a little bit easier to find the others...like this community. It enhances the probability of finding like-minded souls, it validates in both words and non-words an experience and a feeling and a set of concepts otherwise impossible to articulate and when the music is thumping, the vibe is there and the people around you are plugged in, it's nothing short of magic.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 10:00:29 PM
You have to understand that the roots of this thing started when the internet was new and revolutionary in and of itself. The sharing of information, the spirit of educating others was (and still is) a big deal. "Here's the scientific end of what you need to know about the stuff you're putting into your body" was (and to some degree, remains) a big part of this culture.

Doesn't count.

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 10:00:29 PM

The rest of it is passive. Racism isn't tolerated. Homophobia is detestable. Nerds, geeks, books and the exchange of informed ideas are lauded.

Counts.

Slurrealist

PLUR must rule on.
Let's trance dance till we die. Life is a dance, many dances, weaving with each other.
So...shake your body:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnBGmNBDoJo
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."