News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

[Feel free to ignore] unlimited navkat rave/music thread

Started by navkat, January 16, 2012, 08:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I appreciate the rave scene as a place where some people can fit in and feel like they have a home and a family, but there is just no way I can take it seriously as a social movement. I know a lot of Burners who sincerely believe that Burning Man and its associated festivals and culture is some kind of social movement, too, and I just. Yeah. They're all "Our partying is changing the world!" and I'm all, um, no. Sorry dudes, I'm glad you're having fun and all, but your party is not a revolution.

In fact, you getting high and dancing in a warehouse is exactly not at all different from what young people in American have been doing for a couple centuries now.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2012, 04:12:04 PM
I appreciate the rave scene as a place where some people can fit in and feel like they have a home and a family, but there is just no way I can take it seriously as a social movement. I know a lot of Burners who sincerely believe that Burning Man and its associated festivals and culture is some kind of social movement, too, and I just. Yeah. They're all "Our partying is changing the world!" and I'm all, um, no. Sorry dudes, I'm glad you're having fun and all, but your party is not a revolution.

In fact, you getting high and dancing in a warehouse is exactly not at all different from what young people in American have been doing for a couple centuries now.

It's just one of the more recent incarnations of the endless cycle of music/dance/catharsis/rebellion/hedonism/revolu..ohshitwefuckedup/decadence/drugs/self-destruct.

But it's still a vehicle. Without it, without places and situations in which to articulate that timeless rebellion and idealism and exchange of "right thinking" and community, you kill off a large part of the very concept within the consciousness of the potential collective before it's even born in their minds...like SOPA...and Doubleplusungood. They'll never know what they never knew. Kill the language and you kill the concept.

I believe (and you may disagree) that youthful decadence is a gateway drug to rebellion of tyrrany.

I don't do the drugs anymore. I don't need them and they're ineffective now. The cost/benefit analysis in my head tells me:
1. I learned all I'm really gonna learn from them
2. The ball's been set in motion and I'm doing a decent job at keeping it rolling (lulz) without the pillz
3. I have responsibilities now that raise risk to uncomfortable levels
4. I'm more useful to this movement, the revolution of decadence and to my fellow man as the "designated driver" for the rest of this trip, man. I'm an EMT. My job is to educate people about how to be careful and do it RIGHT and to clean their asses up off the deck when they're doing it WRONG.

My job is to take these ideals, stop chattering on about them in the bathroom of the venue with a nasty case of the eye wiggles and the teeth-grindies and put them into PRACTICE.

But I still reserve the right to dance about them responsibly when I'm off-duty.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But that seems to be basically the same as saying "being young is being part of the revolution".

What does partying have to do with it? That just seems like a glorification/justification of partying.

When I was 18-22ish the club and rave scene was huge, much more so than it is now. It was the heyday of the club kids. Same culture you describe; lots of hedonism and rebellion.

A lot of those kids went on to work for Enron and Boeing and Bank of America. There is nothing inherently rebellious or revolutionary about partying. You may be a revolutionary who parties, but don't delude yourself that it means you're doing something important.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

And how many potentially effective revolutionaries get lost in the party?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Slurrealist

It's all about experience.
Can you describe to someone else the feeling of dancing while watching the Sun going up at 3 am? It's like talking about orgasms.
Without drugs it's impossible to imagine the rave scene, but you have always the choice to say no. No one is forcing them into you.
There are dickheads, of course, but they're everywhere.
Are people doing something for the changing of the general human consciousness? I can't give an answer to this. The only to do is to go to rave, experience the rave, and then make your own conclusions.
PLUR
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."

navkat

I prefer if everyone finds their own vehicle...it doesn't have to be The Rave. I'd just like to share mine sometimes.

Slurrealist

OMG!
Where are the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, furthermore know as the JAMS, furthermore known as the K-L-F on a rave thread!
They rocked the raves back in the nineties.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzNKXTAi658
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on January 18, 2012, 06:43:32 PM
I prefer if everyone finds their own vehicle...it doesn't have to be The Rave. I'd just like to share mine sometimes.

Feel free to share the things you love! I am just saying that it's a bit silly to claim that the rave itself is inherently part of some kind of revolution. It would be a bit like saying that making beads is part of the revolution, know what I mean? Or that fire dancing or getting a tattoo is part of the revolution. People tell themselves all kinds of silly things to make themselves feel good, but if partying was revolutionary the 70's wouldn't have been the end of an era of progressive thought in the US, it would have been the beginning.

navkat

Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

Feel free to share the things you love! I am just saying that it's a bit silly to claim that the rave itself is inherently part of some kind of revolution. It would be a bit like saying that making beads is part of the revolution, know what I mean? Or that fire dancing or getting a tattoo is part of the revolution. People tell themselves all kinds of silly things to make themselves feel good, but if partying was revolutionary the 70's wouldn't have been the end of an era of progressive thought in the US, it would have been the beginning.

Actually, I do find you to be a bit revolutionary, having escaped working for a corporation and instead, fired yourself into the hybrid of an artist/businesswoman. With kids.

I am endlessly enchanted by the little, disobediant things people do that add to the fun/good/kindness/freedom pile in life. Even if it seems like bullshit to others, putting any little bit out there means acres to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: navkat on January 18, 2012, 08:05:43 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2012, 07:55:48 PM

Actually, I do find you to be a bit revolutionary, having escaped working for a corporation and instead, fired yourself into the hybrid of an artist/businesswoman. With kids.

I am endlessly enchanted by the little, disobediant things people do that add to the fun/good/kindness/freedom pile in life. Even if it seems like bullshit to others, putting any little bit out there means acres to me.

I may be a revolutionary. You may be a revolutionary. However, making beads is not revolutionary, and neither is partying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

navkat

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2012, 03:49:03 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 18, 2012, 04:12:04 PM
They're all "Our partying is changing the world!"

I can't stand it.

Those Crusty people are doing it too. "Our dumpster diving and not bathing is changing the world!"

:lulz: