News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Employment, Mental Health & Learning Disability Stigma.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, January 14, 2012, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Relevant issue:  a friend of mine recently lost her job as a nanny because she had a letter from her University which referenced her "health issue" which had prevented her doing her dissertation on time.

She has since been told she no longer has a job by her employers, who seem to have assumed she had depression (never mind the whole "reading other people's mail" business).  She didn't.  She was suffering from extreme stress, as anyone who was doing a dissertation, had recently lost a job and was being harassed almost daily by her (very abusive) parents would be. 

Even the hint of mental illness will significantly downgrade your chances of getting or holding onto a job.  Lie, lie and lie again.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2012, 10:02:43 PM
Relevant issue:  a friend of mine recently lost her job as a nanny because she had a letter from her University which referenced her "health issue" which had prevented her doing her dissertation on time.

She has since been told she no longer has a job by her employers, who seem to have assumed she had depression (never mind the whole "reading other people's mail" business).  She didn't.  She was suffering from extreme stress, as anyone who was doing a dissertation, had recently lost a job and was being harassed almost daily by her (very abusive) parents would be. 

Even the hint of mental illness will significantly downgrade your chances of getting or holding onto a job.  Lie, lie and lie again.

I hope she's suing them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2012, 10:02:43 PM

The fuck? Those people are assholes. :|

Cain

Unfortunately, she may not be in any position to.  If she got the job through some kind of agency, then, well, she has a chance at least.  Besides, at the moment, she's got so little money, she's struggling to find a place to stay.  I'm trying to set her up with one of the parents here, who did mention they were looking for a nanny, but, well, they might want someone older.

Anyway, moral of the story: people who open other people's mail are generally judgemental pricks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 21, 2012, 11:50:58 PM
Unfortunately, she may not be in any position to.  If she got the job through some kind of agency, then, well, she has a chance at least.  Besides, at the moment, she's got so little money, she's struggling to find a place to stay.  I'm trying to set her up with one of the parents here, who did mention they were looking for a nanny, but, well, they might want someone older.

Anyway, moral of the story: people who open other people's mail are generally judgemental pricks.

Oh, it was a paper letter? That's probably something she can press charges for at no cost. In the US that's a Federal offense.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."