PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Hollywood Must Be Destroyed

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, January 18, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingyak

Quote from: Cramulus on January 19, 2012, 12:34:06 AM
Give us some copyleft resources! we'll play with them

Question - is youtube part of the bad guys?

Dammit, Cramulus, pay attention!

1. Give thumb drives to five people, who in turn give thumb drives to five people, who then give thumb drives to five people*
2. ?????????
3. HOLLYWOOD DESTROYED!

*If you do not give your thumb drives to five people by May 23, your cock will explode. Bill Troutman of Buzzard's Breath, New Mexico didn't pass on his thumb drives an now HE HAS NO PENIS!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

B-B-B- I'VE ONLY GOT TWO THUMBS!
            /
:cramstipated:

kingyak

That could be problematic for your penis.

Cain

Quote from: kingyak on January 19, 2012, 12:39:46 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 19, 2012, 12:34:06 AM
Give us some copyleft resources! we'll play with them

Question - is youtube part of the bad guys?

Dammit, Cramulus, pay attention!

1. Give thumb drives to five people, who in turn give thumb drives to five people, who then give thumb drives to five people*

But who will destroy Big Thumbdrive, then?

kingyak

An army of hyper-intelligent cybernetic apes, obviously.

Cramulus

If everybody on this planet just makes 1 second of entertainment, we could have 1,319 consecutive days of entertainment!

Cramulus

...that's only 3.6 years! We could do better!

if everybody on the planet makes a 1-minute video, BAM, 216 years of cinema

AFK

Just to be contrarian, Imma gonna go out and buy MORE first-hand musics.  You should seen all the first-hand shit I bought myself for Christmas.  I ain't gonna buy some piece of shit, second hand Korpiklaani CD with scratches and smudge marks that's gonna skip all over the damned place.  I want the real McCoy, with brand new liner notes and the shiny album art. 

The music industry is not destorying America.  Hollywood isn't destroying America. 

That's just nonsense. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

If "Hollywood" has such grand ambitions, perhaps it should get a little practice and start out by destroying some small backwater African country first. Maybe by causing an earthquake.

What I'm trying to say is, Hollywood needs to shake Djibouti.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Phox

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 19, 2012, 01:37:28 AM
If "Hollywood" has such grand ambitions, perhaps it should get a little practice and start out by destroying some small backwater African country first. Maybe by causing an earthquake.

YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE, AND THAT WAS TERRIBLE!  :tgrr:

On to the OP and subsequent discussion: What's wrong with kicking some cash to a wroking band, man? You know, I am rather fond of Eli August, after being introduced to him via Suu's show, but I unfortunately do not own any of his music. I s'pose if I looked hard enough I could find it and download it. But I'd rather just buy an album from him and you know, make sure he gets paid for the work he did for my enjoyment.

kingyak

Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 19, 2012, 01:59:51 AM
I s'pose if I looked hard enough I could find it and download it. But I'd rather just buy an album from him and you know, make sure he gets paid for the work he did for my enjoyment.

That bit there is my biggest issue with the way the music and movie industries are going about their attempts at "IP protection" through laws like SOPA. I honestly believe that most things that get downloaded illegally are things that aren't available for legitimate purchase (concert recordings, for example), or things that the downloader probably wouldn't have paid for in the first place, especially these days when paid downloads are relatively cheap and easy versus finding a pirate copy that's correctly labeled and not more virus-laden than Charlie Sheen. Overly-strict IP laws, IMO, are really about protecting the mainstream entertainment industry's right to profit from content that is just enough to the positive side of mediocre that some people will begrudgingly pay for it if they have no other choice. Creators of content that is legitimately good can profit without overly-restrictive IP laws simply be virtue of the fact that they're creating good content that people actually want to pay for.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 19, 2012, 01:37:28 AM

JESUS FUCKING FUCK :crankey:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: kingyak on January 19, 2012, 05:55:24 AM
I s'pose if I looked hard enough I could find it and download it. But I'd rather just buy an album from him and you know, make sure he gets paid for the work he did for my enjoyment.

That bit there is my biggest issue with the way the music and movie industries are going about their attempts at "IP protection" through laws like SOPA. I honestly believe that most things that get downloaded illegally are things that aren't available for legitimate purchase (concert recordings, for example), or things that the downloader probably wouldn't have paid for in the first place, especially these days when paid downloads are relatively cheap and easy versus finding a pirate copy that's correctly labeled and not more virus-laden than Charlie Sheen. Overly-strict IP laws, IMO, are really about protecting the mainstream entertainment industry's right to profit from content that is just enough to the positive side of mediocre that some people will begrudgingly pay for it if they have no other choice. Creators of content that is legitimately good can profit without overly-restrictive IP laws simply be virtue of the fact that they're creating good content that people actually want to pay for.

The more I know about the companies that back the RIAA and MPAA, the less I think these laws have to do with protecting content from piracy. It leaves me baffled and I have no idea what they're really for, though.

I can tell you that you won't be hurting any of the big companies appreciably by boycotting physical media distribution.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: kingyak on January 19, 2012, 05:55:24 AM

Don't disagree with that, for sure. But I think that's a bit beside the point though, innit? I mean, the OP is calling for basically complete and total artistic...  communism? I mean, recording ain't cheap. There is also a large time investment in writing and rehearsing, etc. I'm not sure distributing everything via kopyleft would be an equitable solution.