News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Hollywood Must Be Destroyed

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, January 18, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 20, 2012, 05:06:40 PM
I believe you also mentioned something about not buying first hand music. This suggests that you are somehow getting your music without giving the artist their due. If youre buying a used cd cool. Otherwise second hand seems to indicate piracy.

The implication was supposed to be to buy secondhand. I shall make that explicit.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 20, 2012, 04:57:02 PM
This manifesto is supposed to be more directed to the people who already have some inclination to make their own free stuff purely to express themselves to get off their asses and do it.

Okay, but you're going to need more than just AKK to make a difference.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 20, 2012, 05:09:21 PM
I believe you also mentioned something about not buying first hand music. This suggests that you are somehow getting your music without giving the artist their due. If youre buying a used cd cool. Otherwise second hand seems to indicate piracy.

The implication was supposed to be to buy secondhand. I shall make that explicit.

Ok, I've fixed it.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 20, 2012, 05:09:21 PM

You're still fucking the artist, but at least you're supporting a brick & mortar store Ebay.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

There is still an implication here that any artist that is considered "mainstream" is part of the problem and needs to be punished.  Just to put that into perspective, that would mean a band like Sonic Youth, who have been a major label recording artist.  Now, anyone who knows anything about Thurston Moore and the Youth would know that they don't exactly fit into the same mold as a band like Metallica that's bitched and moaned about Napster, et al.  But they signed with a major label, in part, to cast a wider net with their music and get more people into what the art they are producing. 

I dunno, this seems rather akin to an idea of being pissed off about the War in Iraq and spitting on the soldiers to punish the lawmakers that put them in the dessert.  Entertainers deserve to be paid and supported like any other person working and creating a product in the USA.  "Destroying Hollywood" isn't going to accomplish what you think it will accomplish, and you'll be taking out a whole host of hard-working Americans while the Fat Cats remain fat. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: RWHN on January 20, 2012, 05:50:27 PM
There is still an implication here that any artist that is considered "mainstream" is part of the problem and needs to be punished.

With the exception of James Hetfield1, I'm with you on this one.  Being good at what you do is no reason to be punished.

1  His whining makes me want bad things to happen to him.  And his cat.

AFK

You'll get no argument from me there. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: RWHN on January 20, 2012, 05:50:27 PM
There is still an implication here that any artist that is considered "mainstream" is part of the problem and needs to be punished.  Just to put that into perspective, that would mean a band like Sonic Youth, who have been a major label recording artist.  Now, anyone who knows anything about Thurston Moore and the Youth would know that they don't exactly fit into the same mold as a band like Metallica that's bitched and moaned about Napster, et al.  But they signed with a major label, in part, to cast a wider net with their music and get more people into what the art they are producing. 

I dunno, this seems rather akin to an idea of being pissed off about the War in Iraq and spitting on the soldiers to punish the lawmakers that put them in the dessert.  Entertainers deserve to be paid and supported like any other person working and creating a product in the USA.  "Destroying Hollywood" isn't going to accomplish what you think it will accomplish, and you'll be taking out a whole host of hard-working Americans while the Fat Cats remain fat.
Whether a band deserves to be compensated for their artistic efforts or not I think is pretty well agreed upon ITT (yes, they fucking do). Choosing not to purchase from any label would just be the most intellectually sound way of trying to get at what the original goal here kind of was (to punish the machine that is distributing content and also being dickholes). While that in theory could hurt some artists who are already on labels, that does not prevent artists from leaving labels to go the independent distribution route, nor does it constitute theft in any meaningful sense (unless you are then pirating their music instead of doing without).
Alternatively, I could see trying to convince people to pirate everything and then mail $20 to the artists directly, but a) people are dicks and wouldn't mail it in and b) that's a shitty way of doing things to begin with.

Nephew Twiddleton

That concept gave me a chuckle.

Include the sound engineer on that bad idea too though. Thats a lot of work too.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

kingyak

A little nit-picky, I realize, but a boycott on any artist that signs with a label is also too broad. There are a lot of small labels that are not part of the problem and who treat their artists fairly and are actually fulfilling the useful role of handling a lot of the day-to-day business and promotion stuff that the artist can't handle themselves (John Prine's Oh Boy! Records comes to mind, but I'm sure there are a lot more). By boycotting all labels, you'd actually hurt labels who are doing what they're supposed to be doing. A real movement against the entertainment industry would require identifying the players that are causing a problem as well as the ones who are acting in good faith and educating people on which labels should and should not be supported. Otherwise, you're more likely to destroy a lot of good labels without doing any significant damage to the bad (on the off chance you destroy the bad labels along with the good, you're just creating a vacuum that will be filled with new and equally bad players). Of course, that kind of thing would require actual legwork and research and isn't nearly as cool as shouting "BURN IT DOWN!"
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: kingyak on January 20, 2012, 06:39:12 PM
A little nit-picky, I realize, but a boycott on any artist that signs with a label is also too broad. There are a lot of small labels that are not part of the problem and who treat their artists fairly and are actually fulfilling the useful role of handling a lot of the day-to-day business and promotion stuff that the artist can't handle themselves (John Prine's Oh Boy! Records comes to mind, but I'm sure there are a lot more). By boycotting all labels, you'd actually hurt labels who are doing what they're supposed to be doing. A real movement against the entertainment industry would require identifying the players that are causing a problem as well as the ones who are acting in good faith and educating people on which labels should and should not be supported. Otherwise, you're more likely to destroy a lot of good labels without doing any significant damage to the bad (on the off chance you destroy the bad labels along with the good, you're just creating a vacuum that will be filled with new and equally bad players). Of course, that kind of thing would require actual legwork and research and isn't nearly as cool as shouting "BURN IT DOWN!"

Now you've done it.  You've brought NUANCE into it, and that means PDS might have to THINK, instead of getting his KNEE JERK on, which is - at least in his mind - less likely to get him laid with hipster/trustafarian chicks.

Freeky

Lol, "Can't kill the king without capturing a few pawns."

Tell me, PDS, how are you any different from people who rationalize bad shit by saying "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs"?  I am somehow relating this saying to children dying in horrible, violent ways, but I don't know what particular thing I heard this about.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 04:40:44 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 20, 2012, 04:24:17 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 03:41:18 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2012, 10:51:24 PM
I haven't traced all of the big four to their umbrella corps, but it looks like they may all be owned by the big five information corporations... which would make it not entirely unlikely that this is really about controlling information on the internet. The big five already (for all practical purposes) own the airwaves and print, so it makes sense that the internet would be their next bid.
One of them is Disney.

Just saying.

Yep. Another one traces back to Comcast.

SOPA and PIPA have nothing to do with copyright protection. They have to do with media control.

Actually, I've got the current list at the house.  I'll be happy to post it when I get home.

Please do!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on January 20, 2012, 07:21:02 PM

Tell me, PDS, how are you any different from people who rationalize bad shit by saying "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs"?  I am somehow relating this saying to children dying in horrible, violent ways, but I don't know what particular thing I heard this about.

But didn't Iraq show us that collateral damage is hunky dory?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on January 20, 2012, 07:48:44 PM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on January 20, 2012, 07:21:02 PM

But didn't Iraq show us that collateral damage is hunky dory?

:foam: