News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Hollywood Must Be Destroyed

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, January 18, 2012, 10:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Hey rog you know what i like just as much as collateral damage? Pawns. Oh yeah. Some pawns must be sacrificed.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 20, 2012, 04:33:51 AM
ECH's 1st Law: Never attribute to intentional evil that which can be explained by stupidity or incompetence.

ECH's 1st Corollary: 98% of humanity is either stupid or incompetent.

ECH's law is also known as Hanlon's Razor.

ECH's second law is rank optimism.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

:lulz:

That depends. You didn't ask me about the other 2%.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

kingyak

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 20, 2012, 11:36:00 AM
Hey rog you know what i like just as much as collateral damage? Pawns. Oh yeah. Some pawns must be sacrificed.

STFU and get back to the song mines, pawn! I demand free entertainment now!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 20, 2012, 02:15:08 AM
Thats totally unfair man. I would suggest to you that you support local musicians and minor labels if you have qualms about that sort of thing.

I'll add a line to this effect to my manifesto.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Nephew Twiddleton

Nephew Twiddleton

Ok diogenes. Thats better than asking us not to get paid. Now maybe you might also want to consider a flat out boycott of major label acts rather than not paying them for stuff they created.

Editted for accidental omission of not.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 03:41:18 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2012, 10:51:24 PM
I haven't traced all of the big four to their umbrella corps, but it looks like they may all be owned by the big five information corporations... which would make it not entirely unlikely that this is really about controlling information on the internet. The big five already (for all practical purposes) own the airwaves and print, so it makes sense that the internet would be their next bid.
One of them is Disney.

Just saying.

Yep. Another one traces back to Comcast.

SOPA and PIPA have nothing to do with copyright protection. They have to do with media control.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 20, 2012, 04:24:17 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 03:41:18 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 19, 2012, 10:51:24 PM
I haven't traced all of the big four to their umbrella corps, but it looks like they may all be owned by the big five information corporations... which would make it not entirely unlikely that this is really about controlling information on the internet. The big five already (for all practical purposes) own the airwaves and print, so it makes sense that the internet would be their next bid.
One of them is Disney.

Just saying.

Yep. Another one traces back to Comcast.

SOPA and PIPA have nothing to do with copyright protection. They have to do with media control.

Actually, I've got the current list at the house.  I'll be happy to post it when I get home.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I've added another line to the suggesting that the many people out there who don't want to cut out mainstream media entirely could instead limit their patronage to films, bands, etc where the actors, singers, directors, etc have publicly expressed opposition to SOPA.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

The Good Reverend Roger

Here's my deal, PDS:  If artists don't have a right to be paid for their work, then neither does anyone else.  We merely enjoy privilege.

You stealing a song is - simply put - stealing from someone trying to make a living.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 04:48:21 PM
Here's my deal, PDS:  If artists don't have a right to be paid for their work, then neither does anyone else.  We merely enjoy privilege.

You stealing a song is - simply put - stealing from someone trying to make a living.

Exactly!!

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 20, 2012, 04:48:21 PM

I'm not saying that we should pirate things. My manifesto does not at any time mention ripping off copyrighted music.
This manifesto is supposed to be more directed to the people who already have some inclination to make their own free stuff purely to express themselves to get off their asses and do it. I have no problem with paying artists for their for their music, acting, writing, etc. (My problem is purely with the corrupt middlemen between them and myself).

(Perhaps I should also add a line supporting artists who sell their work directly to the consumer)

Q. G. Pennyworth

Maybe you didn't think this through too much...

Nephew Twiddleton

I believe you also mentioned something about not buying first hand music. This suggests that you are somehow getting your music without giving the artist their due. If youre buying a used cd cool. Otherwise second hand seems to indicate piracy.