Obama State of the Union Adress registers as 8th grade reading level material

Started by Telarus, January 25, 2012, 10:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Iptuous on January 30, 2012, 05:06:48 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on January 28, 2012, 05:58:49 AM
Quote from: Iptuous on January 27, 2012, 05:39:56 PM
Not being well versed in a particular topic doesn't require that the language be 'dumbed down' by measure of sentence and word length, though.
It is simply a matter of not using jargon and defining terms not likely to have been encountered by the audience.

There's a very real cognitive load associated with parsing longer sentences.  English (or any other natural language) has unbounded lookahead.  That's problematic, because it means that you could potentially need to wait all the way until the end of the sentence to even figure out which part of speech the first word was, which requires keeping the entire sentence in working memory, unparsed, for as long as it takes they guy to finish saying all of the words.

Shorter sentences put a cap on this memory management (mostly; you still need additional context to resolve sentences like "They are hunting dogs."), which means that the listener can spend more brainpower thinking about what is being said, as opposed to merely parsing it.  Given that the speech is televised and there's no way to know or control how many things are competing for the home viewers' attention (cooking, kids running around, whatever) it's common sense to make your speech require as little dedicated cognition as possible.

was this meant to address the point i was making?

Yes.  Although, I think I might have misjudged what the point that you were making was.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cain

The more important fact, being missed ITT, is who cares about the SOTU?  It's bullshit, filler for DC gossips, propagandizing for policy twerps. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2012, 01:32:27 PM
The more important fact, being missed ITT, is who cares about the SOTU?  It's bullshit, filler for DC gossips, propagandizing for policy twerps.

It made a cool drinking game when Bush 43 was in office. 

Just saying.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I remember RAW writing that what qualifies as "information" is inverse to the amount of predictability in a signal; as an example, he said a political speech has very low information.  I think the SOTU makes his case.

Scribbly

I did a lot of speech analysis in my dissertation. From what I remember, shorter snappier sentences evoke a greater sense of urgency and energy. Repetition of key words and phrases is paramount, and everything should be vague enough that it could be interpreted to mean any number of things; which means avoiding specifics and focusing on intangibles.

Obama's election campaign was full of lots of perfect examples of this. Hope! Change! Yes We Can!
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2012, 01:50:20 PM

It made a cool drinking game when Bush 43 was in office. 

Just saying.

Bush 43 was special.  In many senses of the word.

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 31, 2012, 01:55:09 PM
I remember RAW writing that what qualifies as "information" is inverse to the amount of predictability in a signal; as an example, he said a political speech has very low information.  I think the SOTU makes his case.

Well, yeah.  It's not information: it's propaganda.  Lets get the voters all fired up by talking a big talk about jobs, and killing Bin Laden, and jobs and stuff! It's a campaign speech.

Honestly, the world would be better off if it ignored all such speeches entirely, and just focused on what political actors actually do.

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2012, 02:09:46 PM
Honestly, the world would be better off if it ignored all such speeches entirely, and just focused on what political actors actually do.

This!

No, he's not a liberal

This is a wall street big business president.

Yes, now soldiers can kiss, that's awesome, and I guess it's a cultural victory.

No, he's not "saving the middle class".

Oh wait, RAH! RAH! Jobs! Bin Laden! Flags!

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 31, 2012, 01:55:09 PMI remember RAW writing that what qualifies as "information" is inverse to the amount of predictability in a signal; as an example, he said a political speech has very low information.  I think the SOTU makes his case.

Originally formulated by Claude Shannon, founder of Information Theory. The inverse of the predictability of a signal is called its "entropy" (in the Information Theory sense of the word--parallels with the physics term). Among other things it explains why an optimally compressed/encoded signal is statistically indistinguishable from random white noise. You may know his name from the Shannon-Nyquist sampling theorem used in signal processing.

Checking his Wikipedia article, seems he was one of those really awesome scientists, I should read up some more about him:

QuoteOutside of his academic pursuits, Shannon was interested in juggling, unicycling, and chess. He also invented many devices, including rocket-powered flying discs, a motorized pogo stick, and a flame-throwing trumpet for a science exhibition[citation needed]. One of his more humorous devices was a box kept on his desk called the "Ultimate Machine", based on an idea by Marvin Minsky. Otherwise featureless, the box possessed a single switch on its side. When the switch was flipped, the lid of the box opened and a mechanical hand reached out, flipped off the switch, then retracted back inside the box. Renewed interest in the "Ultimate Machine" has emerged on YouTube and Thingiverse. In addition he built a device that could solve the Rubik's cube puzzle.[4]

He is also considered the co-inventor of the first wearable computer along with Edward O. Thorp.[19] The device was used to improve the odds when playing roulette.

Quote from: Cramulus on January 31, 2012, 02:33:28 PMOh wait, RAH! RAH! Jobs! Bin Laden! Flags!

Hey, there is no evidence he was behind the death of Jobs.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Cramulus

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on January 29, 2020, 06:02:10 PM
Needed more discussion about his tan suit IMO

I am just enjoying reading people talk about how awful Obama was, through the lens of HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCKism.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2012, 11:10:06 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 25, 2012, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2012, 10:15:24 PM
Most "serious" news registers at around that level, as well.

Tabloids register at effectively the reading level of a 9 year old.

Pretty fucking highbrow, considering their audience :eek:

You don't have to jump very high, that's true.

He could have just stood there grunting and whistling, and he'd have had 90% of the nation in his pocket.

PROPHECY
Molon Lube

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 29, 2020, 06:14:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2012, 11:10:06 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on January 25, 2012, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2012, 10:15:24 PM
Most "serious" news registers at around that level, as well.

Tabloids register at effectively the reading level of a 9 year old.

Pretty fucking highbrow, considering their audience :eek:

You don't have to jump very high, that's true.

He could have just stood there grunting and whistling, and he'd have had 90% of the nation in his pocket.

PROPHECY

Prophets gonna prophecy.
This ain't the first.
It will surely not be the las... 
Oh yeah he's dead and shit.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl