News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

RENAMED: Roger is bored. Do something!

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 27, 2012, 02:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 30, 2012, 08:26:08 PM
Quote from: Queen_Gogira on January 30, 2012, 08:24:05 PM
But lurking is how new people don't get their faces eaten!

Nope.  Not being asshats is how new people don't get their faces eaten.

New people learning the ropes isn't the issue, I suspect, it's the ones who have done little but lurk for a long time.

Yep.  Backsliders.  Indulgers in false slack.  Mentally lazy.

Ready for NASCAR.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sita

Quote from: Luna on January 30, 2012, 08:23:58 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 30, 2012, 08:19:19 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on January 30, 2012, 08:16:38 PM
The change I made was to post replies to high quality work expressing the equivalent to 'good' even if I felt it wasn't an adequate response. I had nothing worth saying to Nigels dad thread but at least ny putting it out there that I found it was great I got some ideas rolling, loosened up my own thoughts and turned a one off post into something that felt like a discussion.

EXACTLY.  THIS ^^^

Nobody is expecting Shakespeare, here.  The idea is to have conversations, not an E-Zine.

My response in that thread, if I recall, was nothing more brilliant than, "wow."

Lurking lets your brain idle.  Run it through its paces once in awhile.
Gotcha. A single word post of acknowledgement is better than nothing. I think I can do that.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Iron Sulfide

You can still get your face eaten while lurking.

Well, at least, I can and have.
Ya' stupid Yank.

LMNO

I was going to post the below, but then I read the 14 replies that showed up after I found time to write it.

QuoteWell, I suppose one of the perception problems is that I log on in the morning and leave it in the background all day.  So while I'm doing work, it looks like I'm just lurking.

And yeah, I have been reading more than I've been writing.  My "fucking around" time has been constrained for the last few months, and will continue to do so for the next few.

So, I may as well not be perceived as part of the problem.  Signing out now until I have more time to hang.

Saved for posterity.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iron Sulfide on January 30, 2012, 08:31:28 PM
You can still get your face eaten while lurking.

Well, at least, I can and have.

I've been doing exactly that for two pages.

:lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 30, 2012, 08:31:43 PM
I was going to post the below, but then I read the 14 replies that showed up after I found time to write it.

QuoteWell, I suppose one of the perception problems is that I log on in the morning and leave it in the background all day.  So while I'm doing work, it looks like I'm just lurking.

And yeah, I have been reading more than I've been writing.  My "fucking around" time has been constrained for the last few months, and will continue to do so for the next few.

So, I may as well not be perceived as part of the problem.  Signing out now until I have more time to hang.

Saved for posterity.

Again, LMNO, this ain't about people who have to actually work or run after a kid or something.  You don't have TIME, that's fine.  You are hardly a "lurker".

Also, I really regret even mentioning it, because now Coyote's changed his name to FUCKED OFF and buggered off again.

There is no way to do this sort of thing without hitting everyone EXCEPT your targets.   :argh!:

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 30, 2012, 08:27:47 PM
What's even worse than lurkers is people who won't acknowledge someone because they feel a rivalry, or because they're nursing some ancient stern damage.

I mean, this is the fucking internet, right?  Even *I* get over my butthurt in fairly short order, and as far as rivalry goes, just exactly how much are we being PAID for this?

The FUNNY ones - to me, personally - are the ones who disapprove of my (or someone else's, same thing) attitude or beliefs.  The person in question (me, usually), is the WRONG KIND OF DISCORDIAN, and any encouragement would RUIN IT ALL FOREVER.

And the very funniest part of THAT is that they think they're not being obvious about it.

It boggles my poor little brain that there is, apparently, a WRONG way...

The only wrong way, IMHO, is NOT to do it.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Iron Sulfide

There's a LOT of shit to read here. I have SO MUCH to catch up on.

I've been trying my damnedest not to be an utter douche lately, too.

Also, at least I'm not playing/talking about Skyrim.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Iron Sulfide

I re-read that after posting and it sounded kind of douche-y. I'm working on it.
Ya' stupid Yank.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iron Sulfide on January 30, 2012, 08:35:13 PM

1.  Cable TV has like 900 channels now, too.  This obviously means you can't watch any new program unless you hit On Demand and watch everything from the beginning.  At least according to the logic that says you have to read every thread on PD before you can respond to anything.  Just saying.

2.  The Skyrim thread makes me belch hatred uncontrollably.  Coyote's take off on it was brilliant, though...Though I can't see the images unless I'm posting from home.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 30, 2012, 08:38:18 PM
2.  The Skyrim thread makes me belch hatred uncontrollably.  Coyote's take off on it was brilliant, though...Though I can't see the images unless I'm posting from home.

You could move it to the RPG subforum, where no one would notice it and it would die a slow death.

Luna

Playing Skyrim is fine. Talking about it is fine. Hell, if I knew we have more SW:TOR players here, I might have a thread to discuss that, because it's something I enjoy.  But, if that's all that's going on, it doesn't give those of us who don't play much to riff off of.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 30, 2012, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 30, 2012, 08:38:18 PM

You could move it to the RPG subforum, where no one would notice it and it would die a slow death.

I'll leave that up to the OP and ECH.  I mean, if I can rant in AT, then the video game freaks can jabber about Skyrim in AT, right?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 30, 2012, 08:39:46 PM

Playing Skyrim is fine. Talking about it is fine. Hell, if I knew we have more SW:TOR players here, I might have a thread to discuss that, because it's something I enjoy.  But, if that's all that's going on, it doesn't give those of us who don't play much to riff off of.

That's the killer, right there.  If we only have 12-15 regular, every day posters left, and 8 of them are talking about nothing but video games, we may as well repurpose the board.

Not saying NOT to post in threads like that, but maybe they ought to post somewhere else, too.

I also think - just my opinion - that we have too many subforums for the current level of traffic on the board.  We don't have a hundred regular users anymore.  We have less than 30, at best.

Sita

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 30, 2012, 08:34:23 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 30, 2012, 08:31:43 PM

Saved for posterity.

Again, LMNO, this ain't about people who have to actually work or run after a kid or something.  You don't have TIME, that's fine.  You are hardly a "lurker".

Also, I really regret even mentioning it, because now Coyote's changed his name to FUCKED OFF and buggered off again.

There is no way to do this sort of thing without hitting everyone EXCEPT your targets.   :argh!:
Something that has been beat into my head lately, that I think more people need to think about, is that if you are not called out by name then it is quite probable that you are not the one being complained about.
And I'm amazed how something as simple as the term lurker can be taken so badly. I thought it was fairly obvious that a lurker would be someone that goes months logging in but saying nothing. Not someone that doesn't post every day, multiple times a day.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.