News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

In Zennance for my Actions...

Started by Elder Iptuous, January 31, 2012, 06:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

As my Spiritual Adviser has required, i read through some Zen Koans from a specific collection, and have written up my thoughts on the matter.

2.   Finding a Diamond on a Muddy Road

Wait. This is a Koan?  I'm not confused at all!  I want my money back.
So, this fellow was a drunkard and wife beater.  Gudo says he can help the guy, and does nothing but allow his presence to shame him, and the guy decides to follow Gudo forever. (forsaking his family, presumably)  We are then told that Modern Zen is derived from this guy's work.  Well, that's just as bad as that damned Indian prince that tried to convince everyone to commit spiritual suicide, abandoning his own family in the process!
Conclusion: crap story. Not a Koan.

3.   Is That So?

The lesson at first appears to be that by accepting the guilt of despoiling the young girl that was not his to bear, Hakuin spared her and the actual father, for the time being, from facing the mess that they had created, and he thereby acted rightly.  However, upon reflection, the  lesson would seem to be an indictment of the girl's parents for accepting her testimony without question showing that things are not always what they seem.  Of course, this is a clichĂ©d aphorism that I first remember hearing from an episode of He-Man, so I suspect that I am missing something from this revered text.

5.   If You Love, Love Openly 

An admonition of secret love?  The abandon that Eshun required doesn't seem prudent.  Perhaps the lesson is that Love should not be prudent...

7.   Announcement 

I got nothing.  However, I now see that these 'koans' are not 13th century texts. Fraud! Deceit! Enlightenment!

23.   Eshun's Departure 

She's pretty cold for being on fire...  I mean, she spent her final breath to call one of her followers stupid?  what am i to learn of this, apart from 'keep your mouth shut when someone is immolating themselves, lest something stupid fall out'?

40.   In Dreamland

I like this one. It shows the beauty of an obvious lie that shines a spotlight on an obvious truth. A medal to the clever disciple!

19.   The First Principle

The First Principle being without cause, without context, immediate, and with no supervision or approval.  I like the way the notion of First Principle is brought into the midst of cause, context, and timeliness, indicating what is necessary for the impulse of action.

56.   The True Path
QuoteJust before Ninakawa passed away the Zen master Ikkyu visited him. "Shall I lead you on?" Ikkyu asked.
Ninakawa replied: "I came here alone and I go alone. What help could you be to me?"
Ikkyu answered: "If you think you really come and go, that is your delusion. Let me show you the path on which there is no coming and no going."
With his words, Ikkyu had revealed the path so clearly that Ninakawa smilled and passed away.

There is iron in this one.  It brings to mind the notion that I have used to assuage the tension I felt when I abandoned my faith regarding what happens 'after death'.  Upon reflecting on 'the coming' before we are born, and the lack of anxiety at that end of our existence, why should there be anxiety regarding 'the going'?  From a detached, big picture perspective, why should temporal limitation in the weave of the cosmos be upsetting whereas spatial limitation is not?  Or, perhaps more closely related, scale of mind?
The obvious answer is that we are wired to be anxious of our life ending, so as to increase the probability of our reproduction.  Or more accurately, if we were not wired that way, we wouldn't be here.
Recognizing this fact, and accepting it, can we not detach ourselves from this anxiety on the more existential level?  Recognizing that we will die, can we not act to delay the event without consternation that we cannot ultimately avoid it?
From the largest perspective, the cosmos is not the momentary slice of time that we are experiencing right now, with the past no longer existing, and the future more (or less) important.  It is a unified whole.  The segment of our life, in this context has no going, and no coming.  Given this, there should be no reason to lament that the continuity of our experience is a segment, rather than a ray.
I don't know if this thought will comfort me in my final moment, allowing me to 'smill and pass away'.  I hope so, however.  Because it's all that I've been able to get behind so far, and it comforts me enough that I no longer search for further comfort with any significant urgency.

The Good Reverend Roger

Did you actually just accuse Ashida Kim of making up koans?

:eek:

ONCE THERE WAS AN IPTUOUS...
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

uhhhh. hehe
i just googled Ashida Kim.
:lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

He's also a dynamo in bed.

He wrote about it in his book The Amorous Adventures of Ashida Kim.

No shit. 

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2012, 06:33:12 PM

No shit.

I am going to look for that.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2012, 06:34:44 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2012, 06:33:12 PM

No shit.

I am going to look for that.

Dojo Press.

Coincidentally, Ashida Kim himself runs that publishing house, which is so selective and quality-focused that it only prints books written by Ashida Kim and both of his adoring fans.

Elder Iptuous

I wonder if he could help me with this Mage's Guild quest that i'm stuck on....

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on January 31, 2012, 06:49:08 PM
I wonder if he could help me with this Mage's Guild quest that i'm stuck on....

Just don't drop a fork...

Elder Iptuous

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on January 31, 2012, 06:52:41 PM
:?

(glad that emote is back!)

realultimatepower.com

It seems there was this ninja eating in a diner, and someone dropped a fork, and the ninja FLIPPED OUT HARD and killed everyone in the restaurant.

So keep a firm grip on your silverware.

Elder Iptuous

Cramulus

Quote from: Iptuous on January 31, 2012, 06:23:14 PM
5.   If You Love, Love Openly 

An admonition of secret love?  The abandon that Eshun required doesn't seem prudent.  Perhaps the lesson is that Love should not be prudent...

Another way of telling this one is, "Don't let second thoughts about cholesterol hold you back. Eat the LIVING FUCK out of that hamburger."

Quote23.   Eshun's Departure 

She's pretty cold for being on fire...  I mean, she spent her final breath to call one of her followers stupid?  what am i to learn of this, apart from 'keep your mouth shut when someone is immolating themselves, lest something stupid fall out'?

Asking somebody who is on fire "Hot enough for ya?" is so obnoxious it should be in a discordian holy book somewhere.