News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Why Pastafarianism didn't persist.

Started by Kai, January 31, 2012, 08:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 31, 2012, 09:52:56 PM
Lotsa good points, here. I agree with alla youse.

I would actually go a step further, too, and say that beyond the superficial veneer of "joke religion", Pastafarianism and Discordianism have almost nothing in common. Discordianism is a framework of philosophy, whereas Pastafarianism is really nothing more than a joke with Christianity as its butt.

And they never added to the joke.

If we just kept mouthing the PD over and over again...Well, we'd be...Hugh.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2012, 09:54:44 PM

I would actually go a step further, too, and say that beyond the superficial veneer of "joke religion", Pastafarianism and Discordianism have almost nothing in common. Discordianism is a framework of philosophy, whereas Pastafarianism is really nothing more than a joke with Christianity as its butt.

Yeah, one-liners seldom add to creativity. It's like people repeating Monty Python lines.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Juana

I'd argue it's dead because of drama nonsense (Venganza was THE hub of FSM activity for years; Bobby Henderson and Venganza's long term Capellini are drama queens, the both of them. Cap is also everything you do not want in an admin) and not necessarily because of the admitted age/lameness of the joke. It probably would have died anyway, though, and become one of those things people discover in their adolescence and think is really fucking cool before they grow out of it.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

THIS.

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 31, 2012, 10:04:20 PM

Yeah, one-liners seldom add to creativity. It's like people repeating Monty Python lines.

AND THIS!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on January 31, 2012, 11:50:24 PM
I'd argue it's dead because of drama nonsense (Venganza was THE hub of FSM activity for years; Bobby Henderson and Venganza's long term Capellini are drama queens, the both of them. Cap is also everything you do not want in an admin) and not necessarily because of the admitted age/lameness of the joke. It probably would have died anyway, though, and become one of those things people discover in their adolescence and think is really fucking cool before they grow out of it.

Yeah, those strike me as contributing factors.

The FSM was narrowly situated in the existing cultural milieu.  By comparison, Discordianism had deeper roots - despite being heavily influenced by the 1960s counterculture and western interpretations of eastern mysticism, it has a more widespread appeal, precisely because it is not strictly connected to a particular cause or time.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Wow, this is an awesome thread. Excellent comments all around!

I think the main points I agree with is the simple difference that Discordianism is an absurdist philosophy and FSM is an absurd joke about one aspect of one type of one religion. The FSM wasn't designed (hah!) to be anything more than a joke... some spags simply held on to it for too long.

Had the Pastafarians focused on expanding the absurd joke, perhaps it would have grown. Same for CoG.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on February 01, 2012, 09:36:21 PM
Wow, this is an awesome thread. Excellent comments all around!

I think the main points I agree with is the simple difference that Discordianism is an absurdist philosophy and FSM is an absurd joke about one aspect of one type of one religion. The FSM wasn't designed (hah!) to be anything more than a joke... some spags simply held on to it for too long.

Had the Pastafarians focused on expanding the absurd joke, perhaps it would have grown. Same for CoG.

No, because the people at CoG were fucking idiots.  That place never had a chance.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

FSM mirrors Christianity in a lot of ways, too (ie, Mosey the Pirate and the eight I'd Rather You Didn'ts), which is not really refreshing or very interesting for very long because that's old hat.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 01, 2012, 10:23:52 PM
CoG?

Church of google.

There was a discordian jihad against them before I arrived.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Q. G. Pennyworth

I like that every email they ever got is "hate mail."

Cainad (dec.)

All of the above are very interesting thoughts, and the OP is almost exactly like something I tried to write quite a while ago but never managed to articulate to my satisfaction. Nice work, Kai.

Discordianism has the seeds of its own deconstruction built into itself. No matter how many iterations it goes through, there is a message etched into the foundation:

"Consider that this is probably all bullshit, no matter how good of a model it seems to be. Destroy this model in the event that it fails to coherently describe reality."

This is why Confusion is said to be a "holy state of mind." Confusion is when you've been presented with some information that your current understanding of the world cannot account for. It is in this state of confusion that we have to destroy the mental models we've built up (even if we built them with the help of Discordianism) and construct new ones that can account for the new information.

Discordianism isn't something you believe. It's something you practice.

AFK

After I got the PD, my wife started an annual Xmas tradition of getting me irreligious bibles as a present.  The next year I got the CotSG book, and then the FSM book.  I return quite often, and even regularly, to read pieces or the entities of the PD and BotSG.  I don't think I ever read the whole FSM book because, as others have commented, it was a one trick pony. 

Both the PD and BotSG have deeper and varied philosophies that are useful in the real world outside of the "organized religion is kooky" argument. 

It's kind of like the Joe the Plumber, of irreligions. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.