News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

'Gasland' Journalists Arrested At Hearing By Order Of House Republicans

Started by Juana, February 01, 2012, 05:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 01, 2012, 07:41:49 PM
Quote from: Net on February 01, 2012, 07:40:11 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 01, 2012, 05:39:20 PM
I told you people this shit was coming.  I said it YEARS ago.

"Hee hee!  Roger so crazeee!", everyone said, and went back to talking about cookies and pie and stabbity stabbity face-raping bats tequila.

Well, now it's fucking HAPPENING, and it's TOO LATE.

I must now go laugh myself into hysterics.  BRB.

It's too late?

Thank goodness, that excuses me from feeling like I should do something about it.

Yep.  It's been too late for at least 5 years.  The system is now immune to any known form of disturbance.

And here I was getting all stressed out about forming novel disturbances.

What a relief. I don't think I'll ever wipe my ass again.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on February 01, 2012, 07:55:02 PM

"Hee hee!  Roger so crazeee!", everyone said, and went back to talking about cookies and pie and stabbity stabbity face-raping bats tequila.

It's too late?

Thank goodness, that excuses me from feeling like I should do something about it.

Yep.  It's been too late for at least 5 years.  The system is now immune to any known form of disturbance.

Well, you just run right along and save the world.  Let me know how it works out.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

trippinprincezz13

It's too late?

And I think that's where the hopelessness and confusion comes in. As much as I want to shriek at everyone around me to "wake up", I also realize that it's just impotent rage. The machine's just going to keep plugging along, crushing anything that gets in its way. But there is no machine to tear down. The government, the media, the public, it's all the machine. An ever-growing, ever-feeding amorphous blob (kinda like you see at Wal-Mart). But I know ignoring a problem isn't going to solve it either. Can't unsee and all that, and even if I could put the blinders on, it's not going to STOP anything. So here I am, shrieking into the void, paddling with one arm to stay above water, and the other to grab at anyone nearby that might "get it" (even if I don't quite get "it")
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 01, 2012, 07:56:10 PM
Quote from: Net on February 01, 2012, 07:55:02 PM

It's too late?

Well, you just run right along and save the world.  Let me know how it works out.

Don't worry, I'm not even going to try to change my local government since it's protected by the white blood cells of gods.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Placid Dingo

Net's not being unreasonable here.

If there was no chance of ever being part of any positive change ever again in America, I don't know why anyone would stay there. The 'were all doomed' tone can get a bit grating, even if it comes from a sincere place.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Placid Dingo on February 01, 2012, 09:07:17 PM

If there was no chance of ever being part of any positive change ever again in America, I don't know why anyone would stay there. The 'were all doomed' tone can get a bit grating, even if it comes from a sincere place.

Because "not staying there" isn't as easy as one would like to think. People do have family, friends, misc. ties to community, financial constraints, economic constraints and who says any other country's gonna want us either? Then somehow finally weasel your way into some other country just to start the same shit over, different location? Not seeing many other great options anyway.

Not saying this to be all Negative Nancy, but picking up and leaving isn't quite as easy as it sounds.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz: Yeah, I was told "That will never happen in the United States!"

HAW HAW HAW!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Missing the point. Ignore the part about me not knowing why you'd stay there.

An approach that assumes some kind of positive change is possible is not a bad approach by  default.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cramulus

I'm with you.

I can't hold the unwashed masses responsible for the current bullshit state of things while divorcing myself of that same responsibility.

nothing stays the same forever

saying that there's no point trying to improve things is a self fulfilling prophecy

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on February 01, 2012, 09:33:20 PM

I can't hold the unwashed masses responsible for the current bullshit state of things while divorcing myself of that same responsibility.

You can if you're a bitter misanthrope.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on February 01, 2012, 08:23:44 PM
Don't worry, I'm not even going to try to change my local government since it's protected by the white blood cells of gods.

Who said anything about government?  Government - at any level - isn't the problem.  Your local "government" is just as helpless as any of its citizens.  I'd say the same goes for the federal government, except that it's full of insane people.  Insane people that were put there by "The People", who cannot make the connection between putting them there and insane results.

The problem is the ENTIRE system.  Corporations, "government", the people, everything.  It's grown too complex to manage, which just makes the people attempting to manage it (for a given value of "manage") more insane.

Juana

I don't think that, if everything comes tumbling down, it's going to be magically better next time around, even in a few generations when life is somewhat less messy. Most of the problems that exist now will exist then because game changers in society don't happen very much. The only difference is it won't be our problem because we'll already be dead.

Quote from: Cramulus on February 01, 2012, 09:33:20 PM

I'm with you.

nothing stays the same forever

saying that there's no point trying to improve things is a self fulfilling prophecy
^^^This. I don't feel like I can let things lie as they are or let them get worse without trying to do something, and if a million people do a little something, it begins to build up. There was decades of build-up before the women's and civil rights movements - legal fights and on the ground. I like to think that the continued existence of the OWS folks, for example, is the groundwork for something like that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

I realize that in a lot of ways, it would be shoring up the shitty system Roger's critiquing, but I have another sixty or seventy years on this planet and it would be nice to have a society to live in.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 01, 2012, 09:52:17 PM
^^^This. I don't feel like I can let things lie as they are or let them get worse without trying to do something, and if a million people do a little something, it begins to build up. There was decades of build-up before the women's and civil rights movements - legal fights and on the ground. I like to think that the continued existence of the OWS folks, for example, is the groundwork for something like that.

Okay.  I'll buy that.

Give me a root cause of failure, and let's see what, if anything, we can do about it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 01, 2012, 09:53:32 PM
I realize that in a lot of ways, it would be shoring up the shitty system Roger's critiquing, but I have another sixty or seventy years on this planet and it would be nice to have a society to live in.

This has all happened before, most notably in Rome, circa 70BCE-27BCE.

Civilization isn't ending.  The republic is.