News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Using Word to pre-write rants.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 31, 2012, 07:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Open Office. Free and I never have problems.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on January 31, 2012, 08:32:45 PM
Open Office. Free and I never have problems.

I am stuck using the software of my corporate masters.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

I used to have OpenOffice on a thumbstick for that exact reason.

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2012, 08:01:33 PM
Quote from: Net on January 31, 2012, 07:57:53 PMTry Notepad, IIRC it's just a basic PC text editor.
Notepad is even worse.  I have to go put every paragraph break back in when I cut & paste.

Then you're doing something wrong, with word-wrap switched on, it should be exactly equivalent to the post form on a website.

Maybe that's the difference? In the post form on the PD forum you need two linebreaks for a proper paragraph break (cause you use a blank line for spacing) but in Word it only needs one linebreak because the inter-paragraph spacing is part of the "paragraph style" settings, not the text.

Or do you mean pasting from and to Word documents? Because Word is the wonky one, Notepad is just plain text. The "paragraph style" spacing does not transfer to Notepad, just like font, color, italics will not.

So in short, you probably need two linebreaks between paragraphs.

The content of the clipboard can be in multiple formats. That's how you can copypaste images, files, folders, plain text [just letters and newlines] and formatted text [font, par breaks, italics, etc]. The thing is, Word deals with formatted text and Notepad deals with plain text.

(Since formatted text is almost never internally represented the same way across applications unless they're both Office applications, copypasting plaintext is almost always what you want. Hence, a lot of people copypaste their text chunks with a quick detour "dip" in Notepad, just to strip it of any formattings)

Re: GARBO on Open Office -- wouldnt help even if Rog could install it. OO's only advantage is that it is free. It's got the same amount of wonk that Word has.

Re: Queen_Gogira on Word Wrap -- in Notepad, the "word wrap" setting only affects display, not the actual contents of the file. It doesn't actually insert newlines, it just wraps long lines so they'll fit on the screen without having to display a horizontal scrollbar. You can verify this for yourself by changing the size of the Notepad window.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

alternatively, you can use GMail to write your rants in. Just compose a new mail addressed to self, GMail auto-saves your mail in the Drafts folder.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

Select "no spacing" when starting a new document in Word.

Still, Word 2007 onwards is fucking annoying.  Word 2003 was perfect, why did they have to mess with it?  SHINY NEW PRODUCT BUY BUY BUY of course, but still...

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 01, 2012, 09:17:18 AM
Re: Queen_Gogira on Word Wrap -- in Notepad, the "word wrap" setting only affects display, not the actual contents of the file. It doesn't actually insert newlines, it just wraps long lines so they'll fit on the screen without having to display a horizontal scrollbar. You can verify this for yourself by changing the size of the Notepad window.

I know what it's supposed to do, but it has legitimately thrown in line breaks where line breaks don't go on occasion for me. I'm fairly certain this is not a common thing.

Golden Applesauce

WRT Microsoft Word -
There's options to turn all that annoying paragraphy stuff off; most are in Paragraph settings.  Space before & after paragraphs is probably causing you the most trouble.  Getting your settings to override default on new documents is a little trickier, but can be done.

I swear that if you save the file while it's word wrapped it comes back with newlines in it.

Anyway, all of that's irrelevant because you should be using NOTEPAD++ (on windows anyway.)
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 01, 2012, 04:31:28 PM
I loathe the new version of Word.

Words cannot describe how much I hate Office 2007.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on February 01, 2012, 01:44:07 PM

I swear that if you save the file while it's word wrapped it comes back with newlines in it.

Anyway, all of that's irrelevant because you should be using NOTEPAD++ (on windows anyway.)

ok i might be wrong about the newlines thing. seems very odd though, because I never noticed it myself. But then, it's been ages since I used Notepad for things with longer lines.

About Notepad++, it's nice, I personally prefer jEdit or PSPad for Windows editors. I wouldn't recommend it for Roger though, because I don't really see the advantage if you're not writing code. Well, there might be a few, but it doesn't weigh up against the added complexity of having your menus crammed with 100s of options that you'll never use.

For text writing, the distraction free editors might be a good choice. They're full screen with just the text and optionally a word/line/char counter in the bottom. Bunch of extra features to aid text writing, but the main point is not to have anything else on the screen but the text so a writer can focus on that and only that:

* Q10
* Dark Room