News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

The original Principia Discordia.

Started by Kai, February 01, 2012, 10:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I have never before heard of The Eristesque Principle before, especially the first one. It is not in our current edition of the PD, at least not by name.

QuoteThe Eristesque Principle: is, essentially, that everything that claims to be ordered is in fact only superficially ordered, and imperfectly at that. In other words, even the greatest orderers of all humanity, The Scientists, find that every time they get some kind of good scheme going some damn thing or another doesn't fit and every word of the "knowledge" of science must be prefaced with the understanding that it might all be scrapped if the wrong evidence pops up tomorrow.Furthermore, every scientist today (using "scientist"narrowly) is spending the bulk of his time trying to figure out just what to do with all the bits of information that he already has that even now don't fit the scheme. Anyway, it is all well and good because the order is not really there in the first place--only primal chaos; it is we that give birth to order, imposed on chaos, so that we may utilize our environment and Lead A Good Life. That is, ordering is [essentially] a Human thing and also in fact, is essential to humans.

This idea that order is essentially Chaos and that disorder is equal to Chaos is different from the later incarnations, where order and disorder are both manifestations of Chaos.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Telarus

One story for the newbies, one for the "initiates to the hidden knowledge".  :evil:

Really, I think that Greg Hill developed the line of thought you quoted into a couple of different places in the "modern" Principia, expecting the reader to put it back together.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Q. G. Pennyworth

It feels like that "grew up" into the Psychometaphysics section from 4e. The stuff about ordering and scientists trying to figure out a scheme to describe it all sounds a hell of a lot like an early draft of the grids concept.

Kai

Quote from: Telarus on February 04, 2012, 05:42:25 AM
One story for the newbies, one for the "initiates to the hidden knowledge".  :evil:

Really, I think that Greg Hill developed the line of thought you quoted into a couple of different places in the "modern" Principia, expecting the reader to put it back together.

Can you back that up?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

It sounds quite a bit like RAW took this early principle and expanded on it in his essay "Never Whistle While You're Pissing":

http://surge.ods.org/idle_other/whistle.htm
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on February 05, 2012, 10:12:44 AM
It sounds quite a bit like RAW took this early principle and expanded on it in his essay "Never Whistle While You're Pissing":

http://surge.ods.org/idle_other/whistle.htm

Reminds me of Naming Nature, and the authors difficulty with scientific classification not fitting groups of species into traditional gestalt. She laments that there is no such thing as "Fish" anymore, at least as a single taxonomic group, because we understand that such a group would not include all the descendents. So there are the Condrichthyes, the Actinopterygii, the Coelocanths, and the Dipnoi, but there is no group Pisces, no Fish group. The four groups before are separate lineages. that branch before the tetrapods.

And then there are the Burgess Shale Cambrian fauna. Things like Hallucigenia, Opabinia, and Anomalocaris do not easily fit into modern phyla. "Neither fish nor fowl".