News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

'Man vs MRSA'

Started by Kai, February 02, 2012, 08:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Methicilin-Resistant Strephlococcus aureus (AKA MRSA) is becoming a huge problem in some parts of the country. You have probably heard of staph infections before, which occur when wounds are not properly sterilized. That's because S. aureus is all over our skin, it's a commensalist organism that usually doesn't cause us problems. And like most bacteria, a good sulfactant such as soap kills them without issue. And up until recently, antibiotics worked in most cases when they ended up inside people.

However, and like many pathogenic organisms these days, they are becoming resistant. In MRSA infections, there isn't much treatment that works because, as I said, it's resistant to antibiotics and /all over your skin/. If you get one MRSA infection, chances are that a second staph infection will also be MRSA.

So the current work is towards a vaccine.

QuoteThe heretical approach was inspired, in part, by a patient. As part of an ongoing project to root out the causes of recurring infections, in 2009 two of Daum's team members went to the home of a toddler who had recently been in the emergency department. But the girl wasn't there; she was in the hospital's intensive-care unit with a new infection. When Daum tracked her down, he noticed something odd in her records. She had had unusually frequent abscesses and repeated bouts of pneumonia.

Acting on a hunch, Daum teamed up with Steven Holland, chief of the clinical infectious diseases laboratory at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, Maryland, to carry out a detailed genetic analysis. Daum's hunch was right: the girl had a mutation that Holland had recently linked to a rare immunodeficiency called Job's syndrome7. People with the syndrome have persistent, smouldering S. aureus infections, owing to an inability to make a type of lymphocyte, or immune cell, called a TH17 cell.

These cells, which make a proinflammatory protein called interleukin-17, have become a hot topic in vaccine research. They are produced by a different branch of the immune system from the one that makes antibodies, yet they still seem to be involved in the body's memory of exposures to pathogens.

Daum believes that TH17 cells are the key to an S. aureus vaccine. "It looks like T cells are very important in staphylococcal immunity," he says. Spellberg demonstrated in 2009 that a vaccine that stimulated production of interleukin 17 could protect mice against infections of S. aureus and Candida albicans8. (That vaccine is now being developed by NovaDigm Therapeutics as NDV3.)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

I've heard that hyperbaric chambers are being used to treat MSRA infections, with some seeming success at controlling it if not completely curing it. Anything to that?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on February 03, 2012, 03:26:43 AM
I've heard that hyperbaric chambers are being used to treat MSRA infections, with some seeming success at controlling it if not completely curing it. Anything to that?

Seems there has been some success in suppressing necrotizing infections (such as MRSA) with hyperbaric oxygen therapy, but as to /curing/ it, I really can't find any evidence of that.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My dad almost died from MRSA a few years ago. He picked it up in Vegas catheterizing himself in a hotel room.

I don't really have anything to add, just that.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on February 04, 2012, 06:19:41 AM
My dad almost died from MRSA a few years ago. He picked it up in Vegas catheterizing himself in a hotel room.

I don't really have anything to add, just that.

LALALALALA I CAN'T READ THAT. :horrorvomit:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hirley0

2 sepant / 21March N.
i'poise the prime problem is thumbnails a good example is needed

Quote from: Nigel on February 04, 2012, 04:31:40 PM
:lulz:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy/my00829
THE MeDickAl Jokes aRe getting so stupid/STUPID Dr.Rx refuse to keep APT.
besides its pdx00782 stupid May 0 anyway:
1? DNA of HoSt 2: Dna of Bed Bug carrier 3? dNA of MsRa 4: & of course
the micro viral carried aboard the (UM tbd}? (ese kids ha)
aka lieves that TH17 c

hirley0

3 CIMI{death yeah VaLLey Funney WaTT?
ishould say someting WATT? i do not know it will bee 3:36 soon

Quote from: hirley0 on March 19, 2012, 12:59:48 PM
2 serpant / 21March N.
i'poise the prime problem is thumbnails a good example is needed

Quote from: Nigel on February 04, 2012, 04:31:40 PM
:lulz:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy/my00829
THE MeDickAl Jokes aRe getting so stupid/STUPID Dr.Rx refuse to keep APT.
besides its pdx00782 stupid May 0 anyway:
1? DNA of HoSt 2: Dna of Bed Bug carrier 3? dNA of MsRa 4: & of course
the micro viral carried aboard the (UM tbd}? (ese kids ha)
aka lieves that TH17 c

hirley0

hirley0

April 1 A new fast strain appeared: not funny