News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Roger, how could you let this happen?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 03, 2012, 07:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

I didn't let it happen.  It's a trap, a lure, a way to make Tucson look somehow appealing, even if in a loser-esque kind of way.

Don't listen to it.  There is no humor here.  There are laughs, but no humor at all.

heeeeheeeeheeeeeeeeeeeee
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

It's that kind of laugh you have when you feel all sick inside, when the paramedics are all standing around smoking cigarettes because there's nothing to be done, and they have that "I wish I'd been a plumber" look on their face and the rookies are puking and the beat reporter doesn't even have the heart to ask basic questions, because he's seen it all before.

It's the kind of laugh the coroners make as they tell the same stale jokes over new bodies (some of which may be missing a tooth or two, perhaps), it's the kind of laugh Knuckles makes right before someone gets dinged up some.  It's the kind of laugh the junkies make just before they burst into song like the poor people in Mary Poppins.  "I'm a scrivener, Gov!", they say - smiling that smile - as they rummage through your blood-stained pockets.

It's the kind of hollow laughter you hear in marble halls, the halls they have up in Starr Pass Resort, a 1/4 mile long hallway all cut from one vein of marble, with doors leading out to the gigantic marble decks from which you can look at the shanties of the SW barrio, while you have another $20 martini, and wonder why the little people choose to live that way.  It's the kind of laughter the Sheriff's deputy gives right before he leads a sentence off with "You People".

It's the Tucson laugh, the laugh that says it all, the laugh that says we know about the 56 civilian/DHS armored vehicles in the Houghton Street motor pool, and that we DON'T CARE, because NOTHING the feds can do to us is as bad as what Mommy Tucson will do.  Because She cares.  Because She loves us.  Because She wants us to grow up strong and be Hers forever.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You know, I think I have a piece of Tucson in me now.

Or maybe Tucson has a piece of me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 03, 2012, 10:00:03 PM

Probably both.  Tucson just loved you to death.  Next time you get down here, we'll have to walk the legal district on a weeknight...It's totally different, it's all noir and grit and wind.  If you aren't careful, you'll wake up years later, still walking around down there.  Happens all the time.

But it's still worth the risk, because it's the best way to really get to know Tucson.  I mean, the best way that still leaves you with all your bits attached.  Probably.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 03, 2012, 10:03:04 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 03, 2012, 10:00:03 PM

Probably both.  Tucson just loved you to death.  Next time you get down here, we'll have to walk the legal district on a weeknight...It's totally different, it's all noir and grit and wind.  If you aren't careful, you'll wake up years later, still walking around down there.  Happens all the time.

But it's still worth the risk, because it's the best way to really get to know Tucson.  I mean, the best way that still leaves you with all your bits attached.  Probably.

I am determined to get back there again someday. I need it. I NEED a road trip, preferably one all by myself where I sleep in the back of my car and it sometimes occurs to me that I could just keep on going and nobody would ever know what happened to me because there are still places you can go where nobody's too concerned about who you are or where you came from. Just as a thought, because of course I know I have to be home to take care of things. Eventually.