News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Discordian Weddings

Started by Danjanon, February 07, 2012, 02:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: navkat on February 09, 2012, 01:52:49 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 07, 2012, 04:33:48 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on February 07, 2012, 04:13:56 PM
Discordian wedding story: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,31574.0.html

I agree. It's not a real Discordian wedding unless you arrange for an infant to CHOLERA SPRAY HOSE all over everybody.

Will you DISCORDIAN MARRY ME, Zilch? I promise there will be angry prairie dogs and no hot dog buns.

ARE YOU PONDERING WHAT I'M PONDERING, NAVKAT????
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Yes, but where are we going to get 40 gallons of personal lubricant?

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 09, 2012, 08:11:51 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on February 09, 2012, 06:39:57 PM
If you ask me, the whole concept of marriage is "a bit iffy".

Balls.
So what are the advantages?  And who wins them?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Luna

Quote from: BadBeast on February 09, 2012, 09:42:03 PM

Balls.

If you're thinking "winning" and "advantages," yes, your concept of marriage is, in fact, "iffy."
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

BadBeast

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2012, 09:50:40 PM

Balls.

If you're thinking "winning" and "advantages," yes, your concept of marriage is, in fact, "iffy."
If there's no advantages or reward in it, then why bother with it? Why should a relationship between two people who love each other need any kind of legal or religious sanction at all?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Luna

Quote from: BadBeast on February 09, 2012, 10:00:06 PM

Balls.

If there's no advantages or reward in it, then why bother with it? Why should a relationship between two people who love each other need any kind of legal or religious sanction at all?

I've told this story before, I'm sure.

A couple friends of mine lived together for years... never got married.  He had a stroke.  Out of the blue thing, he was reasonably young, nobody expected him to have any health problems younger than I am now, I think.  His girlfriend had to get permission from his family, a family from whom he had been estranged for, literally, DECADES, just to visit.  All decisions about his care were made from halfway across the country, by people he wouldn't even exchange Christmas cards with.

I could give a flying fuck about religious sanction, but legal recognition?  That's important.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

BadBeast

Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2012, 10:09:19 PM

Balls.

A couple friends of mine lived together for years... never got married.  He had a stroke.  Out of the blue thing, he was reasonably young, nobody expected him to have any health problems younger than I am now, I think.  His girlfriend had to get permission from his family, a family from whom he had been estranged for, literally, DECADES, just to visit.  All decisions about his care were made from halfway across the country, by people he wouldn't even exchange Christmas cards with.

I could give a flying fuck about religious sanction, but legal recognition?  That's important.
Didn't he have any say in who cared for him? If The legal recognition regarding an individual's own wishes is dependent on marriage, then
that's almost like State co-ercion to get wed. And a pretty poor reason to marry. 

Luna

Quote from: BadBeast on February 09, 2012, 11:31:28 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 09, 2012, 10:09:19 PM

Balls.

Didn't he have any say in who cared for him? If The legal recognition regarding an individual's own wishes is dependent on marriage, then
that's almost like State co-ercion to get wed. And a pretty poor reason to marry.

He had a stroke, and dropped like a stone.  Was unconscious (or unresponsive, there's no knowing, really) until he passed.

Then, his family claimed his remains and had him buried "back home," in a state he hated.

As the system stands, saying, "we are married," by filing a marriage license (religious claptrap aside) hands you a laundry list of rights, including the right to make medical decisions for each other.  (The Human Rights Commission compiled a list of those rights, here:  http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/an-overview-of-federal-rights-and-protections-granted-to-married-couples .) 

There is considerable logic in being able to declare a long-term partner with whom you intend to share a life.  Joint property, the ability to claim retirement from the other person's pensions... 

But, hey, believe what you like.  Say you think the system is fucked...  But don't pretend it doesn't matter.

The Good Reverend Roger

Balls.

Well, here's one that's near & dear to me right now:  On Sunday, my wife was utterly incapacitated by an incredible tooth infection that swelled up out of nowhere.  It was so bad, it affected her eyesight.

I was able to authorize medical care for her, because she was in no position to do it for herself.  I was also allowed to stay with her in the hospital.  If I wasn't married to her, she would have had to try to explain her problems when she was in too much pain to think, and I would have had to wait at home, wondering what was going on.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on February 09, 2012, 11:31:28 PM

And if the affected person is unable to communicate?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, no matter how you feel about this sort of thing, ceremonies are important to domesticated primates.  They matter.  Some might argue that they shouldn't, but that doesn't change the nature of the beast.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also people give you a buttload of money and kitchen appliances.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 09, 2012, 11:57:48 PM

Usually only the first time around.   :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 09, 2012, 11:57:48 PM

Damn, all I got was a shitload of booze.  Said booze did, in fact, outlast the marriage.  I still have a bottle.  I intend to crack it after the divorce is final.

Do I get my toaster for the next wedding?