News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Rumors are flying on the Korean peninsula

Started by East Coast Hustle, February 11, 2012, 03:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Kim Jong Un assassinated, presumably in a coup d'etat backed by the generals?

Anybody got any hard intel on this?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Yeah, I heard the rumours too. Spread on Twitter, apparently, with most people expressing scepticism.

There have been more than normal rumours about a possible resistance in North Korea though.  Not necessarily armed, though I know if I were in a North Korean resistance group, I'd want as many weapons as possible.

Cain

OK, what we do know: lots of police were seen outside the DPRK Embassy in Beijing on Friday morning.

Users of the local Chinese equivalent of Twitter, Sina Weibo, were the first to pick it up, and spread from there onto actual Twitter and so to the world at large.

Some have speculated the police were extra security for Kim Jong Il's birthday, despite the old man being dead (still, his father remains President for Life of North Korea, so this is not unusual).

Rumckle

If Kim Jong Un is alive, wouldn't it be best for him to announce this fact, to ensure that no parties start some kind of action in an attempt to compete for a bit of potential power?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cain

That assumes North Korean authorities are even aware of the rumour.

I very much doubt many North Koreans even know what a social network is, let alone how it is facilitating the spread of this rumour.  Official channels, namely the Chinese government, are also going to only bring it up very sensitively and reluctantly, because if it is not true, it could start a similar rumour within North Korean ranks, which would not be good.

Equally, it could be that Kim Jong-Un is waiting to see who will react, and do something to tip their hand.  Finding out who your enemies are is quite a good idea, and by increasing uncertainty about his fate, he may cause some of them to act before they really should and expose themselves.

Rumckle

Quote from: Cain on February 13, 2012, 01:46:20 PM
That assumes North Korean authorities are even aware of the rumour.

I very much doubt many North Koreans even know what a social network is, let alone how it is facilitating the spread of this rumour.  Official channels, namely the Chinese government, are also going to only bring it up very sensitively and reluctantly, because if it is not true, it could start a similar rumour within North Korean ranks, which would not be good.

Hmm, I thought that since news websites reported it they would have at least some idea. But you make a fair point that the entire idea of a rumour spreading via social networks would be alien to many North Koreans.

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cramulus

Wolfgang Absolutus

Kim-jong un can stop bullets with his massive erection. No one could assassinate the great leader.
Thinking and Breathing are my main occupations.