Who wants to play a game? (Or: Humor Me, I'm Bored)

Started by Cuddlefish, February 12, 2012, 05:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

What's in Dimo's Box Of Mystery?

A WHOLE TON OF STUFF!

Just use your imagination! Think of a thing, reach in, and see if what you imagined was something that Dimo put in the Box Of Mystery!

WAIT! HERE'S SOME THINGS THAT I KNOW ABOUT FER' SHER'

There are rhymes and lyrics, but no syllables spoken.
There are practical jokes, but no funny pranks 
There is a quart of soup, but no spoons or clean bowls.
There is an opened grave, but no hole or body, or even a grave to open.
There are bottle openers, but no beers to drink.

What will be your guess?!?!

Just make sure that your guess is in any colored text, and the rest of the text is in black, so the box knows what you're guessing. You will get more hints every 10 guesses. You can make guesses however often you'd like.

BUT HERE'S THE THING!

After 50 guesses, the box will self destruct, taking us all out with it! (That's 50 total guesses, not 50 guesses each). Correct guesses don't count against you. If any player makes 5 correct guesses in a row, the group gets 5 more guesses and that player can no longer make guesses. But, for every post I make that contains a hint, that player may post a hint (in the form of an example correct answer) of their own.

THE GOAL IS FOR ALL PLAYERS TO MAKE IT OUT ALIVE!

(we're playing on the honor system, here. It is assumed that any player that has figured out the criteria for objects found in the Box Of Mystery will not PM, or otherwise privately exchange that information until the end of the game.)
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

DECI4

I don't know what you just said, but it touched me in the heart. :oops:
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
My-my-my-my music hits me so hard makes me say oh my Lord
Thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme and two hyped feet
It feels good when you know you're down
A superdope homeboy from the Oaktown
And I'm known as such
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

I told you homeboy u can't touch this
Yeah that's how we're livin' and you know u can't touch this
Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
You got it like that now you know you wanna dance
So move out of your seat
And get a fly girl and catch this beat
While it's rollin' hold on pump a little bit
And let me know it's going on like that like that
Cold on a mission so pull on back
Let 'em know that you're too much
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

Yo I told you u can't touch this
Why you standing there man u can't touch this
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

http://i.imgur.com/EiZZK.jpg

Triple Zero

If correct guesses don't count, you mean the box will self-destruct after 50 wrong guesses, right? So guesses that happen to be correct are free. [ok this sounds like the most dumb question ever, but the way you worded it wants me to make sure].

That's an important twist because falsification of wrong theories is as important as getting stuff right. Then again, getting things right is free, so maybe you can try make up for it in numbers.

as an example, I know this game as its played with numbers, and your examples are [4, 16, 128] one might guess the rule is "powers of two" and you could guess [2, 8, 32, 64, ..] etc and they'd all be right, while the actual rule is "even numbers".

otoh, if Dimo's rule is much narrower, we'd be falsifying stuff all the time anyhow.

oh and Dimo another question, I'm assuming we're allowed to discuss and reason about the game en publique in this thread, right? Wouldn't that mean that at some point the rule is pretty much out in the open to anyone who has read the thread? Which is fine with me but then I don't get the remark about honour and PMs :)

Or is what I'm doing right now not really allowed and should I limit myself to just single guesses, like:

Is there a cholera spray hose in the box?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

I'm not sure I get this.  Are the above things in your Box of Mystery hints of what the thing you're thinking of is, or examples of what could be inside?

Wolfgang Absolutus

Thinking and Breathing are my main occupations.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 12, 2012, 10:14:27 AM
If correct guesses don't count, you mean the box will self-destruct after 50 wrong guesses, right? So guesses that happen to be correct are free. [ok this sounds like the most dumb question ever, but the way you worded it wants me to make sure].

That's an important twist because falsification of wrong theories is as important as getting stuff right. Then again, getting things right is free, so maybe you can try make up for it in numbers.

as an example, I know this game as its played with numbers, and your examples are [4, 16, 128] one might guess the rule is "powers of two" and you could guess [2, 8, 32, 64, ..] etc and they'd all be right, while the actual rule is "even numbers".

otoh, if Dimo's rule is much narrower, we'd be falsifying stuff all the time anyhow.

oh and Dimo another question, I'm assuming we're allowed to discuss and reason about the game en publique in this thread, right? Wouldn't that mean that at some point the rule is pretty much out in the open to anyone who has read the thread? Which is fine with me but then I don't get the remark about honour and PMs :)

Or is what I'm doing right now not really allowed and should I limit myself to just single guesses, like:

Is there a cholera spray hose in the box?

Wow, ok, I knew I worded this a bit funny, but, hell... I didn't expect anyone to think that hard about it. But, yeah, limit posts to guesses, and if someone needs clarification on the above rules, you can help them out with that. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Anyhow, 49 guesses left.

And yes, 49 wrong guesses

Cuddlefish

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on February 12, 2012, 11:58:51 AM
I'm not sure I get this.  Are the above things in your Box of Mystery hints of what the thing you're thinking of is, or examples of what could be inside?

They are examples. Sorry. It was late when I started this  :oops:

Cuddlefish

Cramulus

I know you said there are rhymes and lyrics ---
are there lyrics and rhymes?

Cuddlefish

Nephew Twiddleton

I don't think that Trip's should count since he was using it as an example to figure out how to do the game rather than to actively make a guess.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Cramulus on February 12, 2012, 04:17:47 PM
I know you said there are rhymes and lyrics ---
are there lyrics and rhymes?

Yes, there are!

Still 47 guesses left.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 12, 2012, 04:19:13 PM
I don't think that Trip's should count since he was using it as an example to figure out how to do the game rather than to actively make a guess.

But that's exactly the purpose of making guesses...

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm still not sure that I get it. Are we supposed to be finding out about the examples you gave in the OP (ie, are we solving riddles about these examples) or are we trying to find out what else is inside the box?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS