News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

DuckDuckGo rolls the dice!

Started by Triple Zero, February 13, 2012, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Check it, query DuckDuckGo for roll 3d12+4 (just below the search input box, above the sponsored link)

It rolls dice for you!

It even supports irregular dice such as 3d19+7. It doesn't support multiple dice (yet) like 1d4+3d6+10

Checking the source code (because yes, DDG is open source) I discovered it also supports another strange format for dice rolling:

roll 4d6 - L

Which I first assumed would roll 4d6 and discard the lowest, like you sometimes do to generate stats for D&D characters, but instead it rolls 4d6, adds them except for the lowest, which it subtracts from the total. Try it out. There is also a format for 3d6-H which subtracts the highest value instead of adding it.

Anyone know what game system such dice rules are used for? I'm curious.

This is the distribution for 4d6-L:

0 |  0.0 %
1 |  0.0 %
2 |  0.1 %
3 |  0.3 %
4 |  0.9 % ==
5 |  1.9 % ====
6 |  3.5 % ========
7 |  5.9 % ==============
8 |  8.9 % ======================
9 | 12.1 % ==============================
10 | 14.6 % ====================================
11 | 15.8 % =======================================
12 | 14.7 % ====================================
13 | 10.8 % ==========================
14 |  6.2 % ===============
15 |  3.1 % =======
16 |  1.2 % ===
17 |  0.3 %
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.