News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Absurdism, the Cold War, and the Future

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, February 14, 2012, 05:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

This is going to turn into a fap thread, isn't it.  :roll:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 14, 2012, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 14, 2012, 06:15:38 PM
Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 14, 2012, 06:09:04 PM
Now I'm picturing something like "Persian Idol."

That would also probably help the Iranian government to maintain control and cut down on riots.
There's an Arab language Idol-type program, but they write poetry instead of singing. I can't remember much else about it, but they talked about it on NPR a while back.

Poetry's too cerebral. It's gotta be trite pop music. Trite pop music the contestant never even wrote.

Yep.  You don't want the audience thinking.  This is why there is no "America Loves Rudyard Kipling", but instead "America Loves Watching Simon Cowell Shit on People".
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 14, 2012, 06:21:45 PM
This is going to turn into a fap thread, isn't it.  :roll:

Yeah, I regretted that post the moment I hit the post button.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

kingyak

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 14, 2012, 06:06:48 PM
In fact, if we had a brain in our collective heads-of-state, we'd be tempting the Iranians with luxury goods, instead of slapping them with sanctions and saber-rattling.

Of course, getting the Iranians to cooperate is not precisely what our government's owners have in mnd.

That would also probably help the Iranian government to maintain control and cut down on riots.

Reminds me of the movie War, Inc.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

LMNO

Quote from: Billy the Twid on February 14, 2012, 06:20:35 PM
Quote from: Queen_Gogira on February 14, 2012, 06:15:38 PM

There's an Arab language Idol-type program, but they write poetry instead of singing. I can't remember much else about it, but they talked about it on NPR a while back.

Poetry's too cerebral. It's gotta be trite pop music. Trite pop music the contestant never even wrote.

So, lots of Rami and Khalil Gibran, then.

Elder Iptuous

it is my understanding that poetry actually is 'pop' in Iran.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on February 14, 2012, 07:15:12 PM
it is my understanding that poetry actually is 'pop' in Iran.

That puts them about 300 miles ahead of us, culturally.   :lulz:

Elder Iptuous

it really does.
it is my understanding that poetry is significant in their education.  not just like our nursery rhymes, but honest to go poetry.  all through schooling.  in their popular media.  in their religion. in their science.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on February 14, 2012, 07:30:04 PM
it really does.
it is my understanding that poetry is significant in their education.  not just like our nursery rhymes, but honest to go poetry.  all through schooling.  in their popular media.  in their religion. in their science.

In my father's day, you had to read Kipling, Frost, Service, etc.

When I was in grade school it was some shit about "A Poem As Lovely As A Tree", which was - I believe - specifically designed to KILL POETRY FOR YOU FOREVER, in the same manner that they KILLED SHAKESPEARE by ignoring Henry V and MacBeth in favor of that tripe, A Midsummer Night's Dream.

WHY WON'T JOHNNY READ?   :?

Elder Iptuous

I'd like to get an english translation of some Persian poetry.
you could push it on most people without them even realizing that Persian=Iranian, and if it was really awesome and accessible/universal, it could stick with them.
i imagine it's harder to dehumanize someone that you associate with good poetry.

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Good Reverend Roger

Juana

Quote from: Iptuous on February 14, 2012, 07:59:46 PM
you could push it on most people without them even realizing that Persian=Iranian, and if it was really awesome and accessible/universal, it could stick with them.
i imagine it's harder to dehumanize someone that you associate with good poetry.
I recommend Rumi. He writes a lot of (very lovely) love poetry, but also lots of not-strictly-about-love and sometimes bawdy poetry/sermon-y things. "Essential Rumi" translated by Coleman Barks and John Moyne is the best version I've found.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

East Coast Hustle

Au contraire. your revelations about how deeply poetry is ingrained in the fabric of Iranian culture has actually convinced me to join with the rabid wingnuts on the side of being in favor of dropping massive amounts of nuclear weapons on Iran.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on February 14, 2012, 11:59:49 PM
I recommend Rumi. He writes a lot of (very lovely) love poetry, but also lots of not-strictly-about-love and sometimes bawdy poetry/sermon-y things. "Essential Rumi" translated by Coleman Barks and John Moyne is the best version I've found.

I've been exposed to some selected bits of Rumi, some of it is really really amazing and beautiful. Didn't know he was Persian btw.

Hm, looking through my old collection of collected quotes I could only find one:

Intellectuals try not to drown, while the whole purpose of love is drowning.
- rumi
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.