News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Yet another awesome abandoned amusement park

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 01, 2012, 10:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Deepthroat Chopra

Wild how everything's just been left behind, in the middle of Berlin no less!

Was it built at a time when German's weren't actually that much into fun?
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

EK WAFFLR

I didn't realise Germans had been into fun, ever.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Waffle Iron on March 01, 2012, 11:22:47 PM

You should see the queues at the Scadenfraude theme park! There's this ride where you can laugh your head off at an old man dropping all his coins, then painfully stooping to pick each one up. The queues are even longer at the tent where doctors diagnose other people's diseases.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on March 01, 2012, 11:33:32 PM

You should see the queues at the Scadenfraude theme park! There's this ride where you can laugh your head off at an old man dropping all his coins, then painfully stooping to pick each one up. The queues are even longer at the tent where doctors diagnose other people's diseases.

Now THAT sounds like fun!
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Triple Zero

Whaaaat I was in Berlin a few years ago how come I didn't hear of this AT ALL! :D

Well I know why, I'm really bad at being a proper exploring tourist sightseer traveller because the simple thing of being in a completely new and unknown environment is already overwhelming enough that I'm usually already very content to find a great place to hang and chill the fuck out (Berlin has some great coffee shops with wifi, cheap beers, comfy couches in the smokers rooms and nice electronic music :D )

Still, I didn't just enjoy Berlin, I enjoyed the fuck out of that bratwurst. So much that I'm fairly sure that I'm going to go there again (especially since I know my way around a bit better now). And then I will check out this abandoned themepark.

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on March 01, 2012, 11:07:02 PMWild how everything's just been left behind, in the middle of Berlin no less!

Germany was split up into East and West Germany after WW2. The West part is Western, not at all that different from the Netherlands or Denmark. The East part had communism and was quite poor and I remember when I travelled there with my parents when I was young that some parts looked really quite desolate. With the stereotypical decaying concrete apartment buildings you might associate with communism.
Berlin is located in East Germany, but because it is the capital of Germany it was split into a West and East part, so the West part was kind of like a capitalist enclave in East Germany. I wonder what that must have been like (I was 9 when the Wall fell so I don't remember much except the one piece of concrete wall that was passed around in class, some girl got from her father who went there or something) (hell it might have been a fake, I know they sold enough of it, but the important bit is how that made it more real for 9 year old me).

ANYWAY

The point is, I'm 169% sure that this amusement park must be in the East part of Berlin and <abandoned desolate-looking whatever> was all the rage in Communist East Germany, for some reason.

Interesting thing is, btw, after we visited Berlin, we travelled for a couple of days through the rest (North-East, mostly) of East Germany, and it's not at all quite as desolate as I remember from when I was there as a kid (though I was somewhere completely different, probably the Northern coast), so it seems they're really picking up quite well.
Especially the country sides are beautiful, a lot like the flat wide open grasslands I grew up in, except Germany has a different style of water management (drainage to make sure reclaimed land doesn't get re-reclaimed by the sea/water), the Dutch dig ditches and the Germans, I'm not sure how they do (maybe underground pipes and pumps?) it but there's no ditches. Otherwise the landscape is pretty much identical.

You both (and everybody) should watch Goodbye Lenin if you haven't already :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 02, 2012, 12:19:58 AM
Whaaaat I was in Berlin a few years ago how come I didn't hear of this AT ALL! :D

Well I know why, I'm really bad at being a proper exploring tourist sightseer traveller because the simple thing of being in a completely new and unknown environment is already overwhelming enough that I'm usually already very content to find a great place to hang and chill the fuck out (Berlin has some great coffee shops with wifi, cheap beers, comfy couches in the smokers rooms and nice electronic music :D )

Still, I didn't just enjoy Berlin, I enjoyed the fuck out of that bratwurst. So much that I'm fairly sure that I'm going to go there again (especially since I know my way around a bit better now). And then I will check out this abandoned themepark.

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on March 01, 2012, 11:07:02 PMWild how everything's just been left behind, in the middle of Berlin no less!

Germany was split up into East and West Germany after WW2. The West part is Western, not at all that different from the Netherlands or Denmark. The East part had communism and was quite poor and I remember when I travelled there with my parents when I was young that some parts looked really quite desolate. With the stereotypical decaying concrete apartment buildings you might associate with communism.
Berlin is located in East Germany, but because it is the capital of Germany it was split into a West and East part, so the West part was kind of like a capitalist enclave in East Germany. I wonder what that must have been like (I was 9 when the Wall fell so I don't remember much except the one piece of concrete wall that was passed around in class, some girl got from her father who went there or something) (hell it might have been a fake, I know they sold enough of it, but the important bit is how that made it more real for 9 year old me).

ANYWAY

The point is, I'm 169% sure that this amusement park must be in the East part of Berlin and <abandoned desolate-looking whatever> was all the rage in Communist East Germany, for some reason.

Interesting thing is, btw, after we visited Berlin, we travelled for a couple of days through the rest (North-East, mostly) of East Germany, and it's not at all quite as desolate as I remember from when I was there as a kid (though I was somewhere completely different, probably the Northern coast), so it seems they're really picking up quite well.
Especially the country sides are beautiful, a lot like the flat wide open grasslands I grew up in, except Germany has a different style of water management (drainage to make sure reclaimed land doesn't get re-reclaimed by the sea/water), the Dutch dig ditches and the Germans, I'm not sure how they do (maybe underground pipes and pumps?) it but there's no ditches. Otherwise the landscape is pretty much identical.

You both (and everybody) should watch Goodbye Lenin if you haven't already :)

I've been meaning to watch it for some time. Perhaps my sense of reality has been upset that there really is a German comedy.

Triple Zero

Oh there is definitely German comedy. Goodbye Lenin, however, while funny enough, is most importantly just a damn good film that I can recommend pretty much anybody.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Random Probability

Hey!  That's where they filmed the ending of the movie Hannah.  Great flick, btw.  Sort of the same spirit as all the other fairy tale mash-ups like Freeway and what-not, only done to the tune of Peter and the Wolf.

East Coast Hustle

Loved that flick. And I was just saying to myself while reading this thread "hmm, I wonder if this is the same park the filmed the ending of Hannah in?" and then you answered the question for me without me even having to click the link.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"