News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System

Started by Telarus, February 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Quote from: nullified on May 01, 2019, 02:46:42 AM
I did some research into this, and it's going beyond the New Zealand thing. Apparently the recent shooter in California said PewDiePie had funded him.

Wait, do you have more info about this? How, why and by what ammount?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Once you get the Nazi poo on you, it never comes off.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: The Johnny on May 01, 2019, 03:10:11 AM
I did some research into this, and it's going beyond the New Zealand thing. Apparently the recent shooter in California said PewDiePie had funded him.

You fell for it. Not my "joke" or trap, though. See: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ignore-poway-synagogue-shooter-manifesto-pay-attention-to-8chan-pol-2019-4

Note the importance of "ignoring the manifesto". Note they fail to mention the specifics of the supposed "funding."

You asked the questions the shooter wanted you to ask, to make you look like an idiot who wants to crucify white men. I know better, you know better, but would the average dumbass know better if CNN or someone parroted this probable falsehood? That is the point.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

New theory: neo-Nazis are trying to craft a narrative that involves white men being unfairly targeted by governments around the world, using an idiot white man gamer as their rallying cry because he is a public figure and has already made himself a target by being an insensitive pile of dung.

It's interesting googling "pewdiepie white supremacy", as almost all of the articles and such are from the past couple months. There's two competing narratives going on (and a third just starting) and I think they do a great job illustrating the issue of telling "what he is".

First, you have the "unfairly targeted" narrative. Such luminaries as Infowars are the ones pushing this the loudest. It colors public perception by associating defense of him with fascist goons.

Second, you have the "burn him at the stake" narrative. What is interesting about this is who is pushing this one the loudest once you get past media outlets. It's mostly parents, worried because YouTube's recommendation algorithms have strapped racist bullshit to anyone who watches gaming focused videos.

Third, and literally brand spanking new: PewDiePie is a well meaning idiot. He publicly canceled the "subscribe" meme and specifically attached his action to the shootings in Christchurch. He is very, very, very slow to react to this stuff, but he's doing it.

Apparently he made music videos about the subscriber war and dropped some racist shit into those too. This is important because of two things: they got blocked by the Indian Supreme Court for the racism, and he said he was not going to contest this.

Yes, he still did the "I wasn't meaning to be racist, it was a joke" shit. But he made a decision which, while not the best decision (best decision would be to contest the block, get them unblocked, then remove them), is certainly a hell of a lot better than raising hell over him being so put upon by those liberals or SJWs or whatever.

Specifically, it shows he is capable of now expanding his understanding of how this shit is connected to white supremacist nonsense to other things he has done, and that might mean not fucking doing it anymore!

This is exactly what I was talking about in my response to LMNO, by the way. An actual Nazi wouldn't be worth the effort to change my mind on them. They chose to set themselves outside the human species, they can rot there, IMO. But this isn't the act of an ironic Nazi, this is the act of a dumb but well meaning fool. And I can respect him on that level now that he's showing a glimmer of self-awareness.

Thank you, you've done the research for this which I haven't but it confirms a lot of what I had only speculated. What worries me here is, who gains from this:
Media outlets get more clicks for contraversy so that covers off the vox and wsj, maybe this explains the sensationalist rumor of him funding that guy (even though pdp hasn't made fuck all money since last year). But the alt right racist contingent, what do they have to gain by associating pewdiepie with them, and for creating a persecution narrative...
It legitimises their concerns, it gives an identifiable smiley face to their "side", because lets be honest here, Alex Jones, CarlBenjamin/Sargon, the whole of the alt-right look like they are Josef Fritzl's kids with that same thousand yard stare that looks like he wants to skin you.

The longer this goes on, the more chance there is of pewdiepie publicly dissing them or taking steps to distance himself, they cant have that, it is in their interests for him never to be able to do that.
If I was to put on a tinfoil hat now and indulge in conspiracy, I would say his life is in danger because he would be a useful martyr but damaging if he is given enough time to distance himself.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

altered

Your tinfoil hat point is just realistic enough to  be genuinely frightening. Some mega-famous dork gets gunned down for not accidentally supporting Nazis with Internet memes anymore is a /sort of realistic future/.

I hate this fucking century.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Fujikoma

And the fun just started. Don't wimp out, we need horrified onlookers, otherwise the show itself is pointless.

The Johnny

Quote from: nullified on May 01, 2019, 06:45:50 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on May 01, 2019, 03:10:11 AM

You fell for it. Not my "joke" or trap, though. See: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/ignore-poway-synagogue-shooter-manifesto-pay-attention-to-8chan-pol-2019-4

Note the importance of "ignoring the manifesto". Note they fail to mention the specifics of the supposed "funding."

You asked the questions the shooter wanted you to ask, to make you look like an idiot who wants to crucify white men. I know better, you know better, but would the average dumbass know better if CNN or someone parroted this probable falsehood? That is the point.

Yeah, i guess i glossed over the "said" and thought of "was", within the context of the previous sentence that you were talking about you doing some research.

Next level problems start when people take claims at face value, like reading a headline of an article, making a fuzz about it and sharing it, without bothering to read it or fact check it.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

I try my best to make sure I'm not speaking from my rectum, unless it's something that demands to be said from the ass.

Yeah, it is super easy for people to pick up the tiny breadcrumbs they like in a google search, not even click the results, and get mad about it. The media is handling this right by not even barely mentioning any connection between PewDiePie and the San Diego shooting.

It's weird for me to say that because normally you want some balls in your journalists. The giant fucking introspection post I did earlier was me wrestling with just this issue. But it's patently obvious that everyone but the Nazis suffers if they publish any mention of that shit. There is no benefit to it.

The Johnny

I think the greatest courage a journalist can have nowadays is to SHUT UP in respect to their opinions when giving the news... i cant watch the TV news cause i cant distinguish between what actually happened and what the anchorman believes and is just their stupid reactionary opinion. That happens a lot in online news.

Another way they can be courageous is to fucking stop with the nonsense to raise their ratings with all the headlines and clickbait trash... and that applies to not headlining a false claim.

And its not even about censoring themselves and hiding "dangerous information" that the general citizenry is too stupid to understand, cause thats ruining the transparency and informing part of journalism and its condescending and paternalistic to the audience... its about presenting the information, fact-checking and presenting it in a non-confusing format.

(My statements are speaking in general about Mexican news outlets which may or may not reflect what happens in other countries)

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

The thing is that runs directly counter to what training and their editors tell them to do.

Journalists are told they need to create a narrative out of events, because if they just deliver facts, or even deliver a boring but factual analysis, people don't like it. There's a higher chance of a negative reaction to information presented outside of a narrative that may run counter to their beliefs and there is a lower level of engagement, ability to recall and interest in following up on it.

Even the deadly boring, highly analytic writing I do ("your law firm was not rated one of the top in the country because no-one knows who you are and you don't work on deals that break 8 figures") requires a narrative or else the editors get pissy because the readers get (more) pissy.

The Johnny

Maybe im being a hypocrite and a snob, but i seriously feel that kind of information transmission as intrusive... like an interpretation is forced down upon me, so to speak?

But even the selection of facts and data that is considered relevant to a given case (or what is ommited) is interpretation in itself, so even just giving a list of facts is deficient.

I dont wanna go on rambling, but by god, I hate the idea that news is nothing more than entertainment

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Well, it's more that the business of news is, unfortunately, a business. The economic incentives towards building a narrative collide with the economic incentives to push a story out as fast as possible. I prefer to leaving inferences to the reader, but seriously, I've been told more than once I have to both create an explicit narrative and create an explicit analysis, usually out of something so threadbare and potentially corrupted due to user error that its reliability is very much in doubt.

It's easy to monetize fiction, or stereotypes, or disingenuous lying. Deep drives on the truth are costly, and one of the reasons many newspapers have axed their investigative journalism arms over the years.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on May 01, 2019, 05:56:04 PM
The thing is that runs directly counter to what training and their editors tell them to do.

Journalists are told they need to create a narrative out of events, because if they just deliver facts, or even deliver a boring but factual analysis, people don't like it.

There needs to be some kind of regulation on this. Like a law saying that if they create a narrative they wouldn't be legally allowed to call it news without also having a big disclaimer informing the viewer that it's a bunch of bullshit
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

altered

Hey remember when I said PewDiePie wasn't a Nazi probably?

The Nazis are hoping to fix that right up! And so far doing a tremendous job.

https://apple.news/ANu2Ousz6RcewaQzrk5y2SA

Cain

Yeah, for a moment there I was like "wow, maybe he isn't completely trash."

And then he went and ruined it.