News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System

Started by Telarus, February 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The New York Times had coverage from around the 13th.  The NY Post from the 11th.  Same for HuffPo.

The thing is, and you have to remember this, the area has been declared a "frozen zone".  That means, no media allowed inside.  The media cannot report on what they cannot see, unless you're into FOX News style "reporting".  Of course, they could report that they are not allowed inside the frozen zone, and the events that led up to it...but such hopes may involve unrealistic expectations.

Anna Mae Bollocks

People are speculating that they're going to use drones.
You know, the way people speculate when there's a media blackout.  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

This is some of the most impressive media blackout-ing I've seen in a while.

Pergamos

Quote from: stelz on March 15, 2013, 05:25:43 PM

Personally I'd like to see the media using drones.  Media blackouts are unconstitutional, at least for political reasons they are, which this definitely is.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Pergamos on March 15, 2013, 06:21:11 PM
Quote from: stelz on March 15, 2013, 05:25:43 PM

Personally I'd like to see the media using drones.  Media blackouts are unconstitutional, at least for political reasons they are, which this definitely is.

now you're talking...Drones + 4th Gen Google Street view cameras = law enforcement accountability?  maybe??

Cain

Isn't it illegal to film police officers in most places?

LMNO

Bu🤠ns

IOW, it IS protected by the First Amendment but not really.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Should we start a letter-writing campaign or something? A Facebook meme at least? I mean, WTF is going on, here.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

If we're just trying to get people to notice, a meme would be the best option.  I've already tried bringing it up on my FB feed, but some snazzy images might be helpful, too.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 15, 2013, 07:25:51 PM
If we're just trying to get people to notice, a meme would be the best option.  I've already tried bringing it up on my FB feed, but some snazzy images might be helpful, too.

Yeah, I think getting people to notice, and maybe ask questions, is a good idea.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, an unarmed 16-year-old black kid gets shot by a Hispanic homeowner in a Florida suburb and it's all over the media everywhere for months...but an unarmed 16-year-old black kid gets shot by police in Flatbush, there are riots, and the media isn't saying much.

Interesting.

Junkenstein

All of this makes me think a hacked version of the 5/6th gen of google glass or the equivalent is pretty much going to be a mandatory purpose just in case of shit like this.

On filming police, I thought most "democracies" allow it, those being filmed somewhat less so. Highly dependent on the person being filmed and the events being filmed. Most situations will probably result in a request to stop filming, I've never actually physically been prevented from it, only verbal. I have however, witnessed filming being prevented and cameras removed during the Manchester Anti-Iraq war marches (2000/2001?). Which was unfortunate given some surrounding events.

Your local arbiters of justice may and will vary is the point of that useless anecdote.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 15, 2013, 08:02:40 PM
I mean, an unarmed 16-year-old black kid gets shot by a Hispanic homeowner in a Florida suburb and it's all over the media everywhere for months...but an unarmed 16-year-old black kid gets shot by police in Flatbush, there are riots, and the media isn't saying much.

Interesting.

Outside lunacy- The fear of copycat youth riots, not unlike the UK a short while ago?

Surely not?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

McGrupp

This is very messed up. I've been posting a few things on facebook yesterday and today and trying to ask some old college buddys who I'm facebook friends with that live in New York if they know anything.