News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System

Started by Telarus, February 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 24, 2014, 11:55:28 PM
Someone kills people with a car.  Ergo guns are bad.

:lulz:
Inaccurate, no one was killed in that story.

Not that that matters, it is still  :lulz:
I'm sure there are thousands of stories about people not killed by a crazy man with a gun, ergo cars should be banned?
I dunno. their kind of logic confuses me.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Random Probability

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Is the Senate Intelligence Oversight Committee finally starting to remember why the Church and Pike Commissions occured?  Are they finally realising that when you let a wild dog off the leash, it's just as likely to end up biting you as your enemies?

I mean, it's not like the CIA hasn't been doing this to Gitmo defense lawyers for years.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

It gets better:

QuoteA leading US senator has said that President Obama knew of an "unprecedented action" taken by the CIA against the Senate intelligence committee, which has apparently prompted an inspector general's inquiry at Langley.

The subtle reference in a Tuesday letter from Senator Mark Udall to Obama, seeking to enlist the president's help in declassifying a 6,300-page inquiry by the committee into torture carried out by CIA interrogators after 9/11, threatens to plunge the White House into a battle between the agency and its Senate overseers.

So this isn't the CIA being a rogue agency, necessarily.  This is the CIA serving the executive...by treating the Senate as the enemy.

If Udall's right, this is well into Nixonian territory. 

LMNO

It's simply that Obama is really committed to taking the idea of "separation of powers" to its logical conclusion.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Some Daniel Hopsicker in the morning:

http://www.madcowprod.com/2014/03/06/christian-cult-leader-worked-tampa-black-ice-operation/#rssowlmlink

QuoteDouglas Aaron McClain Sr., 62, whose Argyll Equities was a shady and now-bankrupt "investment bank" in Boerne Texas which provided services to at least three drug smuggling operations, including supplying a DC-9 to a very-possibly criminal Tampa-based ICE-HSI drug operation, is awaiting trial on charges of defrauding a 74-year-old neuro-psychiatrist paralyzed in a motorcycle accident several years ago.

An investigation into McClain's past has uncovered overwhelming evidence that he is a career financial criminal, who has sometimes rubbed elbows in fraudulent operations with famous and near-famous names, including Jimmy Carter Administration official Bert Lance, and, more surprisingly, Chip Carter.   

Moreover, during the 1970's and 1980's, McClain was one of the leaders of a bizarre Christian cult which grew to more than 10,000 members living on farms and ranches in wilderness areas on three separate continents, including remote corners of Colombia, Peru, and Guatemala.

According to an account in the New York Times, the cult—in which McClain was active for a decade and maintained cordial relations afterwards— also owned its own fleet of planes. 

Quote"We were ready to charge him back in 2008," said the retired detective in a recent phone interview.  "Then the local office of the FBI got involved. Everything we had, the Feds just kind of adopted as their own, and then took it over."

"And when we'd ask what they were doing with it, they'd say, oh, we still have it.' But that would be it. If I pressed them they'd get sort of deliberately vague. We worked a lot of cases with the Feds. I knew these guys personally, but they would not talk about  it."

"It wasn't normal. It was just very surprising to me," he stated. "I'm shocked that its taken so long to bring criminal charges against this guy."

Cain

And while I'm here, this is an interesting story about how Hollywood helped propagandize nuclear weapons:

http://whowhatwhy.com/2014/03/09/bombing-hiroshima-got-hollywood-makeover/

QuoteThe Beginning or the End, which billed itself as "basically a true story," opened across the country in March 1947 to mixed reviews. Time laughed at the film's "cheery imbecility," but Variety praised its "aura of authenticity and special historical significance." Bosley Crowther, the New York Times critic, applauded its handling of the moral issues in portraying the "necessary evil" of the atomic attacks.

On the other hand, Harrison Brown, who had worked on the bomb, exposed some of the film's factual errors in The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists. He called the claim that warning leaflets had been showered on Hiroshima the "most horrible falsification of history."

Physicist Leo Szilard knew what violence had been done to the truth. He summed it up this way: "If our sin as scientists was to make and use the bomb, then our punishment was to watch The Beginning or the End."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Andrew "Weev" Auernheimer has been in solitary confinement for tweeting from prison.

QuoteI am disgusted to have to write an actual paper letter but they took away all my electronic comms methods and put me in the special housing unit where I am under 24/7 lockdown. All this for the high crime of blogging, despite nation B.O.P. [Federal Bureau of Prisons] officials having made public statements that what I was doing wasn't against the rules[...]

It has been a week of this and I feel completely alone and abandoned. I don't even have my loved ones or attorney's address (they took most of my papers and I happened to have your address on a property slip they didn't toss). and am unsure when or if anyone will find out about my situation.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/13/hacker-andrew-auernheimer-placed-in-solitary-confinement-for-tweeting-from-prison/

The prosecutor who put him in prison admitted that he doesn't even know what Weev did. Listen to this shit:

QuoteWe have a case here where...[the defense counsel] is arguing that this was completely open to everyone. But you look at the testimony of Daniel Spitler and the steps he had to take to get to this wide open Web and I'm flabbergasted that this could be called anything other than a hack. He had to download the entire iOS system on his computer. He had to decrypt it. He had to do all sorts of things—I don't even understand what they are.

:lulz:

So what did Weev actually do?

Quote"The 'flaw' in AT&T's system was they put material on a public web server with no password, where there is an implicit license to access it," he told me. "They put it on the library bookshelf. There was no unauthorized access, this material was available to anyone willing to type in a URL in an address bar. There was no 'exploitation.'" He added, "I could have taken that list and made a shitton of money off of it, or had a botnet of a couple hundred thousand iPads. Instead I did the right thing. Like everyone that does the right thing in America, I was punished for it."

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/no-more-lulz-should-weev-the-world-s-most-notorious-troll-go-to-jail-for-hacking

Almost forgot to add, that Weev wasn't allowed to attend his own appeal.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

whenhellfreezes

Obama doesn't know what hes doing. Not dealing with holder, selectively choosing which laws to enforce etc. Our courts are out of control and the judges don't know computers.

Computers are just so damn complex and those who don't understand the human element of things are more likely to be good at computing. Women in IT would be nice though its currently infested with creeps and so nobody feels like cleaning house.

The Good Reverend Roger