News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System

Started by Telarus, February 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

And another great one for this thread today.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/10/azelle-rodney-met-police-officer-fired-eight-shots-at-close-range-court-told

QuoteA Metropolitan police firearms officer murdered a suspect by firing a rapid volley of eight shots from close range, including two that struck the man in the top of his head, a jury has heard.
The jury was told by Hill: "The prosecution say that it was not necessary for Mr Long to open fire upon the Golf and Azelle Rodney. Therefore, we say Mr Long was not acting lawfully when he opened fire.

"That being so, Mr Long's actions in deliberately killing Azelle Rodney when it was not necessary to do so make Mr Long guilty of murder."

The prosecutor told the 12 jurors that they would "need to consider very carefully the actions of Mr Long and the events surrounding the moment when he pulled the trigger and opened fire".

The court heard that a video of the shooting exists because a police officer in a car just behind Long's vehicle made a recording of the incident for "training purposes".

The officer who made the video can be heard saying "we're going in" as police started the manoeuvre to force Rodney's car to stop.

The shots fired by Long are not captured on the video. But the jury heard the soundtrack captured the eight rapid gunshots.

The officer who was recording the video can be heard saying "sweet as, sweet as," as the shots are fired. The shots lasted about two seconds, according to the recording.

I don't think there's much I can add to that.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on June 10, 2015, 01:13:57 PM
And another great one for this thread today.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/10/azelle-rodney-met-police-officer-fired-eight-shots-at-close-range-court-told

QuoteA Metropolitan police firearms officer murdered a suspect by firing a rapid volley of eight shots from close range, including two that struck the man in the top of his head, a jury has heard.
The jury was told by Hill: "The prosecution say that it was not necessary for Mr Long to open fire upon the Golf and Azelle Rodney. Therefore, we say Mr Long was not acting lawfully when he opened fire.

"That being so, Mr Long's actions in deliberately killing Azelle Rodney when it was not necessary to do so make Mr Long guilty of murder."

The prosecutor told the 12 jurors that they would "need to consider very carefully the actions of Mr Long and the events surrounding the moment when he pulled the trigger and opened fire".

The court heard that a video of the shooting exists because a police officer in a car just behind Long's vehicle made a recording of the incident for "training purposes".

The officer who made the video can be heard saying "we're going in" as police started the manoeuvre to force Rodney's car to stop.

The shots fired by Long are not captured on the video. But the jury heard the soundtrack captured the eight rapid gunshots.

The officer who was recording the video can be heard saying "sweet as, sweet as," as the shots are fired. The shots lasted about two seconds, according to the recording.

I don't think there's much I can add to that.

What's different here is that the officer is being prosecuted for murder.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall a past where that was a thing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Demolition Squid

True! That is a positive step.

I just found the training video guy going 'sweet as' as the poor bastard got blown away particularly horrifying - even if he was an armed murderer and it would have been justified, I'd like the police not to be jeering as they gun down criminals.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition Squid on June 10, 2015, 04:03:04 PM

I just found the training video guy going 'sweet as' as the poor bastard got blown away particularly horrifying - even if he was an armed murderer and it would have been justified, I'd like the police not to be jeering as they gun down criminals.

You can tell shit is just wrong as fuck when they're excited about killing people.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev Thwack

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 10, 2015, 04:13:59 PM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on June 10, 2015, 04:03:04 PM

You can tell shit is just wrong as fuck when they're excited about killing people.

You'd kind of hope that the people charged with protecting the lives of citizens actually consider those lives to be of value.

You'd hope, but you'd be wrong.
My balls itch...

Junkenstein

I've got a feeling this thread will be quite useful in the foreseeable future.

For a start, there's all of these:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=37471.0

Quite possibly the greatest success and failure of the two man con to date.

Secondly, there's been more "Police shooting unarmed guy" stories than I can name with the usual lack of consequences in most cases. Escalation seems inevitable there.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 09, 2016, 03:48:27 PM

This election season has been the epitome of the two man con. If Trump was indeed a plant seeded by the DNC to have someone 'unelectable' run against Hilary then it's just more hilarious. Either way, both candidates were unlikable and ultimately probably controlled by unknown powers.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

Quote from: Xaz on November 09, 2016, 04:25:11 PM

This election season has been the epitome of the two man con. If Trump was indeed a plant seeded by the DNC to have someone 'unelectable' run against Hilary then it's just more hilarious. Either way, both candidates were unlikable and ultimately probably controlled by unknown powers.

He was indeed. This has been proven by Wikileaks.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Secondly, there's been more "Police shooting unarmed guy" stories than I can name with the usual lack of consequences in most cases. Escalation seems inevitable there.

Oh yes. I am thinking riots. Bigger riots. Probably enough to get the extremists talking about race war.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 10, 2016, 07:22:20 AM

Oh yes. I am thinking riots. Bigger riots. Probably enough to get the extremists talking about race war.

"If there are more riots the extremists who arent rioting might make tweets from their moms basement about a race war. Extremely."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So this is a thing now

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/alt-right-social-network-fake-news-232398
QuoteThe new social media website that is a growing platform for adherents of the "Alt-Right" movement dominated by white nationalists vows to never censor content based on whether it is true or false, asserting its expanding user base in the United States and abroad can decide for themselves what is fake news.

Two of the key architects of Gab, which was launched this summer out of concern that Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and other "Big Social" sites were stifling conservative political discourse, told POLITICO their guiding principles of free speech and expression mean they don't have a responsibility to ensure claims that are made and spread on their website are accurate.

:lulz: I bet that's about all they won't censor.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 09, 2016, 02:59:55 AM
So this is a thing now

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/alt-right-social-network-fake-news-232398
QuoteThe new social media website that is a growing platform for adherents of the "Alt-Right" movement dominated by white nationalists vows to never censor content based on whether it is true or false, asserting its expanding user base in the United States and abroad can decide for themselves what is fake news.

Two of the key architects of Gab, which was launched this summer out of concern that Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and other "Big Social" sites were stifling conservative political discourse, told POLITICO their guiding principles of free speech and expression mean they don't have a responsibility to ensure claims that are made and spread on their website are accurate.

:lulz: I bet that's about all they won't censor.

Lol this is some crazy disinfo. Gab was originally a twitter clone that sold itself on having more than 140 characters per tweet. Alt-Right started going to it after Twitter cracked down on them because Gab has a no censorship policy, which has now become the primary selling point. Actually check it once, theyre serious about no censorship.

Youre all getting that Ministry of Truth you want so much.

http://www.portman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=3765A225-B773-4F57-B21A-A265F4B5692C

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senators Rob Portman (R-OH) and Chris Murphy (D-CT) today announced that their Countering Disinformation and Propaganda Act – legislation designed to help American allies counter foreign government propaganda from Russia, China, and other nations – has passed the Senate as part of the FY 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) Conference Report. The bipartisan bill, which was introduced by Senators Portman and Murphy in March, will improve the ability of the United States to counter foreign propaganda and disinformation by establishing an interagency center housed at the State Department to coordinate and synchronize counter-propaganda efforts throughout the U.S. government. To support these efforts, the bill also creates a grant program for NGOs, think tanks, civil society and other experts outside government who are engaged in counter-propaganda related work. This will better leverage existing expertise and empower local communities to defend themselves from foreign manipulation.

"The passage of this bill in the Senate today takes us one critical step closer to effectively confronting the extensive, and destabilizing, foreign propaganda and disinformation operations being waged against us. While the propaganda and disinformation threat has grown, the U.S. government has been asleep at the wheel. Today we are finally signaling that enough is enough; the United States will no longer sit on the sidelines. We are going to confront this threat head-on," said Senator Portman. "With the help of this bipartisan bill, the disinformation and propaganda used against our allies and our interests will fail."

"Congress has taken a big step in fighting back against fake news and propaganda from countries like Russia. When the president signs this bill into law, the United States will finally have a dedicated set of tools and resources to confront our adversaries' widespread efforts to spread false narratives that undermine democratic institutions and compromise America's foreign policy goals," said Murphy. "I'm proud of what Senator Portman and I accomplished here because it's long past time for the U.S. to get off the sidelines and confront these growing threats."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel