News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

News Stories Which Highlight the Structure of the System

Started by Telarus, February 16, 2012, 01:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Yup. Shin Bet has always been authorised to use "harsh interrogation tactics" against Palestinians, despite torture being technically against the law. The AG can approve them, and most in the Israeli security services aren't going to object in the first place.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2020, 09:31:26 PM
If there was ever a time to buy stock with the long haul in mind, it's right now.

https://apnews.com/2a1a0f6cb7f593fc79467f4ead2aa3e4
Part of me is drooling over the deliciously low P/E ratios, but my gut says the market is still overvalued, and is going to see further drops in the next few months.

But my gut is wrong about half the time when it comes to the market, and when it's right, it's usually for the wrong reasons.

So...uh....buy some now, more later?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

From what I have heard, the right move for long haul stock investment is to just budget a portion of your income as "investment money", and just buy a fixed dollar value of stocks every paycheck. You lose some on what you buy during market highs, but after a few years you're flush from all the stuff you got at market lows. Reinvest dividends always.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, it's just what I have heard. Oh, right, it only works with really diverse portfolios, so maybe do it with an ETF or something.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 25, 2020, 03:25:04 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2020, 09:31:26 PM
If there was ever a time to buy stock with the long haul in mind, it's right now.

https://apnews.com/2a1a0f6cb7f593fc79467f4ead2aa3e4
Part of me is drooling over the deliciously low P/E ratios, but my gut says the market is still overvalued, and is going to see further drops in the next few months.

But my gut is wrong about half the time when it comes to the market, and when it's right, it's usually for the wrong reasons.

So...uh....buy some now, more later?

The market isn't over-valued, certain stocks are over-valued.  Some tech stocks are good, and a lot of those are down right now.

And ammunition is always a safe bet, *especially* when production is hampered.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: altered on February 25, 2020, 05:23:05 PM
From what I have heard, the right move for long haul stock investment is to just budget a portion of your income as "investment money", and just buy a fixed dollar value of stocks every paycheck. You lose some on what you buy during market highs, but after a few years you're flush from all the stuff you got at market lows. Reinvest dividends always.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, it's just what I have heard. Oh, right, it only works with really diverse portfolios, so maybe do it with an ETF or something.

Dollar-cost averaging seems to be well-respected, as far as passive investing goes.  In theory you can do better, but hardly anyone ever does.

I do a little 'active' investing in large cap stocks that I think will do well, but not with money that I'd miss too much.  Much of the rest is in ETFs, of various flavors.

LMNO

altered

https://twitter.com/themittani/status/1232400478421516288?s=21

Not news, but it's jibing with what a lot of my in the know friends are saying, and that last article.

You could make big bucks by buying a derelict factory and setting up a doomed to failure manufacturing scheme for basic modern necessities: your nation of choice will pay you the sun and the moon for them, then when China realizes it's basically a second and less diverse flu virus, you cash out and watch it implode or change tack entirely.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: altered on February 26, 2020, 12:35:09 AM
You could make big bucks by buying a derelict factory and setting up a doomed to failure manufacturing scheme for basic modern necessities: your nation of choice will pay you the sun and the moon for them, then when China realizes it's basically a second and less diverse flu virus, you cash out and watch it implode or change tack entirely.
You had me at "derelict factory".

altered

Doktor Howl

QuoteIn the past year alone, Thomas has advocated overruling Roe v. Wade, the court's landmark abortion rights decision; New York Times v. Sullivan, its defense of press freedom; and Gideon v. Wainwright, guaranteeing a lawyer to indigent defendants.

https://apnews.com/7205c8b226eec00fb440f21687b44bbc
Molon Lube

Cain

QuoteNew York Times v. Sullivan, its defense of press freedom

Ah, Trump has said for a while now that they're going to "look at" freedom of speech, I suppose this would be the way to do it without a constitutional convention.

Pergamos

Quote from: altered on February 25, 2020, 05:23:05 PM

Index fund.  The market always goes up in the long term.

Juana

Imagine an Internet where the law required every message sent to be read by government-approved scanning software. Companies that handle such messages wouldn't be allowed to securely encrypt them, or they'd lose legal protections that allow them to operate.The EARN IT Bill Is the Government's Plan to Scan Every Message Online
QuoteImagine an Internet where the law required every message sent to be read by government-approved scanning software. Companies that handle such messages wouldn't be allowed to securely encrypt them, or they'd lose legal protections that allow them to operate.

That's what the Senate Judiciary Committee has proposed and hopes to pass into law. The so-called EARN IT bill, sponsored by Senators Lindsay Graham (R-GA) and Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), will strip Section 230 protections away from any website that doesn't follow a list of "best practices," meaning those sites can be sued into bankruptcy. The "best practices" list will be created by a government commission, headed by Attorney General Barr, who has made it very clear he would like to ban encryption, and guarantee law enforcement "legal access" to any digital message.

This is fun. :horrormirth:
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."