News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Suicide nets and robotic slave drivers?

Started by Oysters Rockefeller, February 20, 2012, 04:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oysters Rockefeller

This is kind of crazy. I mean, a lot if it probably isn't too far outside the norm for worker treatment in a bunch of countries, but this is too surreal and ugly not to be noteworthy.

http://news.yahoo.com/trip-ifactory-nightline-gets-unprecedented-glimpse-inside-apples-001926196--abc-news.html

Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Oysters Rockefeller

Best part is when an executive says "...Of course you can argue that we should have opened up five years ago. Well five years ago, we are under the radar screen, nobody really knows us, we are doing well. Why should I open it up?"
Which seems to translate to "Why worry about it if nobody has yelled at us?"
----------------------
----------------------

Elder Iptuous

all this talk about unfairness towards the employees of this company will soon be moot, as they are going to be producing one million assembly line robots to work with (read: replace) the employees that we are concerned about....

i did find it interesting that TFA said the suicide rate at foxconn when they had that burst that garnered news attention is well below the chinese population average.  that was a stat i had not heard during the news flurry.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on February 20, 2012, 04:51:32 PM
This is kind of crazy. I mean, a lot if it probably isn't too far outside the norm for worker treatment in a bunch of countries, but this is too surreal and ugly not to be noteworthy.

http://news.yahoo.com/trip-ifactory-nightline-gets-unprecedented-glimpse-inside-apples-001926196--abc-news.html

At least two major airlines use transponders in their office worker's ID badges which send a signal to their supervisor if they're away from their desk too long.

So I'm not surprised at this.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Oysters Rockefeller

That actually is really interesting. And clearly should be taken into account, since that place has the population of Orlando.
I think the thing that makes the suicides suspicious (which seems like a ridiculous way to start a sentence) is the fact that some of them were done in groups. I don't really know what the stats are regarding how often that happens, but it's got to be pretty rare, right?
----------------------
----------------------

Oysters Rockefeller

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2012, 05:18:00 PM

At least two major airlines use transponders in their office worker's ID badges which send a signal to their supervisor if they're away from their desk too long.

Wow. I'm torn between thinking "And they still go to work?!" and knowing that assuming all of them would just quit is a bit ignorant.
----------------------
----------------------

The Good Reverend Roger

Interesting note:  The right wing & the libertarians would appreciate it, apparently, if we'd be more accomodating to the bottom line, as these workers are.

Welcome to hell, kids.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on February 20, 2012, 05:24:41 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2012, 05:18:00 PM

Wow. I'm torn between thinking "And they still go to work?!" and knowing that assuming all of them would just quit is a bit ignorant.

Humans can rationalize any amount of tyranny inflicted upon them.

Oysters Rockefeller

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2012, 05:26:08 PM

Interesting note:  The right wing & the libertarians would appreciate it, apparently, if we'd be more accomodating to the bottom line, as these workers are.

Welcome to hell, kids.   :lulz:

related: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/trainingf.jpg/

Might change that to "Obedience is for dogs"
----------------------
----------------------

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on February 20, 2012, 06:01:34 PM

related: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/trainingf.jpg

Might change that to "Obedience is for dogs"

I'd say that makes me "a carnivore that gets fed without ever having to hunt."
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Oysters Rockefeller

Yeah, but it's all dry food. Eeeewwww

and dog sweaters.
----------------------
----------------------

Placid Dingo

Been some buzz around this.

First in the Financial Review which praised the high quality of Foxxcons plants.

But then I also got a campaign email from activist group Getup.

QuoteDear Xxxxxxx,

Whether or not you're an Apple user, it is hard to deny that the brand has revolutionised information technology. Apple is the biggest company in the world, and the millions of people who buy iPhones and iPads make Apple's investors very rich -- in January they announced a record-breaking 44.1% profit for last quarter and are sitting on $100 billion in cash.

But the success of Apple comes at a terrible cost - shocking details have emerged about the conditions under which iPhones and iPads are manufactured, with a rising count of employees dying from suicide, exhaustion and explosions. [1][2]

Foxconn, Apple's largest supplier, has almost 1 million employees. A typical employee might rise before dawn in a massive dormitory, and work in silence for more than 12 hours a day, six days a week with forced overtime. Deadly explosions rock iPad factories but are easily preventable with proper ventilation, and repetitive motion wears away their joints until they can no longer function. Management have even installed nets around buildings due to the number of suicide attempts and threats.

Apple can do better - a lot better - and the only thing that will make them demand higher working standards from suppliers is public outcry. This Thursday, Apple will hold their shareholders' Annual General Meeting (AGM) and SumOfUs, a new global movement that campaigns to hold corporations to account, will be there to deliver a petition to the new CEO. Let's add our voices to the global call for reform - sign the petition now.

http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/workers-rights/apple/sign-the-petition

Working conditions are terrible for the people who make, by hand, each and every gadget Apple sells. In extreme cases, people are literally dying while doing their jobs. Reporters have documented cases of deadly explosions at iPad factories, and instances of workers dying of exhaustion after working thirty-plus hour shifts.

Apple knows this is going on, and according to an anonymous Apple executive quoted in the New York Times "suppliers would change everything tomorrow if Apple told them they didn't have another choice." But Apple hasn't demanded better treatment of their workers because they believe that "customers care more about a new iPhone than working conditions in China".[3]

Australia's smartphone market is a tight competition between iPhone and Android phones - what Australians think about Apple matters to them.[4] This Thursday, as the world watches Apple and its top executives and shareholders, corporate campaigning organisation SumOfUs will present petition signatures gathered from all over the world demanding safe working conditions for Apple employees. It's now up to our Australian movement to keep the pressure on Apple and let them know Australians care about the lives of workers - wherever they are.

Safe working conditions and workers' rights shouldn't be a choice. Sign the petition calling on Apple to make the next iPhone its first ethically made product:

http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/workers-rights/apple/sign-the-petition

Apple is known for demanding the highest quality products. They should also demand the highest quality working conditions for those who make their products.

Thanks for all that you do,
The GetUp team.

PS - At this Thursday's AGM Apple will celebrate its most successful year yet. If we join with the growing international movement calling for reform, led by SumOfUs, we can make it the day Apple celebrates not only their profits but doing the right thing for their workers. Sign the petition asking Apple not to put profits before the lives of people who make their products: http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/workers-rights/apple/sign-the-petition

[1] 'Foxconn Worker Dies in the Bath After Working 60 Hours a Week', MIC gadget, 30/06/2011
[2] 'In China, Human Costs Are Built Into an iPad', New York Times, 25/01/2012
[3] Ibid.
[4] 'Apple and Android in smartphone photo finish', Sydney Morning Herald, 21/12/2011

GetUp is an independent, not-for-profit community campaigning group. We use new technology to empower Australians to have their say on important national issues. We receive no political party or government funding, and every campaign we run is entirely supported by voluntary donations. If you'd like to contribute to help fund GetUp's work, please donate now! If you have trouble with any links in this email, please go directly to www.getup.org.au. To unsubscribe from GetUp, please click here. Authorised by Simon Sheikh, Level 5, 116 Kippax St, Surry Hills NSW 2010 
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Oysters Rockefeller

Makes you wonder if financial review is full of shit, or if the activists are blowing things out of proportion. I'd like to say it's obviously some corporate nonsense on the side of financial review, but it isn't like I don't have a bias. Then again, something shitty could be nice depending on what you consider important. Maybe FR is looking at medical stations, or cleanliness.
----------------------
----------------------

Golden Applesauce

I have a hard time seeing "deadly but preventable explosions on a regular basis."  Maybe it's because I think in terms of movie-style explosions, but anything at least the size of a grenade should seriously snarl production for a while.  Meaning that preventative measures would be cost effective and therefore put into place.

ETA: WRT the "suicide nets", it's better than the alternative, isn't it?  I don't know whether Apple's Chinese suicide rate is above or below the average in their area (in particular, whether it's above or below average for employed persons), but any place where people semi-regularly jump from buildings some kind of preventative measure is a good idea.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on February 21, 2012, 01:53:18 AM
I have a hard time seeing "deadly but preventable explosions on a regular basis."  Maybe it's because I think in terms of movie-style explosions, but anything at least the size of a grenade should seriously snarl production for a while.  Meaning that preventative measures would be cost effective and therefore put into place.

Most industrial explosions are very small affairs.  Just enough to propel shiny little jagged pieces of metal through people.