News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Run Portland

Started by Roly Poly Oly-Garch, February 21, 2012, 10:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

The rabble?

I thought we were the rabble.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 12, 2012, 07:57:43 PM
It's not frivolous, PDX has more breweries than any other city in America.

More, in fact, than the entire STATE of Colorado. And seriously, New Belgian's best beer would be middle-of-the-road fare in Portland. And that's coming from someone who really likes most of New Belgian's beers.

Totally true. :lulz: Fat Tire is what I buy when I can't spring for fancy beer. It's totally reliable and almost always under eight bucks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on March 12, 2012, 08:16:15 PM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 12, 2012, 07:57:43 PM
It's not frivolous, PDX has more breweries than any other city in America.

More, in fact, than the entire STATE of Colorado. And seriously, New Belgian's best beer would be middle-of-the-road fare in Portland. And that's coming from someone who really likes most of New Belgian's beers.

Totally true. :lulz: Fat Tire is what I buy when I can't spring for fancy beer. It's totally reliable and almost always under eight bucks.

Fat Tire is the cheapest beer that's actual beer, at least around here.

If you go cheaper than that, you're into Coors Lite territory, which isn't beer at all, it's some Lake Michigan water that was run through a cow and sent directly to your grocery store.
Molon Lube

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Well, I'm not looking to the Nugget's to be outpacing the Blazer's this season either...but that doesn't mean the shit-talk will be any less fun.

New Belgium is much more well known outside of FoCo, but O'Dell's and FCB beers are generally more highly regarded in town. Biere De Mars and Somersault are the only New Belgium beers that are even on my short list, and those are only seasonal. I'm going to miss 90 Schilling from O'Dell's, something awful. And I am absolutely loving Milk Stout from Left Hand down in Longmont. Might come across O'Dell's at the right store. Left Hand, I'll probably have to write off.

Performed in Ashland a few years back and actually had Sunshine and Fat Tire there. Definitely did not taste the same. I suspect I'll be drinking local wherever the hell I find myself. There's no beating freshness. The other lesson I took from drinking in Ashland, Des Moines, Southern California, etc... That myth about how elevation effects tolerance...not so much a myth. A fishbowl marg at 5-6000 ft, would drop me like a dirty turd. Doesn't even make me slur at sea level--though it does hurt just as much. Be curious to see how long till my tolerance acclimates.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

East Coast Hustle

I assume you mean how long it will take you to lose the tolerance you've built up from being at altitude, since PDX is damn near sea level?

A week or two, depending on your mass and body chemistry.

At least, that's how long it takes your body to produce the extra blood needed to acclimatize to being at altitude; I'm just assuming it's roughly the same going the other way.

And yeah, that can be a harsh lesson. At least, it was for me when I moved to Mammoth for a winter. Went to a cocktail party my second night there. Had 2 Beam & Cokes. Huge ones, but still, I am a world-champion drinker. Woke up in the cab of someone's pickup with MOST of my vomit just outside the cab on the driveway. Oh, except for the vomit that I apparently hurled from the top of the 3rd story roofpeak, intentionally, on the people below. And the pickup I was passed out in had a huge-ass dent in the hood from where I apparently jumped onto it from the 2nd story deck.

In an amusing bit of synchronicity:

ECHGF grew up in Mammoth as a kid and her best friend there was named Emily. She moved away long before the winter I spent there, but her friend still lived there. Shortly after we started dating I told her my "introduction to Mammoth" story (this is about 6 years after the incident took place). She gets a funny look on her face, busts out laughing, and says "Oh, shit, that was YOU!!!"

The party had been at Emily's house.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on March 12, 2012, 09:58:11 PM
Well, I'm not looking to the Nugget's to be outpacing the Blazer's this season either...but that doesn't mean the shit-talk will be any less fun.

New Belgium is much more well known outside of FoCo, but O'Dell's and FCB beers are generally more highly regarded in town. Biere De Mars and Somersault are the only New Belgium beers that are even on my short list, and those are only seasonal. I'm going to miss 90 Schilling from O'Dell's, something awful. And I am absolutely loving Milk Stout from Left Hand down in Longmont. Might come across O'Dell's at the right store. Left Hand, I'll probably have to write off.

Performed in Ashland a few years back and actually had Sunshine and Fat Tire there. Definitely did not taste the same. I suspect I'll be drinking local wherever the hell I find myself. There's no beating freshness. The other lesson I took from drinking in Ashland, Des Moines, Southern California, etc... That myth about how elevation effects tolerance...not so much a myth. A fishbowl marg at 5-6000 ft, would drop me like a dirty turd. Doesn't even make me slur at sea level--though it does hurt just as much. Be curious to see how long till my tolerance acclimates.

Wow, this elitist pissing-contest mediocrity makes it feel just like I'm sitting in a bar in the suburbs.

Seriously, almost nobody here gives a flying fuck about the Blazers, and I don't even know what a "Nugget" is other than something stuck to Dok Howl's ass hair. I do, however, know that people who find the "my hometown is better than your hometown" game and the "I'm more cosmopolitan than you" game fun are, for the most part, pretentious, boring douches. 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on March 12, 2012, 11:34:09 PM
and I don't even know what a "Nugget" is other than something stuck to Dok Howl's ass hair.

It's true.  I hire midgets to beat the nuggets out with sticks, once a month.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also, someone is being snobby because they're from DENVER?   :lulz:

Denver is to America what Naperville, IL is to Chicago.
Molon Lube

Cain

My hometown is, well, you know.

All your counterarguments are invalid.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2012, 11:46:06 PM

Your hometown, IIRC, is a grey monolith of ancient textile mills and cannibal street urchins.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 12, 2012, 11:45:56 PM

Denver thinks it's hot shit because it's nearest competitors are places like Cheyenne, Albuquerque, and Salt Lake City. :lulz:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Portland, on the other hand, is bookended by Seattle and San Francisco so we are constantly reminded why we're glad we're just a really big cow town and not some swanky center of cosmopolitan culture.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 12, 2012, 11:54:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 12, 2012, 11:45:56 PM

Denver thinks it's hot shit because it's nearest competitors are places like Cheyenne, Albuquerque, and Salt Lake City. :lulz:

I've been to Denver.  It has almost as much culture as Cheyenne, and more assholes.

If you're not some empty-headed drunken prick in a sports bar, there is NOTHING to do.  Hell, Tucson has more fun, affordable shit than Denver does.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 12, 2012, 11:48:40 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2012, 11:46:06 PM

Your hometown, IIRC, is a grey monolith of ancient textile mills and cannibal street urchins.

Well, there's that place too.

I was thinking of the other grey monolith filled with cannibal street urchins, the one that's also a cross between 1984, Bladerunner, V for Vendetta and Brazil, in Rupert Murdoch's acid flashback.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 12, 2012, 11:56:18 PM
Portland, on the other hand, is bookended by Seattle and San Francisco so we are constantly reminded why we're glad we're just a really big cow town and not some swanky center of cosmopolitan culture.

Tucson is a medium-sized cow town, and we have loads of shit to do here.  Shit, we even have an opera house, if you can believe it.  Dinner theaters, art galleries, pervert bars, the whole package.

But we're not as cultured as Seattle and San Francisco, because two people can do all that shit and come in under $150 for an evening, without being a cheapskate.
Molon Lube