News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

Common Walls Debate

Started by Cramulus, February 21, 2012, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 24, 2012, 04:04:24 PM
I think that all sounds completely reasonable.

Sure.  And if the issue is simply going to be given away as free fliers, PDFs, etc, that would be noted as well, and wouldn't affect any other rules.

That seems easy and straightforward.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 24, 2012, 04:17:51 PM
Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 24, 2012, 04:14:41 PM
I think there should be a caveat to #3 in the instance that an editor is publishing a volume that is solely composed of their own work posted on PD.  In that case, IMO, they should do whatever they see fit with the profits.  But as soon as you include any work other than your own, the profits could go to PD.

Another caveat, IMO, that should be discussed is if a cohort of PDers, ALL, decide they want to share/split profits.  So if you have 5 spags putting something together that contains only work written by those 5 spags, I think it would be reasonable for them to keep and split those profits by whatever agreement they come up with.  But same as above, if you use a work by anyone other than those 5 spags, or if one spag doesn't agree, then the profits should go to PD.  Or they just should avoid selling them alltogether.

Oh, absolutely.  I was referring to Intermittens Issues.  Anyone that wants to use their own work can write any book they like, and any temporary cabal can do the same.

But we should keep it out of Intermittens, as that sort of arrangement almost always goes sour. 

From experience, you have no friends in publishing.  They may be your friends, and you may publish together, but while doing so, there is no "friend".

Agreed on all counts. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Placid Dingo

Nigel; I get what you're saying.

Everyone; maybe a good idea would be a standard IM lisence that is required to go in the back of any Intermittens work produced from this date forward that outlines the previous. That way there's some standards already explicit for production.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Placid Dingo

If it can be jpg'd too that would be swell. So I can say 'Hey [spag] I woul like to use [work] for the Intermittens project [number x].

If you're cool with doing so and are happy with the conditions [link to PDF-image-plaintext] let me know.

Triple Zero

I don't like rule#7. I can understand how it can be appropriate for certain publications but it's got no place in ground rules, as this is the 21st century and it's perfectly possible to sell hardcopy and offer PDF downloads for free, see Lulu.com for example.

Of course this is just my opinion, but since there's good chance that I won't be contributing anyway I don't get much of a say in it.

Well there's those photos I took. But I'd be quite happy if anyone would use those black-n-white iron fence pics for anything, so in those cases I'd go along with just about any proposal anyway.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 25, 2012, 12:21:16 AM
I don't like rule#7. I can understand how it can be appropriate for certain publications but it's got no place in ground rules, as this is the 21st century and it's perfectly possible to sell hardcopy and offer PDF downloads for free, see Lulu.com for example.

Of course this is just my opinion, but since there's good chance that I won't be contributing anyway I don't get much of a say in it.

This is pretty much opinion-based.  Everybody ought to speak their piece.
Molon Lube

Placid Dingo

#7 I agree with Trip, if Only because the logistics of agreements like that are sticky. But I guess it could be maybe the editors choice to hold it off for two years.

I'm excited by this conversation.

Telarus

I think Dok is making a distinction between "free" Intermittens (freely available on the web), and a possible Intermittens Print Edition (seperate issues, different formatting.... and a 2 year moratorium on each work-as-a-whole going to the "free" mode).

I really like the distinction, and all of the other suggestions in this thread. I think for Print Editions, moving away from pure kopyleft into a CC-type animal would be a good idea (that way, the "free" version could include a non-commercial clause).

Man.... Really good stuff Rog.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I love Intermittens, but it is what it is, a creative outlet for a forum. If we want to have any success with a pay print version, I think we would have to consider making more than a creative outlet for a forum. I mean, we'd actually have to have job responsibilities, deadlines, regular output... all stuff that we tend to get a little lax about when its just a 'project' here.

We would need to consider our audience... who are we trying to sell to?

Are we trying to sell to Discordians? If so, which Discordians? All Discordians, or only those who have a philosophy like the PD.com cabal?

Are we trying to sell to non-Discordians? How are we going to market it? what would their expectations be?

Past issues of Intermittens have been completely creative, moving to a profit-print model means a lot more consideration. If we're aiming for Discordians in general, editors will have to consider the pieces from that perspective. There are lots of Discordians who might subscribe to a Discordian 'zine, but the reputation of PD.com might limit that audience. There are lots of non-Discordians that might subscribe, but they'll likely be looking for something more polished and less WOMP'd.

I'm basing these opinions on responses I've gotten from Discordians and non-Discordians about past issues.

Of course, we can say "Fuck em! They'll like what we give them"... but in that case, I think it becomes an effort in futility to waste the time, energy and resources (not to mention potential future legal issues if someone tries to swipe our stuff).

Once we're really talking about a commercial enterprise, success will depend on us balancing the order and disorder into something that looks like a publishing Machine ;-)

IMO, of course.

ETA: Also, need to consider if we will need to create a Non-Profit org to handle the income. If so, we'll have to have people in 'official' positions.

I don't want this to come off as a negative post... I'm all for supporting any kind of creative projects here ;-) However, I think these are realistic issues we will need to address if we want something like this to succeed. Hell, it might even grow from Intermittens to a general Discordian publishing house in time... as long as we build it right from the start.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson