News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Bourbon

Started by El Sjaako, February 24, 2012, 09:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Sjaako

Got me a bottle of Evan Williams! I think it's the Black variant, as it's 43% (86 proof) and comes with a black label. Just gonna try a little...

Color: Seems good. Net entirely sure what color it's supposed to be. Don't quite get why this is part of reviews anyway.

Nose: Sweet, woody, some vanilla

Taste: Still mostly sweeter than I'm used to. Must be all the corn.

Finish: Long and strong. Nice taste.

Conclusion: It'll do. Better than Jack Daniels.

After I do this I like to look up other reviews. Some highlights:

Quote from: BarrelProof23
Taste:   Tastes as if someone put vanilla extract in their rectum and then shit in my mouth.

Quote from: scotchnoob.com
Nose: Candle wax, cantaloupe, burned marshmallow, butane lighter fluid.

Rumckle

Quote from: Cain on February 24, 2012, 10:06:25 PM
Quote from: Twid, not Billy. on February 24, 2012, 09:58:13 PM
Heh if you really want to. Its one of those liquors that comes in  a plastic container if its less than 750ml

I just shuddered on reading that.

I've never bought hard liquor that has been in a plastic container.  I've drunk some horrific shit, vodka for less than a fiver, scotch with all the flavour and class of a bottle of piss...but plastic?  Shit.

When I was in Canada I had Canadian Club in a plastic bottle, can't remember if tasted any different though.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: el sjaako on February 25, 2012, 01:52:18 PM
Got me a bottle of Evan Williams! I think it's the Black variant, as it's 43% (86 proof) and comes with a black label. Just gonna try a little...

Color: Seems good. Net entirely sure what color it's supposed to be. Don't quite get why this is part of reviews anyway.

Nose: Sweet, woody, some vanilla

Taste: Still mostly sweeter than I'm used to. Must be all the corn.

Finish: Long and strong. Nice taste.

Conclusion: It'll do. Better than Jack Daniels.

After I do this I like to look up other reviews. Some highlights:

Quote from: BarrelProof23
Taste:   Tastes as if someone put vanilla extract in their rectum and then shit in my mouth.

Quote from: scotchnoob.com
Nose: Candle wax, cantaloupe, burned marshmallow, butane lighter fluid.

Evan Williams Black is what I think of as "the good cheap bourbon". It's definitely cheap, but it's not bad, and it's miles better than Old Crow.

When I can splurge, I like Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, Corner Creek, bourbons of that ilk. Not Makers, though. I used to like Makers and then one day, it tasted like a mildewing pile of fallen leaves. You know how some things you can't untaste?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

kingyak

Still, everyone should drink Old Crow once. It's the bourbon equivalent of losing your virginity (to a sasquatch with genitalia made out of chainsaws).
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

El Sjaako

Quote from: Nigel on February 25, 2012, 04:13:59 PM
Evan Williams Black is what I think of as "the good cheap bourbon". It's definitely cheap, but it's not bad, and it's miles better than Old Crow.

When I can splurge, I like Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, Corner Creek, bourbons of that ilk. Not Makers, though. I used to like Makers and then one day, it tasted like a mildewing pile of fallen leaves. You know how some things you can't untaste?

Yeah, I know the feeling. When I started drinking loose leaf teas I suddenly stopped liking most teabags. Especially the fruity ones. And I used to be able to drink the bottom shelf blended scotch, but now I just can't.

I'm afraid to start drinking good coffee because I want to be able to go somewhere and have a coffee, without noticing how good the place is at making coffee.

Same thing with can't unsee. It's like the arrow in the FedEx logo.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: kingyak on February 25, 2012, 04:21:07 PM
Still, everyone should drink Old Crow once. It's the bourbon equivalent of losing your virginity (to a sasquatch with genitalia made out of chainsaws).

EXACTLY.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: el sjaako on February 25, 2012, 04:22:41 PM

Yeah, I know the feeling. When I started drinking loose leaf teas I suddenly stopped liking most teabags. Especially the fruity ones. And I used to be able to drink the bottom shelf blended scotch, but now I just can't.

I'm afraid to start drinking good coffee because I want to be able to go somewhere and have a coffee, without noticing how good the place is at making coffee.

Makers Mark has always been a good bourbon... it just has a vaguely musty undertone that, once I noticed it, I can't stop tasting. It dominates the flavor for me now. My friends don't taste it at all (but oddly, they also no longer buy Makers to drink at home, so either I've unconsciously influenced their preferences or they started tasting something off, too).

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: kingyak on February 25, 2012, 04:21:07 PM

This sounds like the first batch of moonshine I made at the tender age of 14.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Triple Zero

Quote from: el sjaako on February 25, 2012, 04:22:41 PM

Fortunately, with coffee, I have found that preparing it the right way really does the most for the taste.

Sure fancy home-ground beans are nice, especially if they're extra fancy.

But as long as you're not using Euroshopper ground coffee--srsly what's wrong with that stuff you need like 1.5x the amount to get the same kick and even then it doesn't taste very good. If you're just going for the caffeine it's still cheaper though--get a filter-holder for 2 euros at Blokker, pour hot boiling water on it, keep stirring, and you get really great coffee almost no matter how unfancy it is (you might need a bit more coffee for the filter-holder method to get the same strength but I prefer it *slightly* over french press).

My preferred way to prepare coffee, WITH PICS: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,15046.0.html

(but if you're making for more than yourself, a coffee drip machine is best)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I only really drink bourbon with whiskey sours. I like a Woodford Reserve or Jim Beam black for it.

El Sjaako

Quote from: Pixie on February 26, 2012, 09:27:55 AM
I only really drink bourbon with whiskey sours. I like a Woodford Reserve or Jim Beam black for it.
Trying this right now, with a friend. Decent, but I prefer the whiskey.

trippinprincezz13

I thought Booker's was really good when we tried it not that long ago. One of the few bourbons (well liquors at all, really), I've been able to drink neat and enjoy. But it's a rare occassion we can splurge $40+ on a bottle of booze, so Maker's and Knob Creek are usually are go-too "good" bourbons, Jack or Jim if you just wanna get drunk. Tried something that was somewhere between Maker's and Booker's that wasn't bad, but forget the name.

Usually wait til we can afford something decent before we buy booze
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Deepthroat Chopra

Maker's Mark is a good smooth bourbon, but I've always been keen on Wild Turkey. None of them come in plastic. I once drank Brazilian Cachasa out of tupperware. I haven't stopped twitching yet.

I don't get the JD is not bourbon though. Yes, I know it's "Tennessee Whiskey", but it's made through the same process as Jim Beam Black, I thought. Corn mash, double filtered?

Side note - I toured the JD distillery in Lynchburg once, learning that alcohol is actually illegal in the county that supplies JD to the planet. Exiting through the gift shop, you can buy JD clocks, pool cues and lemonade. Yes, you can base your whole economy around an alcoholic beverage, but you can't drink it yourself! That's just immoral!

American paradoxes.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector