News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Take the Plunger

Started by AFK, February 23, 2012, 07:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

I dont know why puns drive me nuts. I mean i make them sometimes myself. But one thing i certain- i picture whn in his office with a smug look on his face knowing that hes made my eyelid a little more twitchy. I imagine this is a mental tactic to protect my sanity. Hes doing it on purpose!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

I will admit a certain level of satisfaction when I know I've come up with a particularly potent and well constructed pun.  I know there's a fair number that are mediocre to average, but I do relish the ones I mustard up that get a good rise out of the crowd.

By the way, in case anyone ever wondered, the origins of WHN-punning can pretty much be traced back to this:

http://madballs.wikia.com/wiki/Madballs_Comic_1

Plot  While playing hide and seek with the Madballs, the children hide in a cornfield, only to be captured by the minions of a mysterious new villain. When the Madballs go through the cornfield and search for the missing children, they find a trail of corn leading to an old barn. Inside the barn, they see the kids being held captive by Colonel Corn, who was originally a kernel of corn until he fell into the toxic R.U.I.N. lake, and now is "corn-sidering" ruling the world. The Madballs are at first no match for Colonel Corn due to his horrible corn puns weakening them. Dust Brain temporarily manages to stop Colonel Corn from saying more puns by using his gauze to wrap around his mouth and shut him up. It doesn't last long when Colonel Corn summons his last weapon, a large Cornball that also tells horrible puns. All hope is lost until Lynn pretends to insult the Madballs to make Screamin' Meemie so angry that he glows white hot and makes all of the corn turn into pop corn. Before sending Colonel Corn to the police, the gang watch television while eating the pop corn made from what remains of his minions.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

I never realized how truly degenerate you were.

AFK

I used to do impressions too.  My favorite was Sean Connery, though, I think many novice impressionists gravitate to him.  To this day, I'm amazed my wife married me despite my puns and impressions and otherwise corn-ball sense of humor. 

Must be the big feet. 

Luna

Truly, the only ways to show real appreciation for puns are:

1.  Groan/Eyeroll
2.  "I hate you."
3.  Threat of physical violence
4.  Flee the room, holding your nose and screaming.

Some substitutions accepted.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Luna on February 24, 2012, 06:33:15 PM

1.  Groan/Eyeroll
2.  "I hate you."

Even between contesting punners?
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

AFK

The only puns that make me groan are bad ones.  Of course, I'm using bad in the context of composition/execution/delivery and so on.  You can find a lot of bad puns at punoftheday.com  An evil site that does punnery injustice.  And not just because they won't publish some of the puns I send them. 

But I think with contesting punners it would be like anything else.  I really good one, or bad one depending on how you look at it, just makes the other punner want to up their game. 

Freeky

Quote from: Luna on February 24, 2012, 10:14:53 AM
Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 23, 2012, 07:51:03 PM
Now, now, I think Richter is a fine looking fellow.  ;)

He is, that.  (And so are you, for that matter.)   :p

However, nobody should be doing THAT in the front seat of a Volvo moving at 80 MPH.

:(  Why not?  It's th ONLY good place for it.

Luna

Quote from: Waffle Iron on February 24, 2012, 07:00:08 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 24, 2012, 06:33:15 PM

1.  Groan/Eyeroll
2.  "I hate you."

Even between contesting punners?

Hitting 'em back with another pun is also acceptable.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Luna

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on February 25, 2012, 01:29:03 AM
Quote from: Luna on February 24, 2012, 10:14:53 AM
Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 23, 2012, 07:51:03 PM
Now, now, I think Richter is a fine looking fellow.  ;)

He is, that.  (And so are you, for that matter.)   :p

However, nobody should be doing THAT in the front seat of a Volvo moving at 80 MPH.

:(  Why not?  It's th ONLY good place for it.

I can think of a few better places...

Triple Zero

Quote from: Luna on February 24, 2012, 01:14:03 PM
Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 24, 2012, 01:00:03 PM
I really like this new format I've been trying out.  Probably unsurprisingly, I think of the pun first and then create the backstory.  It's a useful creative writing exercise for me and I thank you all for entertaining me when I do it.

Also, we would be remiss if we didn't throw some pun props to Mr. 000 who is a very deft and formidable punster.

And puns in a language which is not his first language, which impresses the living hell out of me.

I dunno but English is almost like a 1.5th language to me, not a second language. My study books were English and I've spent so much time on American/English forums (also before PD) and just reading shit on the Internet, I'm sure I've read significantly more English than Dutch in my life. Like 5x as much or so. As for writing I'm not sure--no wait I am sure, because I write more on this forum than I do anywhere else, so yeah :)

Hey RWHN, I just had a thought, for me, punning is a lot like rhyming. Is it? You're looking for words that "fit" some sort of structure, and try to fit them into a story or a sentence at the same time. And the signifier of a good rhyme as with a good pun is that it's better as the less obvious it is that you searched for it, but feels natural within the context. Of course because a pun is humour, you can subvert this and make it super-obvious and it still works, but that goes with rhymes too. Especially Sinterklaas rhymes. I should probably listen more Raffi :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

minuspace

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on February 24, 2012, 04:19:33 PM
I used to do impressions too.  My favorite was Sean Connery, though, I think many novice impressionists gravitate to him.  To this day, I'm amazed my wife married me despite my puns and impressions and otherwise corn-ball sense of humor. 

Must be the big feet.

Maybe it was the amazing impression? :lulz: