News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Household Anarchy

Started by Hollis Increase, February 28, 2012, 04:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Nope. I dont have time to read vinegar in the foreseeable future. Just a nutshell explanation will do. Obviously it went over our heads.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Hollis Increase

The very definition of a koan necessitates its meaning relies on the absence of explanation.  If it is explained, it loses its intention.  But, in the spirit of non-attachment, I'll explain and consequently destroy its meaning, and thereby impart nothing to you.

Tosui the Zen Master left his monastery to live with beggars.  He had a concerned friend who was worried that, as Tosui became more frail and elderly, Tosui would be unable to sustain himself as a beggar.  So, his friend taught him to make vinegar from rice, which Tosui sold or bartered to make a living for himself.  Some time later, a beggar friend of his gave him a picture of Buddha.  Tosui placed the picture on the wall of his very small hut with a sign beside it that read Buddha, my hut is quite small.  I can let you stay here as a transient, but don't believe I am asking you for help being reborn into your paradise. 

Now, when one reads this koan, ideally there should be a fleeting sense of understanding the wisdom within it - only fleeting.  Once that fleeting understanding has passed, its gone.  That is the essence of a koan.  Thinking about the story beyond that fleeting moment only brings one farther away from its meaning.  Shall I go on?
Ser Piggy could only find work as a Mortuary Transport Driver.  His appearance was far too disgusting for the living.

Nephew Twiddleton

I get the purpose of koans. But this list has no obvious meaning as one as far as i can tell. Is it wiser to waste mental energy on trying to figure it out eventually going "oh! I get it!" but then not really be sure i get it because you cant explain it to me or is it wiser to say i dont see any potential for hidden meaning or wisdom. Why dont you tell me your insights since you came up with the thing and maybe it will help you compose it in a more thought provoking presentation.?

Hollis Increase

1) You should not try to figure it out.  You should do the opposite of trying to figure it out.

2) There is no hidden meaning.  There is only awareness and an inadequate method of describing that awareness (i.e. language).  A koan attempts to transcend the code of language and impart a direct understanding, if only briefly.

3) Hasn't the thing provoked thought?
Ser Piggy could only find work as a Mortuary Transport Driver.  His appearance was far too disgusting for the living.

Salty

Quote from: Hollis Increase on March 02, 2012, 10:24:02 PM
1) You should not try to figure it out.  You should do the opposite of trying to figure it out.

2) There is no hidden meaning.  There is only awareness and an inadequate method of describing that awareness (i.e. language).  A koan attempts to transcend the code of language and impart a direct understanding, if only briefly.

3) Hasn't the thing provoked thought?

Done and done.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Doktor Howl

1) You should not try to figure it out. 

You should go fix your plagiarization in Principia Discussion. 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hollis Increase on March 02, 2012, 09:19:56 PM
Don't think for a moment that I'm asking you psuedo-hipsters to help me be reborn in your "discordian" paradise.

:lulz:

We have a live one.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 02, 2012, 10:39:52 PM
1) You should not try to figure it out. 

You should go fix your plagiarization in Principia Discussion.

You know what?  Fuck it.  Thread nuked.

Try that shit again, and you're gone.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hollis Increase on March 02, 2012, 09:56:46 PM
The very definition of a koan necessitates its meaning relies on the absence of explanation.

I still don't get it.  How is a list of household chemicals and their potential use as harmful objects a "koan"?

You ride a tallbike, don't you?
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

So i should not try and understand it and there is no meaning. Whats the point? And no its not thought provoking if by your own admission there is no meaning.

Freeky

Dude, i try not to make judgements like I'm about to, but you're a retard.

Hollis Increase

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 02, 2012, 10:44:53 PM
The very definition of a koan necessitates its meaning relies on the absence of explanation.

No.  But I rode the short bus to school.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on March 02, 2012, 10:52:16 PM
Dude, i try not to make judgements like I'm about to, but you're a retard.

He's like a cheesehead AKK.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hollis Increase on March 02, 2012, 10:54:42 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 02, 2012, 10:44:53 PM

No.  But I rode the short bus to school.

I notice you failed to answer my question.

Wait.  Trix, is that you?
Molon Lube

Hollis Increase

"Some episkoposes have a one-man cabal. Some work together. Some never do explain."

--Principia Discordia