News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

All .COM domains now subject to US Law

Started by Triple Zero, February 29, 2012, 04:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 29, 2012, 09:24:53 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 29, 2012, 04:39:19 PM
The indictment focuses on the movement of funds from accounts outside the U.S., in Switzerland, England, Malta, and Canada, and the hiring of media resellers and advertisers to promote Internet gambling.

"Sports betting is illegal in Maryland, and federal law prohibits bookmakers from flouting that law simply because they are located outside the country,"

Holy fuck.  Could we be any more arrogant as a nation?
We could remotely execute suspected terrorists in a foreign nation without... wait, no. We could file a secret injunction against a whistleblower for publishing embarrassing... no. We could make Scotland Yard our bitches for cybercri--no.

Yeah, I got nothing.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on February 29, 2012, 06:59:18 PM
Quote from: That'll be five Twid, please. on February 29, 2012, 06:07:31 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 29, 2012, 05:55:58 PM
Apparently .info is controlled by an Irish company.

We could also get principiadiscordia.eu since Faust's in an EU member state.

A quick check shows both would cost about 32,50 euro per year. Is that much? What do we (Faust) pay for our other domains?

You Germanic types and your commas. I read that as EUR 32500 and almost choked.

Me too. My question is if we get a new server and a new domain and such . . . will Faust be allowed to accept funds from US citizens for site upkeep or will that give the US all the rights it needs to jump in because "Funds are moving outside the US" ?

Sorry about the comma :) I usually use dots with decimal numbers, especially when posting in English, but with money the comma is more engrained, cause I see it everywhere on pricetags and such.

And funds from US citizens has nothing to do with the server and the domain. It just goes to Faust, and then he pays the server bills from it. So your funds are already moving outside the US :)

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 29, 2012, 10:08:27 PM
The indictment focuses on the movement of funds from accounts outside the U.S., in Switzerland, England, Malta, and Canada, and the hiring of media resellers and advertisers to promote Internet gambling.

"Sports betting is illegal in Maryland, and federal law prohibits bookmakers from flouting that law simply because they are located outside the country,"

We could remotely execute suspected terrorists in a foreign nation without... wait, no. We could file a secret injunction against a whistleblower for publishing embarrassing... no. We could make Scotland Yard our bitches for cybercri--no.

Yeah, I got nothing.

Aww don't worry, I'm sure you'll find a way! It's one of your many talents! And you MUST, think of the French, you show them what real arrogance is made of!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Yeah, I got nothing.

How about we tell Great Britain that we'll kidnap their subjects right off their streets if we damn well please.

Um.  Wait.  We did that, too.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 01, 2012, 12:48:58 AM

Yeah, I got nothing.

How about we tell Great Britain that we'll kidnap their subjects right off their streets if we damn well please.

Um.  Wait.  We did that, too.

That was in revenge for what they did to our sailors in before 1812.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

waitwaitwaitwait I forgot to mention this

ALL YOUR .COM ARE BELONG TO U.S.

aaaahahahahahaha in 2012 WAR WAS BEGINNING :lulz:
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 01, 2012, 08:49:18 AM
waitwaitwaitwait I forgot to mention this

ALL YOUR .COM ARE BELONG TO U.S.

aaaahahahahahaha in 2012 WAR WAS BEGINNING :lulz:

Since all of you non-Americans are subject to US law regardless of what borders you happen to be skulking behind you might as well all become US citizens and have a vote. But you damn well better speak MERKIN ENGLISH

Twid,
kinda serious here. Wants to see 6 billion Americans voting.

bds

Wait, so... If I make a website called gaymarriage.com where we plan gay marriages or some shit, the Feds could seize that domain because gay marriage is outlawed in a bunch of states? even if I live in the UK? what the shitting fuck?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: bds on March 01, 2012, 09:18:18 AM
Wait, so... If I make a website called gaymarriage.com where we plan gay marriages or some shit, the Feds could seize that domain because gay marriage is outlawed in a bunch of states? even if I live in the UK? what the shitting fuck?

No no no....

See, here's where it gets crazy complicated. Gay marriage is ok in best state in America Massachusetts and the lesser states known as Connecticunt, Iowa funny nickname to this state, New Hamster, Spoo York, Derpmont, The District of Columbia and two Native American Tribes down around Nigelway. Oh and sometimes Caliscornia depending on the weather.

Except you're fucked over in like, 36 other states. Depends on the jurisdiction. But since apparently Maryland is setting the standard for planet Earth, your recognition is as follows:

Same sex marriages performed elsewhere recognized.

But then DOMA.

You're going to jail in a bunch of different places, Sodomite!

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 29, 2012, 05:55:58 PM
Apparently .info is controlled by an Irish company.

We could also get principiadiscordia.eu since Faust's in an EU member state.

A quick check shows both would cost about 32,50 euro per year. Is that much? What do we (Faust) pay for our other domains?
Its three times the cost of the .com or .org domains but it would almost be worth it to get away from the self proclaimed king of the internet that is the U.S.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

bds

Bwana Honolulu

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 29, 2012, 05:24:41 PMWhen we get the dedicated set up, it might be worth configuring some non-US (sub)domain to point at it, just so people know beforehand where to go. I say sub domain, because they're basically free. We could ask the guys at the German Discordia forum (they seemed nice) maybe.
You're not probably talking about us, are you? :wink: Otherwise I would enjoy a link to the obviously unknown German Discordia forum. :thumb:

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 29, 2012, 05:24:41 PMYeah when we move hosting to a German dedicated server, we might want to consider that.
I am not sure if you really want that, it's like curing a desease by permanently poisoning the patient. Actually we were planning to move our forums from our current hoster to a more professional one... while using a .com to avoid some german legal mumbo-jumbo that's connected to .de domains. Now this thread made me think about our .com decission...
:vom:

Anyways. Time to panic?
:omg:
Meh, I don't think so. As long as only a domain is seized yet the servers with all the data are still up and running and there's no partyvan in front of your house...
His Quasaric Sphericity Bwana Honolulu,
Supremest Commander of Suicide Commando Ω−,
Ruler of everything, everything else and nothing again,
Greatgrandpapapope and Metagodemperor in Zimmer523,
Grand Admiracle of the mounted naval cavalry at sea,
Reichsminister für Popularpodicifikation,
Keeper of the holy Q.

Triple Zero

Quote from: That'll be five Twid, please. on March 01, 2012, 09:12:20 AMSince all of you non-Americans are subject to US law regardless of what borders you happen to be skulking behind you might as well all become US citizens and have a vote. But you damn well better speak MERKIN ENGLISH

Twid,

And I'd like to see 6 billion people dancing, in the middle of the streets.

Can you explain me, say I'd become a US citizen, why'd I want to be voting again? Just like your Department of the Interior, it doesn't quite seem to serve the same function as it does in the rest of the world. What's it supposed to do, in the US? Or is it more like a sort of cargo-cult phenomenon, that you just go through the movements because you were told it once had some sort of wonderful magical effect and maybe it'll happen again?

I'm all for traditions and such, but do I have to?

;-)

Quote from: bds on March 01, 2012, 09:18:18 AMWait, so... If I make a website called gaymarriage.com where we plan gay marriages or some shit, the Feds could seize that domain because gay marriage is outlawed in a bunch of states? even if I live in the UK? what the shitting fuck?

As far as I understand, you need to be doing business with Americans too. So maybe if you'd have a site called gay-marriage-planner.com and you'd organize American gay marriages or some such.

But even then, I dunno if gay marriage is outlawed in the same way as sports betting is? Because the first one is just not possible or recognized in certain states and the latter is actually illegal in the sense that it'll get you fined or jailed if you do it in the wrong states.

Quote from: Faust on March 01, 2012, 09:30:27 AMIts three times the cost of the .com or .org domains but it would almost be worth it to get away from the self proclaimed king of the internet that is the U.S.

It was just the first place I looked to get a ballpark, better deals can probably be found, as registrars/name resellers vary wildly in price.

Quote from: Bwana Honolulu on March 01, 2012, 01:22:43 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on February 29, 2012, 05:24:41 PMWhen we get the dedicated set up, it might be worth configuring some non-US (sub)domain to point at it, just so people know beforehand where to go. I say sub domain, because they're basically free. We could ask the guys at the German Discordia forum (they seemed nice) maybe.
You're not probably talking about us, are you? :wink: Otherwise I would enjoy a link to the obviously unknown German Discordia forum. :thumb:

Yes, you guys! :D But now I see you don't have your own domain.

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 29, 2012, 05:24:41 PMYeah when we move hosting to a German dedicated server, we might want to consider that.
I am not sure if you really want that, it's like curing a desease by permanently poisoning the patient. Actually we were planning to move our forums from our current hoster to a more professional one... while using a .com to avoid some german legal mumbo-jumbo that's connected to .de domains. Now this thread made me think about our .com decission...

can you explain why it's like curing a disease by fatally poisoning the patient? I know the German gvmt isn't to be entirely trusted either (with the Bundestrojan, etc) but it's pretty hard to find places that are, and well, I'm fairly sure that the US is in fact worse.

can you tell me more about the legal mumbo-jumbo connected to .de domains?

Is it to do with the hate speech laws? Because I looked into that right after I found out about the Hetzner.de dedicated server offer, and it's really not nearly as bad as I thought. We'd be banning neo-nazis anyway, so now we gotta delete their posts too (or at least remove the swastikas or whatever)--the important part is, you get a notice if you would please take it down, and you don't get in trouble for it: it's WAY more lenient than the sort of fucked up shit you get into if you accidentally get copyrighted RIAA/MPAA material on your site and one of their lawyers sees it on their bad day (you need to be pretty unlucky, but it's been shown to happen)

QuoteAnyways. Time to panic?
:omg:
Meh, I don't think so. As long as only a domain is seized yet the servers with all the data are still up and running and there's no partyvan in front of your house...

Well that is one of the reasons why the new server is not going to be physically located in the US. The other reason is that Dreamhost sucks for the service we're (not) getting.

You're right that losing the domain does not imply losing the data (I said the same in one of my earlier posts ITT), however:

- it's extremely inconvenient
- your domain will show an ugly US takedown notice banner
- your visitors will need to track down or figure out the new domain
- register a new US-controlled domain, host the same content that was deemed illegal, and it'll get taken down immediately, you're not going to get your content back up unless you put it on a free domain, so you might as well do that from the start
- also, the principle of the thing.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 01, 2012, 04:30:32 PM
Quote from: That'll be five Twid, please. on March 01, 2012, 09:12:20 AMSince all of you non-Americans are subject to US law regardless of what borders you happen to be skulking behind you might as well all become US citizens and have a vote. But you damn well better speak MERKIN ENGLISH

Twid,

And I'd like to see 6 billion people dancing, in the middle of the streets.

Can you explain me, say I'd become a US citizen, why'd I want to be voting again? Just like your Department of the Interior, it doesn't quite seem to serve the same function as it does in the rest of the world. What's it supposed to do, in the US? Or is it more like a sort of cargo-cult phenomenon, that you just go through the movements because you were told it once had some sort of wonderful magical effect and maybe it'll happen again?

I'm all for traditions and such, but do I have to?

;-)

Only in the state of Australia, my good man. In the rest of Amearthica, you have the option of voting.

But of course you would want to. It's like superbowl. You don't have to like or even understand football to enjoy it. And just like the superbowl you get to rush home and have a small party with your friends and watch the returns, glued to the TV until 2 am as the pundits excitedly toss swing states back and forth between the two contenders, projecting and rejecting wins. And then you get to wave your asses at the losing team and your middle finger at the winning team, depending on which one you fall under. It's great fun.

Plus, can you imagine if all the havoc you foreign Americans could wreak by massively writing in a candidate?