News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

'Better living through electrochemistry'

Started by Kai, March 03, 2012, 07:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

AKA, 9 volt battery a day keeps the voices of doubt away.

Not in the least bit clear how it works. Yes yes, it's 9 volts of current coursing through your brain, but how is it interfering with the connectome specifically?

And if that wasn't enough, you can make your own.. If electrocuting your brain is the sort of crazy thing you like to do, anyway.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hirley0

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on March 03, 2012, 07:16:38 PM
AKA, 9 volt battery  :fnord:
:fnord: make your own..

http://www.tooserious.com/  {i do NOT have /or want flash 4 | = not 2

My grand Niece had one | Dr.. Prescribed | tried it on me | I vote in favor

Bruno

Not in the least bit clear how it works. Yes yes, it's 9 volts of current coursing through your brain, but how is it interfering with the connectome specifically?

And if that wasn't enough, you can make your own.. If electrocuting your brain is the sort of crazy thing you like to do, anyway.

If I had one of these, maybe I could stop the phrase "9 volts of current" from echoing through my brain, and focus on how fucking amazing this thing is.
Formerly something else...

Kai

Quote from: Emo Howard on March 03, 2012, 10:12:36 PM

If I had one of these, maybe I could stop the phrase "9 volts of current" from echoing through my brain, and focus on how fucking amazing this thing is.

Sorry, I'm not a very good electrician. Should be "9 volts of potential applied to your brain". :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Bruno

I have a theory (or whatevar) that Tesla experimented with this stuff, and that explains why he was kind of a weird guy.

Cain

I suck at making things, but if I can find one to buy, I sure as hell am.

Doktor Howl

WHAT'S A VOLT OF CURRENT?

CURRENT IS MEASURED IN AMPHERES.  THIS "SCIENCE" IS SUSPECT, AND SHOULD BE TESTED ON CONVICTS AND PAGANS FIRST. 
Molon Lube

Telarus

Quote...the thing that made the earth drop out from under my feet was that for the first time in my life, everything in my head finally shut the fuck up.

:lulz: Gotta love that 5th circuit jump. Look at the classic grasping at the same language used to convey "Satori" (etc)... The earth floats away downwards, and everything in your mind shuts the fuck up. She brings up yoga later, so that's probably the vector for these specific metaphors, but still it's interesting to note. Also experienced the classic "days of slow integration of the new calm-experience" afterwards.

I would recommend binaural sound techniques + biofeedback sensors to get used to these mental states first. The first only requires a computer and some headphones, and the 2nd (neural pads) are fairly available nowdays (I saw a neural-music kit @ Esozone a few years ago).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 04, 2012, 01:48:41 AM
WHAT'S A VOLT OF CURRENT?

CURRENT IS MEASURED IN AMPHERES.  THIS "SCIENCE" IS SUSPECT, AND SHOULD BE TESTED ON CONVICTS AND PAGANS FIRST.

I corrected myself, if you didn't notice.  :)

Bruno

Mistre

Am I the only one who is a little worried about shutting down my brain's voices?
Uber Supreme Poobah of Pope-Groping™

He who acknowledges his own inability to answer a question is wise, he who does not seek one is stupid.

Juana

Possibly. I'd like all the white noise to go away, myself.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Telarus on March 04, 2012, 08:56:11 AM
I would recommend binaural sound techniques + biofeedback sensors to get used to these mental states first. The first only requires a computer and some headphones, and the 2nd (neural pads) are fairly available nowdays (I saw a neural-music kit @ Esozone a few years ago).

Is there yet any science backing up the effectiveness of listening to binaural beats? I seem to recall it was kind of iffy last time we discussed it and Wikipedia is all "hypothetical", "reportedly" and "alleged" about its "claimed" effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwave_synchronization

Most of the loose pieces sort of make sense: binaural beats are real, alpha/theta/etc wave frequencies do correspond with certain brain states, ... looking at WP's citations I can't find any reliable sources about the claimed "frequency following" or "entrainment" effect with regard to sound.

Most are sites selling related hardware, training or therapy, stating it as a claim with no proof. There is one scientific reference (that I can access) but in the abstract they mention the affected neurons are "spatially compact", so I assume that's just a small chunk of neurons in the auditory centre trying to predict the signal, nothing about actually "synchronizing" any other part of the brain.

Which is interesting, btw, because reading about the differences between these delta/theta/alpha waves, they're all generated by different parts of the brain! Crazy, because all those sites about brainwave synchronization really give you the impression that it's some global neural signal pulsing through important parts of your brain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_wave (you can click through to delta, theta and more)

Interestingly enough, the research on effects of audio-visual pulsing signals and brainwave entrainment seems a lot more solid. Which makes sense because we all know that photosensitive epilepsy is real. But I've never heard about people going into a seizure because of low frequency sounds (who knows, it might happen, but I can't find anything about it so I guess it's rare). At the very least that would suggest that visual stimulus based brainwave synchronization would have a much stronger effect than aural.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio–visual_entrainment

Finally, I wondered why you'd have to make binaural beats, and not just a series of short sound pulses repeating at the right frequency. Would be a much clearer signal, as binaural beats are pretty subtle--in fact they initially got attention because of the fact people could perceive them at all. Turns out this pulse method is also used and it's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isochronic_tones and there's also Monaural Beats, which is just amplitude modulation.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on March 04, 2012, 10:27:47 PM
Possibly. I'd like all the white noise to go away, myself.

I would worry about its impact on my creativity. On the other hand, I've had some pretty strong 5th circuit experiences without external devices, and they are /excellent/. I wouldn't want to be that way all the time, but just use it as a reset button. Maybe that's what this is all really good for.

And if you reset your computer all the time nothing gets done.