News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Lulzsec's last supper

Started by LMNO, March 06, 2012, 05:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I know it's Fox News, but... LulzSec brought down by own leader.

QuoteLaw enforcement agents on two continents swooped in on top members of the infamous computer hacking group LulzSec early this morning, and acting largely on evidence gathered by the organization's brazen leader -- who sources say has been secretly working for the government for months.

ET TU, BRTUE SABU?

Cain

I seem to recall suggesting this months ago. 

I can't remember exactly why now, but it was also known that HB Gary had people in Lulzsec too.  No doubt there were some genuine people, but targeted arrests allow for native decapitation and takeover by hostile elements, who can then use their privileged positions to wrap up the whole organization - if that is indeed their aim.

I mean, I'm just saying, Lulzsec carried out a bunch of high profile hacks at a time when cyberwafare funding was being discussed in a serious way in the media and certain government agencies.  Nothing like a group of sugar-rushed hackers attacking everything in sight to convince people of the need to employ people like, well, HB Gary and Palantir.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

LMNO

And once again, Cain sees through the story, and gets to the bigger picture -- it's not about the feds striking lulzsec from the inside, it's about making a big splash to maintain their status and cashflow. 

Goddamn humans.

Cain

Lets recall, the FBI has been creating fake terrorism plots for years, only to sweep in once they have enough incriminating evidence to put everyone else away.

Almost always, in these cases, the ringleader, the instigator, is the FBI informant.

Q. G. Pennyworth

To be clear: the summer of lulz started before August 15th, when Sabu turned bitch on everyone. This was a catch and release so we can grab your buddies, not an organized plot from day one to ferret out subversive elements, or whatever.

Cain

Sure.  But does it make any real functional difference?  The Red Brigades were a real terrorist organization,, up until the Superclandestini coup within their ranks, and after that they became just another mechanism in the Italian "strategy of tension", a tool of the state to further centre-right, pro-American and corporate interests.

The government had the inside scoop on Lulzsecs activities for months, and yet they still let them round around hacking the shit out of everything.  A good question to ask is: why?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Cain on March 06, 2012, 05:31:25 PM
Sure.  But does it make any real functional difference?  The Red Brigades were a real terrorist organization,, up until the Superclandestini coup within their ranks, and after that they became just another mechanism in the Italian "strategy of tension", a tool of the state to further centre-right, pro-American and corporate interests.

The government had the inside scoop on Lulzsecs activities for months, and yet they still let them round around hacking the shit out of everything.  A good question to ask is: why?
It makes a difference in how I view the FBI, and the other folks in lulzsec. As to the why, you can't bust everyone else unless they've actually done something you have proof of.

Cain

Wait a minute... "my buddies"?  Just who do you think you're talking to here?

And never mind annoying little facts like the "A" team of hackers (including possibly HB Gary employees) that infiltrated Lulzsec from the start (December 2010, Gawker hack, "gn0sis" group), that they released detailed information on the members of Lulzsec in June 2011, publically, and sent additional information to various law enforcement authorities, but, apparently, the FBI have been letting them run around for 9 months after the fact, despite having that info to hand and Sabu passing them on information.

Oh, and I've worked with FBI contractors and consultants before, on similar issues.  With the kind of information they have to hand, it does not take 9 months for them to start arresting people.

But never mind.  Cain's paranoid.  Clearly.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 06, 2012, 06:05:12 PM
But never mind.  Cain's paranoid.  Clearly.

Paranoia is no longer possible.

Based on that, and Cain's track record, I'm going with his scenario.

ETA:  I don't think she meant YOUR buddies.  I think she meant the alleged catch and release pigeon's buddies.  But I'm of the mind that the entire thing was a setup from the beginning.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Yup.  "Cui Bono", and all that.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 06, 2012, 06:12:14 PM
Yup.  "Cui Bono", and all that.

Well, they can't seem to get anonymous, so why not set up and then "catch" a similar group?
Molon Lube

Telarus

Yup. Dovetails nicely with the whole "major board member of the 'Ground Zero Mosque' was accepting CIA money" thing too.

Manufacture of controversy.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Q. G. Pennyworth

"Your buddies" being directed at the person who was caught (in this case Sabu) and not the reader.