How I Use Australians to Deal With Stress

Started by Doktor Howl, March 06, 2012, 09:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on March 07, 2012, 01:00:11 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 07, 2012, 12:42:48 AM
Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on March 07, 2012, 12:16:00 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 06, 2012, 11:33:36 PM
Anyone who can live on an island made of poison kinda has to think of themselves as supernaturally badass, I would think.

"made of poison"?

I thought my white ancestors brought the poison. Could you please clarify?

British nuclear testing? Over-use of DDT? Introduction of Cane Toads? What?
blue ring octopus
every snake
box jellyfish
stone fish
red back spider
funnel web spider
platypuses...

Ah. Thanks. Yes, the most poisonous snakes on the planet. But we have many pythons too, just to be pedantic - not poisonous. Thankful we don't have Komodo Dragons and Killer bees.

But yes, even so, we have poisoned this continent ourselves (well, we blame the British mostly) more in the past couple of hundred years than all those animals combined.
Okay, not every snake, but you guys still have more poisonous than non-poisonous snakes, unlike the rest of us civilized continents :P

LMNO

Whoa.

QuoteThe octopus produces venom that contains tetrodotoxin, 5-hydroxytryptamine, hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine, acetylcholine, and dopamine. The major neurotoxin component of blue-ringed octopus venom was originally known as maculotoxin but was later found to be identical to tetrodotoxin,[4] a neurotoxin which is also found in pufferfish that is 10,000 times more toxic than cyanide.[5] Tetrodotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and respiratory arrest within minutes of exposure, leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The toxin is produced by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus.[6]

There is no blue-ringed octopus antivenom available.
But it's so CUTE!

Cain

The oceans of Australia are far more terrifying than the land.

You have blue-ringed octopuses, stonefish, kraits far more venomous than anything found on land, sharks, box jellyfish, sting-rays, cone-shells  and, most fun of all, saltwater crocodiles.

LMNO

What the hell is a "kraite"?

[googles]

:whimper:

Phox

Memo to self, avoid swimming in Australia.

That said, however, I do believe the good Doktor has something here. After all, those upside down bastards are just taunting us with their insane lingo and bizarre preferences, so clearly if they should live in an oppressive police state that heavily restricts peaceful protests, then it merely serves them right for their wicked, wicked ways.

Rumckle

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on March 07, 2012, 01:00:11 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 07, 2012, 12:42:48 AM
Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on March 07, 2012, 12:16:00 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 06, 2012, 11:33:36 PM
Anyone who can live on an island made of poison kinda has to think of themselves as supernaturally badass, I would think.

"made of poison"?

I thought my white ancestors brought the poison. Could you please clarify?

British nuclear testing? Over-use of DDT? Introduction of Cane Toads? What?
blue ring octopus
every snake
box jellyfish
stone fish
red back spider
funnel web spider
platypuses...

Ah. Thanks. Yes, the most poisonous snakes on the planet. But we have many pythons too, just to be pedantic - not poisonous. Thankful we don't have Komodo Dragons and Killer bees.

Though, as that list shows, we have killer seas.  :rimshot:

Also, I do find it hard to take a lot of what happens here seriously, it's just too funny. Though, cricket is the main exception, it is a very serious game.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 07, 2012, 12:48:17 PM
Whoa.

QuoteThe octopus produces venom that contains tetrodotoxin, 5-hydroxytryptamine, hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine, acetylcholine, and dopamine. The major neurotoxin component of blue-ringed octopus venom was originally known as maculotoxin but was later found to be identical to tetrodotoxin,[4] a neurotoxin which is also found in pufferfish that is 10,000 times more toxic than cyanide.[5] Tetrodotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and respiratory arrest within minutes of exposure, leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The toxin is produced by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus.[6]

There is no blue-ringed octopus antivenom available.
But it's so CUTE!

DAWWWWW!!!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Cain on March 07, 2012, 12:53:25 PM
The oceans of Australia are far more terrifying than the land.

You have blue-ringed octopuses, stonefish, kraits far more venomous than anything found on land, sharks, box jellyfish, sting-rays, cone-shells  and, most fun of all, saltwater crocodiles.

Don't forget drownings, which claim multiple Korean tourists annually, and every now and then a European or two. Hang on, am I being irresponsible to our tourist industry? Lucky I didn't mention the outback serial killers, the dodgy tourist operators that leave scuba-divers in the middle of the ocean accidentally to drown, and those other tourist operators whose secret outback swimming holes result in crocodiles tasting German flesh.

But don't worry! I surf every weekend in the summer, and nothing's eaten me yet. It's all part of your adventure holiday.

Where the bloddy hell are you? (or ya' as the slogan goes, but I can't type that).
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector