News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Astronomy thread

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, March 06, 2012, 11:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Hey, I don't know what time it is or what your sky conditions are right now but Mars looks awesome right now. It's (the angle will change as the night progresses) right now about three fists length down and left from the Moon. You can't fucking miss it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Q. G. Pennyworth

*read post*
*look out window*
huh, I only see one thing out there, that must be a plane or some shit where's the moon?
*look up and to the left about three fists*
darp.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 06, 2012, 11:29:33 PM
*read post*
*look out window*
huh, I only see one thing out there, that must be a plane or some shit where's the moon?
*look up and to the left about three fists*
darp.

Wish I had a telescope. The past couple of days have been pretty good for viewing Mars, even in city conditions. Also, Venus and Jupiter are pretty prominent. They'll be in the western sky right about now. They're the two really bright things that don't twinkle.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I just thought it was pretty amusing that it happened to be the only thing visible out the window when I turned my head.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 06, 2012, 11:35:30 PM
I just thought it was pretty amusing that it happened to be the only thing visible out the window when I turned my head.

:lulz:

It does look cooler than it did last night. I've been tracking it.

Twid,
Would have been an astronomer if he didn't get the music bug.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, current angle is for Boston time. You'll see the same angle at about 6:30 pm local time.

Kai

Ah, so that WAS Mars in the Eastern sky about a week ago! I thought it might be Arcturus or some other red star (been a while since I've practiced constellations). Quite a few planets visible right now.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on March 07, 2012, 01:33:59 AM
Ah, so that WAS Mars in the Eastern sky about a week ago! I thought it might be Arcturus or some other red star (been a while since I've practiced constellations). Quite a few planets visible right now.

It's been pretty good lately. They've been showing up pretty bright and clear. It's kinda tricky for me sometimes. Here in Boston you can't really discern too many constellations other than Orion and the dippers. Too much light pollution.

Kai

Quote from: An Twidsteoir on March 07, 2012, 01:37:07 AM

It's been pretty good lately. They've been showing up pretty bright and clear. It's kinda tricky for me sometimes. Here in Boston you can't really discern too many constellations other than Orion and the dippers. Too much light pollution.

Hey, if you can get the little dipper, you're doing pretty good. That constellation is far dimmer than most people think, and Polaris just as much.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on March 07, 2012, 01:39:07 AM

Hey, if you can get the little dipper, you're doing pretty good. That constellation is far dimmer than most people think, and Polaris just as much.

It is, but it's an immediately recognizable pattern. When you only see the most obvious stars it's tricky.

Though admittedly, Boston isn't the largest US city. I can only imagine how shitty the view might be in Los Angeles, for example.

Kai

Quote from: An Twidsteoir on March 07, 2012, 01:41:00 AM

It is, but it's an immediately recognizable pattern. When you only see the most obvious stars it's tricky.

Though admittedly, Boston isn't the largest US city. I can only imagine how shitty the view might be in Los Angeles, for example.

Neil Degrasse Tyson grew up in Manhattan. Imagine how hard it was for HIM to see stuff with his telescope.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on March 07, 2012, 01:51:16 AM

Neil Degrasse Tyson grew up in Manhattan. Imagine how hard it was for HIM to see stuff with his telescope.

Jeez, I know. I just went back outside for a minute, and I could spot maybe 3 individual stars on the ecliptic, and a few ransom ones here and there. No discernible patterns. Damned if I know which stars they were.

Also, that man is the shit, I watched a Nova thing with him on it earlier today.

Nephew Twiddleton

Though the moon is almost full, so that's altering things too.

LMNO

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on March 07, 2012, 01:51:16 AM

Nonsense.  NDT simply willed the stars into appearing, merely by using his already-budding powers of Awesome™.