News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

The bridges

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 11, 2012, 05:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

In an architectural/aesthetic sense, the St. Johns bridge is my overwhelming favorite, but for sheer horror Hawthorne wins hands-down. I usually walk across it on my way back from an excursion to downtown and I'm always bemused by having to make the choice of putting my earbuds in and turning the music up loud enough to drown out the song of the bridge and the yells of the CHUDS living in/under it or leaving them out and exposing myself to the siren song so that I might hear if I'm about to get taken out from behind by a vehicle sliding on the grates.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Morrison bridge is one of the most innocuous bridges in Portland. It's heavily traveled and well-designed, and nobody really loves or hates it. Its most distinguishing characteristic, besides the unsettling giant bascule action of the raising mechanism, is probably the colored lighting (shared by many bridges in town) which highlight its piers at night. The current incarnation was built in 1958 and has the dubious distinction of being "the largest mechanical device in Oregon".

The neighborhood it passes over is a light industrial/warehouse area with the catchy name "Central Eastside Industrial District". However, as it slowly converts to lofts, galleries, and restaurants, a push is underway to rename it "Produce Row", which is pretty much what everyone has always called it anyway. Once upon a time, that was where all the groceries that came into Portland were unloaded. Corno's was a household name back then; sadly, the old Corno's building was recently demolished.

The Morrison bridge has been in the papers recently due to the unprovoked shooting of two homeless men under the bridge. The men, who were longtime partners, had been turned away from the local privately-run encampment where they usually stayed, due to lack of space. A passing motorist shot them in cold blood as they slept.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 11, 2012, 07:27:31 PM
In an architectural/aesthetic sense, the St. Johns bridge is my overwhelming favorite, but for sheer horror Hawthorne wins hands-down. I usually walk across it on my way back from an excursion to downtown and I'm always bemused by having to make the choice of putting my earbuds in and turning the music up loud enough to drown out the song of the bridge and the yells of the CHUDS living in/under it or leaving them out and exposing myself to the siren song so that I might hear if I'm about to get taken out from behind by a vehicle sliding on the grates.

The St. Johns is by far the most majestic, but yeah, there's something about the Hawthorne that's just terrifying.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

El Sjaako

Quote from: Nigel on March 11, 2012, 07:43:23 PM
Its most distinguishing characteristic, besides the unsettling giant bascule action of the raising mechanism, is probably the colored lighting (shared by many bridges in town) which highlight its piers at night.

I wanted to have a look at this, and I found this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/atul666/2506794938/lightbox/

Also, you can actually pay to have the lights colored the way you want. Why would someone do that?

Kai

And this is why I will never drive in Portland. And also why everyone has a bicycle.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish