News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

labels propaganda

Started by Oysters Rockefeller, March 09, 2012, 06:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 09, 2012, 07:19:35 PM
Brilliant points to both of you. It's gonna have to be food, then.

I was just looking up glitter bomb stuff, but the association that has with the extreme left might have a similar impact to my drug stuff.

I reckon I'm going to try and amend most of these sometime today with recipes for good ol' southern cookin'.

Yeah, glitter-bombs have been co-opted these days, haven't they?

They used to be just plain ol' Jokey Smurf fun.

LMNO

It's worse than that -- they've been dismissed.  These days, when someone gets glitter bombed, the news doesn't say that a supporter for gay rights protested bigotry, they say that someone "pulled a prank" on a public figure.

Also, the day Dan Savage got glitter bombed, the entire thing shit the bed.

navkat

I almost feel like that's a good thing...elevates the art back up to "harmless and cute."

Elder Iptuous

i thought glitter bombing was initiated with the political message of gay rights?

LMNO

Quote from: navkat on March 09, 2012, 07:33:25 PM
I almost feel like that's a good thing...elevates the art back up to "harmless and cute."

???

Maybe I'm new to this, but the first I heard of glitterbombing was as a protest, just odd enough to cause embrassment and bring attention to the issue of gay rights.

Are you saying that it originated as something with as much social impact as a flash mob?

Quote from: Iptuous on March 09, 2012, 07:39:31 PM
i thought glitter bombing was initiated with the political message of gay rights?
What he said.

Elder Iptuous

the wiki page says that glitter bombing is totally gay...

navkat

It originated as a fun prank at parties and in fact, some friends of mine in Vancouver who pointed me to Discordia in the first place, were doing it waaaaaay before GLBT became such a universally-known hotbutton argument. It was innocent, like geocaching cute prizes and notes all over the city.

Doktor Howl

Oysters, well done.  You got me.

I now know not to bother explaining further when you request it.

Molon Lube

navkat

Quote from: Iptuous on March 09, 2012, 07:44:07 PM
the wiki page says that glitter bombing is totally gay...

Dude, I've mentioned glitter bombs on here as early as like 2006 or some shit. The GLBT thing is recent.

navkat

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 09, 2012, 07:47:24 PM

I feel like I missed something.

I started to respond to your "Ravers are in fact, good consumers" thing but got sidetracked. Also: I don't identify as a Raver-as-a-subtype-of-druggie type of raver. Before I went off all half-cocked, I wanted to make sure I properly groked yr meaning AAND that I though a little more critically about myself as a "good consumer" as a consequence: there's some truth to that. I may not be your typical Fendi-bag-and-a-bad-attitude consumerist but buy a lot of Dasani and I'm a sucker for stickers, sunglasses and anything that lights up.

Triple Zero

Those questionnaires are excellent!! Remind me a bit of the cognitive dissonance bumper stickers. In fact, I bet they could be cross pollinated.

As for the drug recipe thing, I think everybody including the OP agrees that it was a bad call. Which is enough for the matter as far as I'm concerned.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on March 09, 2012, 07:56:01 PM

Why?  I was referring to Oysters having asked me to clarify, then totally ignoring my response, not your lack of a response.

Molon Lube

Oysters Rockefeller

Ditto.
Not sure what your interpretation of events was, Dok. For clarifications sake, I read what you and Telarus said, agreed for the moment being, and moved on to change the posters as to relfect said agreement.
ETA: I assumed you would read my response to Telarus and figure that it applied to you as well. My bad on that.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 09, 2012, 08:02:38 PM

Ditto.
Not sure what your interpretation of events was, Dok. For clarifications sake, I read what you and Telarus said, agreed for the moment being, and moved on to change the posters as to relfect said agreement.
I assumed you would read my response to Telarus and figure that it applied to you as well. My bad on that.

If you're gonna piss down my neck, kid, at least have the common decency not to try to tell me it's raining.
Molon Lube

Oysters Rockefeller

Right. I'm not really going to argue over the internet.

You can accept what was intended as a legitimate apology for ignoring your post, or you can misinterpret me as purposely being a dick. Either way is entirely within your right, although I hope you choose not to take it personally.

'Nuff said on my part.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!